Wine Selections

Deckhawk

25 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Lot’s of comments about Oregon pinots.  They’re are certainly some great ones but the CA Anderson Valley pinots can be pretty fabulous too.  

But not a patch on the originals and IMHO nothing like as good as those from Tassie and New Zealand.

33 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Lot’s of comments about Oregon pinots.  They’re are certainly some great ones but the CA Anderson Valley pinots can be pretty fabulous too.  

And I have had the Anderson Valley Pinot in the last few days on the Moon.

Tasmania is now producing some excellent Pinot Noirs and Sauvignon blancs. However they are a bit more in price than those from the mainland and NZ.

In Launceston, Tasmania they have a Pinot Noir shop where I was to be seen quite often.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Strumdatjag said:

Good for SS.  The Kiwi Sauvignon Blanca are among the best in the world.  The wine snobs will only reach for a Cloudy Bay if at all.  Their Pinot Noir is also very good and at a much more reasonable price than an Oregon Pinot Noir like Domaine Serene.  The reds from Australia are impressive, though there seems to be less hype for them in the wine press these days.   That more than quality is keeping the prices lower. 

Costco sells the excellent Craggy Range Sauvignon Blanc for about $16 a bottle--the best wine deal they have. Beats having to ship it to the US from NZ.

1 minute ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

They have at my Costco again at $10.99, which has led to our Total Wine dropping their price to match. 

My two favorite wine shopping places:  Costco and Total Wine

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

My two favorite wine shopping places:  Costco and Total Wine

One of the best things about Costco's wine selection is that Total Wine will match their prices and they're much closer.  I'm afraid that Total Wine's loyalty program and their well-targeted offers are much too effective, though. 😆

Just now, Dolcevita Diva said:

One of the best things about Costco's wine selection is that Total Wine will match their prices and they're much closer.  I'm afraid that Total Wine's loyalty program and their well-targeted offers are much too effective, though. 😆

Total Wine's prices are usually very close to Costco prices, and they have a much greater selection.  Especially when it comes to liquor.

Both are about the same distance away for me.  I like Costco for everything else:  the meats, the $1.50 hotdog, etc.

28 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Total Wine's prices are usually very close to Costco prices, and they have a much greater selection.  Especially when it comes to liquor.

Both are about the same distance away for me.  I like Costco for everything else:  the meats, the $1.50 hotdog, etc.

Maybe we got a bit far afield from SS Talk. But my problem with Total Wine is their many wines which are bottled just for them.   There often is a rating from some heretofore unknown reviewer (Not Wine Spectator/Enthusiast/Advocate, Robert Parker etc).  I suspect it’s like the bogus “National Sleep Foundation” which used to give an endorsement to the “My Pillow”.   At Total Wine, they often have young attractive ladies pouring samples and then trying to sell them to me.  Of course, the wine tastes better (at the store) than at home.   
So, maybe the complimentary wine on SS will taste better than the Con List wine, depending on - - - No!  There’s no good way to say this. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Strumdatjag said:

Maybe we got a bit far afield from SS Talk. But my problem with Total Wine is their many wines which are bottled just for them.   There often is a rating from some heretofore unknown reviewer (Not Wine Spectator/Enthusiast/Advocate, Robert Parker etc).  I suspect it’s like the bogus “National Sleep Foundation” which used to give an endorsement to the “My Pillow”.   At Total Wine, they often have young attractive ladies pouring samples and then trying to sell them to me.  Of course, the wine tastes better (at the store) than at home.   
So, maybe the complimentary wine on SS will taste better than the Con List wine, depending on - - - No!  There’s no good way to say this. 

They could give me a sample of water, and I'm such a sucker I'd probably buy some.  LOL

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

The free Pepsi re-fills.

1 hour ago, Strumdatjag said:

Watch out for those Lady boys you can't trust them.

On 4/19/2023 at 11:32 PM, Strumdatjag said:

The reds from Australia are impressive, though there seems to be less hype for them in the wine press these days.   That more than quality is keeping the prices lower. 

Actually I think you’ll find there’s a surplus of Australian wine on the market as the Chinese are currently boycotting it due to a political fight we’re having with them - so theAussie export market is a little challenged - so it’s got to go somewhere….

On 4/21/2023 at 7:17 AM, Stickman1990 said:

Actually I think you’ll find there’s a surplus of Australian wine on the market as the Chinese are currently boycotting it due to a political fight we’re having with them - so theAussie export market is a little challenged - so it’s got to go somewhere….

Yes you are right and they are serving it on Seabourn. 

De Bortoli The Accomplice $6 a bottle.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Lord Haw Haw said:

Yes you are right and they are serving it on Seabourn. 

De Bortoli The Accomplice $6 a bottle.

omg - even cheaper than Yellowtail 

I suppose I should be glad they’re exporting it so less risk of coming across it here in Australia 

My comment re the China ban impacts some of the better quality wines - Penfolds have certainly been impacted

10 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

omg - even cheaper than Yellowtail 

I suppose I should be glad they’re exporting it so less risk of coming across it here in Australia 

Hey now. We cut our teeth on that back in the '90s. When we were feeling like something extra special we went for the reserve!

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Maybe they could bring in some Boone's Farm Strawberry Wine

One of our covid projects was a wine cellar. We used a contractor we'd used a few times before so his crew knew us well.

When the project was done they bought us a bottle of that as a gag gift for the wine cellar! It's still aging in the cellar... Anyone know the optimal "drink-by' date?

• Haha 1

But my problem with Total Wine is their many wines which are bottled just for them.   There often is a rating from some heretofore unknown reviewer (Not Wine Spectator/Enthusiast/Advocate, Robert Parker etc).  I suspect it’s like the bogus “National Sleep Foundation” which used to give an endorsement to the “My Pillow”.

Supermarkets in the UK used to use a ploy claiming a wine had won a Gold Award at a wine fair. They forgot to mention that sometimes there were only one or two wines in the award class! So there was no option but to get either a gold or silver award.