Barcelona airport waiting game

dezzy

We are arriving in Barcelona at 7am but our flight is not until 7.45pm. Our package includes transfer to the airport but I am concerned that as to what are the facilities before we can check in for our flight. Is there seating and a cafe before you get to the departure lounge. What has anyone else done with such a long waiting time? 

17 minutes ago, dezzy said:

We are arriving in Barcelona at 7am but our flight is not until 7.45pm. Our package includes transfer to the airport but I am concerned that as to what are the facilities before we can check in for our flight. Is there seating and a cafe before you get to the departure lounge. What has anyone else done with such a long waiting time? 

Have you considered forgoing the included transfer and booking a ship excursion that tours something and then drops you at the airport later in the day? Most cruises offer this.  Or maybe looking for a place to store your luggage (most train stations have a place for a few euros) and then doing a bit of independent sightseeing before going to the airport?

Sitting at the airport for 10 hours doesn’t sound like a nice end to a vacation to me. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 2

You probably will not be able to access 'airside' until 3 maybe 4 hours max, pre flight, so cafe before departure lounge really doesn't matter as you won't get there until 4pm or so.

Suggest you either look for luggage storage and explore more of Barcelona or, take a day or even a half day tour of Barcelona and store your luggage on the tour bus.  We have done similar with Spain Day Tours, by arrangement.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, there is a food court to the right of the checkin area. I've never had a problem finding a seat but I don't travel at peak times.

When do you actually have to be off the ship? When does baggage check for your specific flight open? Will you be exiting Schengen (worst case scenario, could be over an hour)?

That is a long time to be sitting at the airport.  Have you considered grabbing a taxi into town, storing your luggage at any of the many storage options, enjoying a few hours in Barcelona, and later taking a taxi out to the airport?  Here is a link to just one (of several) luggage storage sites:

Luggage storage Barcelona | See all 99+ convenient locations (usebounce.com).

Hank

• Thanks 1

Consider a private tour with Spain Day Tours or other providers.  They can pick you up at the ship and take you on a tour of Barcelona, which can include tickets to La Sagrada Famila.  They could also take you to Monserrat and then visit a cava winery and lunch.  Your luggage will be safe in the car and they will get you to the airport by 4:30, which is the earliest you would be allowed to go through security for your flight. 

Else, consider the options of luggage storage and touring Barcelona on your own. 

The prospect of sitting at the airport for at least 7 hours before  you can even get to the lounge/gates side is horrendous.  You. really have more than enough time for an enjoyable day in and around Barcelona.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The ship I was on had one baggage tag scheduled for after lunch, I presume to accomodate later flights. I personally was not off til 10.30. My drink package was  valid until I left.

A day tour is certainly possible, but if you want to keep things simple, it may not be as dire as you expect.

Edited by Dancer Bob

• 1 month later...

As you disembark where you pick up your cases there is a company for a few euros will store and deliver your cases for you to the airport.

This may well work for you then you could enjoy a few hours in Barcelona.

Back to the question there’s lots of eating places at the airport.

On 4/11/2023 at 8:34 PM, dezzy said:

Is there seating and a cafe before you get to the departure lounge.

The answer might depend on which of the two terminals you are flying from. We were recently at Terminal 2 (for about four hours). There is a cafe in the check-in area but very limited seating other than the cade. Once in the departure lounge, there's a another cafe, shop and plenty of seating. I've no idea of the Terminal 1 facilities. 

• 2 weeks later...

Check your Cruise planer for onboard activities “stay awhile” in case you want fo delay disembarkation and hang out at the pool (if you are on Symphony of the Seas)

Edited by marymunro