Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

34 minutes ago, hcat said:

More amazing  and  interesting photos...love the doors..you have enough over the years for a book!

Hard to pick favs but this one is very unique..a weed?

IMG_5114.thumb.jpeg.d182b9a2965197969f5caa734623b46b.jpeg.jpg

It’s an oriental poppy just before it flowers. We have them in our garden. Beautiful when in bloom! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JintyGirl said:

It’s an oriental poppy just before it flowers. We have them in our garden. Beautiful when in bloom! 

Thank you..brilliant looking..will google for the bloom!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

When there a few years back, did tour to Waterford.  Came back and found a nice pub in town.  Small but nice place.  

While we didn't make Waterford this trip, Dunmore did not disappoint.   The final chapter will highlight our incredible hike along the Cliff Trail.    

• Like 1

The Dunmore Cliff Walk is a hidden gem and we might have attempted the complete trail if we had more time.    

This linear walk is about a 4km round trip. For those looking for a more challenging walk which requires a good level of fitness then the section beyond Portally Cove to Rathmoylan Cove and onto Ballymacaw Cove is an almost 15km round trip.

IMG_5163.thumb.jpeg.6cfb68de314a0f44c6da0f5ac433e239.jpeg

IMG_5162.thumb.jpeg.0ff15bf5020c94778168ee033c3dcd42.jpeg

IMG_5167.thumb.jpeg.a3315ef2b6433740eb7ae8fb70981868.jpeg

IMG_5168.thumb.jpeg.56d942b75c25fefe5538172d07d3da79.jpeg

IMG_5169.thumb.jpeg.f97605d4c684e032106672902a0eb2ef.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, hcat said:

Thank you..brilliant looking..will google for the bloom!

It was indeed a Poppy -   The size of the opened bloom were incredible and about 6-8" in Diameter.     Looks like this googled picture

Oriental Poppy 'Brilliant Red' (Papaver orientale) Oriental, Papaver, Trippin, Perennials, Poppy, Seeds, Brilliant, Bloom, Flowers

There was only one in full bloom and it was a bit battered for a picture.     Poppies are very popular in California -  Especially  our  State Flower -  The California Poppy  only about 3" but a beautiful Orange Yellow -  Usually bloom in January but full blooming fields by April. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1c3444552e7608a5eb9fea21f3cb41d4.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, hcat said:

More amazing  and  interesting photos...love the doors..you have enough over the years for a book!

Probably do --- My inspiration was a book I bought when we lived in Georgian Doors of Dublin -

51Fsf7naQVL._SX218_BO1204203200_QL40_FMwebp_.webp.23a210a8b20bdec0f1d5397d92fe69a8.webp

• Like 1

Hi, Jim,

I've spent the week reading your entire thread after returning from a 19 day voyage on the Summit. Finally caught up. We actually met on the Summit on the first leg of the Iceland cruise last August.  I stopped you on the stairs to say hello. It's been fascinating to follow your adventures and all the heartfelt stories you and other shared along the way. And you certainly have an eye for captivating photos, from your doors to flowers to vistas as well as people. Thanks for taking all of us along with you and Iain. When I grow up I want to be like you. Hopefully I'll get the chance to cruise with you again and get the oppurtunity to chat a little more.

Mary Ann

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It was indeed a Poppy -   The size of the opened bloom were incredible and about 6-8" in Diameter.     Looks like this googled picture

Oriental Poppy 'Brilliant Red' (Papaver orientale) Oriental, Papaver, Trippin, Perennials, Poppy, Seeds, Brilliant, Bloom, Flowers

There was only one in full bloom and it was a bit battered for a picture.     Poppies are very popular in California -  Especially  our  State Flower -  The California Poppy  only about 3" but a beautiful Orange Yellow -  Usually bloom in January but full blooming fields by April. 

It’s way too early for them to bloom in Scotland - I’m surprised they’re out in Ireland (not known for its Mediterranean climate either). I have California poppies too which are blooming just now! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JintyGirl said:

It’s way too early for them to bloom in Scotland - I’m surprised they’re out in Ireland (not known for its Mediterranean climate either). I have California poppies too which are blooming just now! 

I’m surprised the Fuschias are out too!
They are a summer flower and here in the Pennines we have had a very wet and overcast Spring. It’s only the last couple of days that we have had any warm sun.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JintyGirl said:

gorgeous..

My mother cultivated poppies at my childhood home, Long Island  NY. She had a remarkable green thumb, excelled with roses.

so happy  CC friends post such lovely and artistic flower pics  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

Hi, Jim,

I've spent the week reading your entire thread after returning from a 19 day voyage on the Summit. Finally caught up. We actually met on the Summit on the first leg of the Iceland cruise last August.  I stopped you on the stairs to say hello. It's been fascinating to follow your adventures and all the heartfelt stories you and other shared along the way. And you certainly have an eye for captivating photos, from your doors to flowers to vistas as well as people. Thanks for taking all of us along with you and Iain. When I grow up I want to be like you. Hopefully I'll get the chance to cruise with you again and get the oppurtunity to chat a little more.

Mary Ann

Well said!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The California poppies are in full bloom now, and there are more this year than I can remember seeing in the past 10 years at least.  🙂

• Like 2

Having some catching up 

Sunday was Belfast and Iain had a surprise for Evelyn.  He made arrangements to meet his cousin that she hasn’t seen in about 25 years. 

We were to meet at the market.

IMG_5277.jpeg

• Like 8