Live from the NCL Jewel May 1-15, 2023 (caution: may contain grumpiness and sarcasm.)

YVRteacher

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

July 5-19.  I don’t know Mohammad.  Actually I don’t think I know anyone on the Spirit so it will be a new ship with new (to us) people and new adventures.

Hasan spent many years on The Jewel with Steven and Noel Chaves (from India as Restaurant Manager.  Hasan (Hasi as he is called) is from Jakarta, Indonesia (not very tall and very skinny).

Edited by www3traveler
Add a comment
  • Like 1

What an adventure and it is so nice to sail along and then read along on your return trip!   I don’t know when your school year ends in Canada- but hopefully soon! You and your dad are great and so glad you get to make these great memories together (and have great pics to remind him of your journeys). You love him well and he adores you!  
   Hope you get a bit of rest as you get home! (And glad you don’t have to fly anywhere but just ship back to your visit. My sweet dad did *NOT* love the long flight from Anchorage. He tried to lay down on the airport carpet(ick) to stretch his back  (but as it was right next to a boarding gate I had to relocate him to a less busy traffic area). But after a 90 minute floor nap he was right as rain 😉

So glad the crew all got to be celebrated! They are special people and deserve it!  Our flight home we got to sit next to a sweet crew member we had met in Moderno who was starting his leave. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Thank you for the good wishes!  I hope your time on the Spirit is as special as can be!

Did you ever travel with your parents to other places?

Growing up, all my traveling was to visit relatives, mostly in Eastern Oregon.  Once I graduated and started working, I began to travel to Alaska and to parts of Europe (mostly on Rick Steves tours).  My Dad never wanted to travel and my Mom wouldn't go without him.  I did win a trip to the 1991 Super Bowl In Tampa and managed to convinced my Dad to come along.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

For people who go to the nightly theatre shows, remember pre-pandemic when the officers and crew representing all departments came on stage and sang We Are Norwegian Now, waved and received a well-deserved standing ovation?  Today this tradition returned to the Jewel!  Management teams have been pressing corporate to bring it back and tonight was the night.  We were at Maltings and as each team walked by all the people at Maltings, Magnums, Shakers and along the sides clapped and cheered. Every single crew member was cheered on.  I know that this is special in the theatre but it was also really, really special to see the crew members take in the praise and massive thank yous from all the passengers on deck 6.

Hooray for the returned tradition! I have been hoping that this would come back and I hope it goes fleetwide. Absolutely one of my favorite NCL moments on every sailing. I have been asking and everyone keeps saying it's not back yet. This is the first time I've read a report of its return. 

• Like 5

I’m home now.  Set an alarm for 7:45am this morning, left our cabin at 8:15, walked off the ship at 8:20 (we did not use priority disembarkation because there was not a line up) breezed through the port where there was no facial recognition, just a couple questions from the customs officer who asked where we lived and what we bought (3 bars of soap) and was in a taxi by 8:30.  Laundry was in the machine by 8:45am and then I went to work.

Nothing like returning from vacation to find out your principal has eliminated the teacher librarian position for the next school year.

I have a bunch of posts drafted but I’m in so much shock at the moment and am too numb to edit and pair photos with words.  

I will definitely post the last sea day and the list of officers but it may not be until later this week.

• Like 13

23 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I’m home now.  Set an alarm for 7:45am this morning, left our cabin at 8:15, walked off the ship at 8:20 (we did not use priority disembarkation because there was not a line up) breezed through the port where there was no facial recognition, just a couple questions from the customs officer who asked where we lived and what we bought (3 bars of soap) and was in a taxi by 8:30.  Laundry was in the machine by 8:45am and then I went to work.

Nothing like returning from vacation to find out your principal has eliminated the teacher librarian position for the next school year.

I have a bunch of posts drafted but I’m in so much shock at the moment and am too numb to edit and pair photos with words.  

I will definitely post the last sea day and the list of officers but it may not be until later this week.

OH WOW!!!  Very very sorry to read this posting.  I pray something good will come your way.

• Like 4

I'm so sorry to hear this!  It was so great meeting you and your Dad.  I hope you will remember all of the great times you had on this trip and this terrible news doesn't ruin it for you.  You are strong, intelligent, organized and very experienced.  I pray that this will be an opening for you to grow and find something even better.  Who ever snags you will be very lucky!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Tough news to Come home to, sending hugs and wishing for the best!!!

will be catching up on your posts as we restart our return journey.

good luck today

• Like 1

I’m so sorry to hear about the news of your position. I hope you are able to find a position that will be a good fit but I understand how difficult this will be given all the positive  relationships you must have with your students.  😢

• Like 3

This makes me sad and angry- I still remember the librarian at our our small town library by name (Octavia Felin!) and my elementary librarian. A love of reading fuels our education journeys, curiosity, imagination, and joy.   More library is what our kids need, not less. (I have a daughter who is considering librarian and I was amazed at the amount of challenging college coursework required for the library sciences. So much knowledge and so many years of school!  Praying for you for wisdom on the next steps- and whatever school nabs you will be super blessed. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I am so sorry,  I hope that your life journey brings you surprises that are wonderful.  I have a motto I read years ago that helps me get through surprises not planned for.  "Everyday is either a lesson or a blessing."  Certainly you could write a book about travels with your father.  It would bring so much joy to those who read it.  🙂

• Like 4

Sorry to hear of your job loss.

On the bright side, you could always become a full-time travel writer. As I said earlier, you have a gift and you'd be a smashing success. Think about it...

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 11

Oh no, that really suck! Librarians are so valuable in the school system - we have been lucky with the three we have had through both my kiddo's elementary years. They were all fantastic and fostered a love of reading in my kids. They are so much more than librarians! I'm hoping another position in an even better school comes your way!

• Like 2

Oh no! I'm so sorry about your position being cut. Hopefully another school or local library could use you. I had such a great relationship with my librarians growing up. I can't believe your school is making that cut.

• Like 1

This makes me so sad. Forever they have said reading is a skill that ALL others build on. To eliminate our professional skills in libraries is so short sighted. I am sure any public library (my world) would welcome you and your skills onboard. Mary Lou

• Like 1

That's such distressing news to come home to. I'm very sorry to hear that you are in this position. As others have said, school librarians are so important to foster kids' love of reading. I didn't have a school librarian growing up, but my public library had a wonderful librarian who encouraged me and definitely instilled a love of reading in me that lasts to this day. She also inspired me to become a librarian. Hope something wonderful comes along for you. ❤️

• Like 3

Thanks for all the support!  It is so appreciated.  
I am on a continuing contract with this district (26+ years!) so still have a job.  Just not the job I have now that I absolutely love. My principal is advocating for me at the district level so we will see.  It could be that I won’t know where I’ll be teaching/librarying until September. This is hard for a type A planner!  I am so, so sad at the thought of leaving but at the same time am open to a new opportunity. 

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Thanks for all the support!  It is so appreciated.  
I am on a continuing contract with this district (26+ years!) so still have a job.  Just not the job I have now that I absolutely love. My principal is advocating for me at the district level so we will see.  It could be that I won’t know where I’ll be teaching/librarying until September. This is hard for a type A planner!  I am so, so sad at the thought of leaving but at the same time am open to a new opportunity. 

Glad to hear you have some stability.  Back at MegaCorp, when I was about two years from retirement, I told my deputy that "I know exactly where I'll be two years from now but I haven't a clue where I'll be one year from now."  That proved to be absolutely true as I wound up in the strangest of places.  This too shall pass. 😎

• Like 5

I am sorry to hear about your position.  I know how much you love the school you are currently at.  Hopefully the district will find a great new home for you!

On a personal note, I want to thank you for sharing your journey with your Dad.  It was a good reminder of how precious these times with our aging parents can be and making new memories as they get older is just as important as the ones we have of them when we were young. 

• Like 4