Oosterdam - still looks Classy or Past her Prime?

VitaminSea53

I think you should try another brand. Where you do not have such worries upfront about whatever consider are "dated looks". HAL is not trendy nor glitzy. It is old shoe comfortable.

Surely you can find photos of various cruise ships online, to make a more comfortable choice up for your own expectations.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I am worried she will look tired and dated.  Has anyone been on her recently?

Just got off her yesterday and she was spotless and in fine shape.  We would sail her again.  Our last cruises have been on the Nieuw Statendam, Rotterdam and Koningsdam and though newer, we loved the Oosterdam and she is a classy ship that impressed us. Nothing tired and dated about her, in our opinion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Just got off her yesterday and she was spotless and in fine shape.  We would sail her again.  Our last cruises have been on the Nieuw Statendam, Rotterdam and Koningsdam and though newer, we loved the Oosterdam and she is a classy ship that impressed us. Nothing tired and dated about her, in our opinion.

I got off her yesterday too, and the Captain described her during a talk as an "elegant, classy, older lady who has aged well".

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We cruised on her last August from Venice in a Signature Suite and the cabin was updated and in great shape. The rest of the ship was in good shape, the only place I noticed any signs of her age were in the hallways to the cabins which were full of dents and scratches and badly needing paint and rehabbing. We book a cruise first for the itinerary, then the cruise line and then the ship, the Oosterdam last year had the best 14-day itinerary of the cruise lines we considered.

On Oosterdam now. First time was October 2019. Same.

After last 3 cruises on Princess newest ships I am back to Princess.

Nothing wrong here, but there is less going on that I prefer & it is old, small, & line ups, no bacon this week, trouble getting a Diet Coke first day- they had a few issues first 3 days. They listened and I see improvements Day 4/5.

57 minutes ago, dog said:

On Oosterdam now. First time was October 2019. Same.

After last 3 cruises on Princess newest ships I am back to Princess.

Nothing wrong here, but there is less going on that I prefer & it is old, small, & line ups, no bacon this week, trouble getting a Diet Coke first day- they had a few issues first 3 days. They listened and I see improvements Day 4/5.

We’re booked on Rotterdam TA. Love the Pinnacle class ships. We have one Princess cruise booked for September to use up FCC and that will be it for us.  Princess is so far from what it used to be.  HAL has been pretty consistent with its product and I love certain features like the Crow’s Nest.  Prefer HAL food and we really enjoy the Music Walk.  To each their own, right!

HAL keeps their ships in good to excellent shape but they do not update for the latest style trends.   Now with the Zaandam near finished TV upgrades I think all ships have the interactive tv.  Many cabins, fleet wide, have been upgraded to walking glass walled showers too.  Other than that expect traditional HAL

• Like 1

Captain Kevin of Oosterdam said she was due for a drydock session in 2025 during a Ask the Captain Q&A.

Also, we scraped the sides a bit going through the original locks on the Panama Canal.  The deck crew was busy painting the sides at the next port of Aruba.  Capt. Kevin is VERY proud of HIS ship!

Edited by DCThunder
  • Like 4

We did our transatlantic on the Oosterdam in Oct. 2022.  We loved the ship, perfect size and the crew were some of the best we've ever had.  Booked on the Rotterdam for the 2023 transatlantic but back to the Oosterdam for 2024.  Just trying to hit different departure ports.

Helen

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We’re booked on Rotterdam TA. Love the Pinnacle class ships. We have one Princess cruise booked for September to use up FCC and that will be it for us.  Princess is so far from what it used to be.  HAL has been pretty consistent with its product and I love certain features like the Crow’s Nest.  Prefer HAL food and we really enjoy the Music Walk.  To each their own, right!

We are booked on our first Pinnacle class ship, K'Dam in November, it will be interesting to compare with Celebrity's newer ship class, Apex in September. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We are booked on our first Pinnacle class ship, K'Dam in November, it will be interesting to compare with Celebrity's newer ship class, Apex in September. 

Celebrity’s Edge class is really outstanding.  Love Apex and Beyond.  We’ve already booked Ascent for 2024.  You will love it!   Beautiful and extremely innovative, great food and entertainment.  Very different experience than HAL or Princess.  

28 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Celebrity’s Edge class is really outstanding.  Love Apex and Beyond.  We’ve already booked Ascent for 2024.  You will love it!   Beautiful and extremely innovative, great food and entertainment.  Very different experience than HAL or Princess.  

We are booked in a Sky Suite on the Apex, September, and Edge next January because we hate the IV fake balcony on the E Class ships. We did an Edge IV cabin in 2019 and never again but loved the ship. That is one thing HAL has over Celebrity in the newer ships, no horrible IV cabins. We are considering a HAL 2025 Alaska cruise if we can do one on a Pinnacle class ship.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We are booked in a Sky Suite on the Apex, September, and Edge next January because we hate the IV fake balcony on the E Class ships. We did an Edge IV cabin in 2019 and never again but loved the ship. That is one thing HAL has over Celebrity in the newer ships, no horrible IV cabins. We are considering a HAL 2025 Alaska cruise if we can do one on a Pinnacle class ship.

We’re on Rotterdam TA in the fall.  We also love Pinnacle class on HAL.  Princess has become Princess Walmart, so we’re done with them.

• Like 1

We were on the Oosterdam last November for the WB Transatlantic. We had sailed with Captain Kevin Biernaert when he was the Staff Captain on the Nieuw Statendam. As previously stated, he is VERY proud to be in command of the Oosterdam. And that translates to a very, very good crew. It was one of the best we have had on HAL! 

Just prior to the Transatlantic, we had sailed on the MSC Splendida in Yacht Club sailing in the Tyrrhenian and Ionian Seas. It is only six years younger than the Oosterdam (2002 vs. 2008) but made a nicer impression if you are looking for appealing but not over the top finish. It convinced us to sail in 2023 and 2024 aboard a sister ship. That said, the Oosterdam  does feel like comfortable shoe in very good condition and I would not stop to think about sailing on her again. 

• Like 1