HUGE Improvement in The Galley (The Flags really work?)

CruisingWalter

On 4/29/2023 at 7:30 AM, CruisingWalter said:

That's the nature of any food hall style eatery. They're not preparing food from a central kitchen. Each food station has its own set of orders so depending on where your order is in the stack, and how long your dish takes to prepare, that determines when your food will actually be delivered. 

I get it. But when you're just trying to have a quick breakfast, it doesn't really add to the experience.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:13 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

I get it. But when you're just trying to have a quick breakfast, it doesn't really add to the experience.

not that it matters for past experience, but we had success with the pre-ordering of room service in the evening for breakfast delivery the next day...

On 4/30/2023 at 9:46 PM, annmarz said:

When the flags were up the servers almost always came very promptly.  Wait times for food varied.

I ordered a burger and eggs (poached). The burger came out immediately but the eggs, cooked to order, came out 5 minutes later. I’m happy to have cooked to order eggs. 

20 hours ago, lisabucsfan1 said:

not that it matters for past experience, but we had success with the pre-ordering of room service in the evening for breakfast delivery the next day...

That's fine if I know when I want to have breakfast the night before. But it doesn't really lend to spontaneity.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, tangoeco88 said:

Currently on the Resilient Lady. There are no flags on the Galley. They however have lots of people who will take your order

Woooo, how is she? It's so exciting to have the three Ladyships in service. I've been eyeing the Brilliant Lady itineraries out of San Juan. I have to say they are among my favorite so far in the Caribbean. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

I've been eyeing the Brilliant Lady itineraries out of San Juan. I have to say they are among my favorite so far in the Caribbean. 

Walter, I agree with you!  I'm considering this itinerary for next April.  Just trying to decide if I should take advantage of the current promotion or take my chances and see what the next one is after the 24th.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 3:53 AM, CruisingWalter said:

Woooo, how is she? It's so exciting to have the three Ladyships in service. I've been eyeing the Brilliant Lady itineraries out of San Juan. I have to say they are among my favorite so far in the Caribbean. 

Sail with us on Southeastern Carribean Isles sailing Feb 10th 2024 and I would be glad to invite you to join us for my Father's ashes burial at sea. I don't believe I've yet seen the ceremony documented?

Kevin

On 5/5/2023 at 1:19 PM, lisabucsfan1 said:

Is room service included in the cruise fare on Virgin?  I thought I heard that it is pretty slow but ordering the night before would help. 

5 minutes ago, Marylandcruiser89 said:

Is room service included in the cruise fare on Virgin?  I thought I heard that it is pretty slow but ordering the night before would help. 

There is a $7 delivery charge for "Ship Eat," which is VV talk for room service.  This is waived for suites or if you buy something that has a charge.  For example, if you buy a specialty coffee for $5, they waive the delivery charge.  There is no gratuity, no charge for food....it is a flat delivery fee.  How long it takes depends on when you order.  We've had it take 15 minutes or 45 minutes.  Yes, you can order breakfast the night before.

8 minutes ago, cantgetin said:

There is a $7 delivery charge for "Ship Eat," which is VV talk for room service.  This is waived for suites or if you buy something that has a charge.  For example, if you buy a specialty coffee for $5, they waive the delivery charge.  There is no gratuity, no charge for food....it is a flat delivery fee.  How long it takes depends on when you order.  We've had it take 15 minutes or 45 minutes.  Yes, you can order breakfast the night before.

Good to know, thanks.  We sail in 2 weeks!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Hmmm...interesting.

Got me thinking...I have Deeb Blue Extra which includes $10 per day in specialty coffee (normally useless for me as I do not drink coffee). If I'm understanding this correctly, I can order room service every day and include a specialty coffee. The coffee comes at no cost to me, and I can throw the coffee out and, in effect, get room service for free, right?

36 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Hmmm...interesting.

Got me thinking...I have Deeb Blue Extra which includes $10 per day in specialty coffee (normally useless for me as I do not drink coffee). If I'm understanding this correctly, I can order room service every day and include a specialty coffee. The coffee comes at no cost to me, and I can throw the coffee out and, in effect, get room service for free, right?

Deep Blue Extras coffee has to come from the Grounds Club locations, not Ship Eats.

but you are better off ordering something charged for, tea, beer, red bull etc will all be better than $7 for nothing. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Hmmm...interesting.

Coffee from The Grounds Club qualifies for the $10 per cabin per day DBE deal. Brewed coffee from Sailor Eats is free, specialty coffee is not free.  If you order a specialty coffee from Ship Eats, you'll pay the $5 fee for the coffee and the $7 delivery fee is waived.  Same if you order a $5 bottle of beer or a $4 hot chocolate.

DBE does NOT include $10 per day in specialty coffee.  It includes $10 per day FROM THE GROUNDS CLUB.  That can be coffee, tea, or hot chocolate but only from those 2 locations....and it doesn't roll over from one day to the next.  It isn't $40 on a 4 day cruise, it is $10 per day.  if you spend $5 one day, you still only have $10 for each additional day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Then somebody should tell Virgin so they stop misleading people.

be.jpg.e9b4278e6d822f2c2c133792b1ed0fbc.jpg

This is different than the previous list.....We got off the ship on May 7 and the old deal of $10 per cabin per day credit at Grounds Club was in effect then....and that was the list we got as to what the benefits were.  If this is good only on specialty coffee, I, as a non-coffee drinker, will not be happy.  If it is in effect all over the ship, that's good for those who drink coffee.  I'm guessing that they didn't change anything but came up with a new ad.

34 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

i don't think that's misleading - are you saying it is re: the $10 or the location?  $10 daily implies "spend $10 per day," and the specialty coffees are offered primarily at the Grounds Club locations.

17 minutes ago, _tacocat_ said:

i don't think that's misleading - are you saying it is re: the $10 or the location?  $10 daily implies "spend $10 per day," and the specialty coffees are offered primarily at the Grounds Club locations.

I think that their issue is whether or not specialty coffee ordered from Ship Eats is included.  It never has been in the past, but this new ad doesn't say "specialty coffee, tea, or hot chocolate in The Grounds Club."  BTW, the hot chocolate is made from a powdered envelope of mix.  

18 minutes ago, _tacocat_ said:

I'm not saying anything...the screen grab is from Virgin and it directly conflicts with post #43. One says "$10 daily specialty coffee credit" and the other says "does NOT include $10 per day in specialty coffee".

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

I'm not saying anything...the screen grab is from Virgin and it directly conflicts with post #43. One says "$10 daily specialty coffee credit" and the other says "does NOT include $10 per day in specialty coffee".

post #43 says that it's just not included from any restaurant on the ship - just grounds club (which is how it works in reality).  some people reported last year that they were able to use it via ship eats or at restaurants, but i'm guessing that was actually some combination of... assertive... interactions with sailor services to get them removed, or just general forgetfulness of staff to charge them for the drinks at restaurants.

10 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Marketing talk.  What about decaf? Some cruise lines' specialty coffee includes alcoholic specialty coffee.  Also the tea and location?  They probably actually give you more than specialty caffeinated coffee but just limit the location you get it.  Terms and conditions usually cover the details.