Extraordinary Savings Sale

Flatbush Flyer

So many of the comments above remind me of the value of KISS: Keep it simple, stupid. I stick to Cruise Only and we do the rest ourselves. 

Having booked 5 cruises since Feb 2021 on my own (and sailed twice with no issues) with O, I've never had a problem changing a booking to get a better sale. When I called my O rep about the ESS, we took each of the 2 bookings covered by it one at a time. She noted how I'd gone from lower cabin to higher cabin already on a cabin-upgrade sale and she then upgraded me again for even less money. As I go from C to B4 to B3 or F to A3. Sale by sale. Always doing the math.

Can't wait to see what I end up with the late 2024 Baltic cruise. Already gone G to C during one cabin-upgrade sale. Hoping another will move me to a B or A on sale. Time will tell.

I've tried to read most of the comments here so I know there's lots of savings to be had on this promotion, sale or whatever they want to call it. We always work through a TA who is now in the middle of the Pacific and of course won't be able to get in touch right away and she definitely will NOT be able to phone O. 

Here's the lowdown. We paid $7,699/pp for a B3 on Riviera for July. I called O to get their ESS quote and they said a B3 would be $3,399/pp (without O'Life Ultimate). That's a saving of $8,600 which sure buys a lot of booze and excursions (we're silver so grats are irrelevant.) When I mentioned to the O agent that we had a booking he went cold and basically won't touch us with a barge pole.

Any suggestions?

Steve

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

So many of the comments above remind me of the value of KISS: Keep it simple, stupid. I stick to Cruise Only and we do the rest ourselves. 

Having booked 5 cruises since Feb 2021 on my own (and sailed twice with no issues) with O, I've never had a problem changing a booking to get a better sale. When I called my O rep about the ESS, we took each of the 2 bookings covered by it one at a time. She noted how I'd gone from lower cabin to higher cabin already on a cabin-upgrade sale and she then upgraded me again for even less money. As I go from C to B4 to B3 or F to A3. Sale by sale. Always doing the math.

Can't wait to see what I end up with the late 2024 Baltic cruise. Already gone G to C during one cabin-upgrade sale. Hoping another will move me to a B or A on sale. Time will tell.

Yes dealing with my O rep I also have not had any problems, the problems arise when I deal with the TAs, yet it is hard to give up the rebates. Overall, I think I am ahead but not without the hassles.

29 minutes ago, cancruisers said:

I've tried to read most of the comments here so I know there's lots of savings to be had on this promotion, sale or whatever they want to call it. We always work through a TA who is now in the middle of the Pacific and of course won't be able to get in touch right away and she definitely will NOT be able to phone O. 

Here's the lowdown. We paid $7,699/pp for a B3 on Riviera for July. I called O to get their ESS quote and they said a B3 would be $3,399/pp (without O'Life Ultimate). That's a saving of $8,600 which sure buys a lot of booze and excursions (we're silver so grats are irrelevant.) When I mentioned to the O agent that we had a booking he went cold and basically won't touch us with a barge pole.

Any suggestions?

Steve

I am sure your TA  has some way to contact O   but maybe someone in the agency where they work can assist

Have you called their office?

50 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am sure your TA  has some way to contact O   but maybe someone in the agency where they work can assist

Have you called their office?

I've sent an email to her but will probably call the office by end of day if I haven't heard anything. 

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, cancruisers said:

I've sent an email to her but will probably call the office by end of day if I haven't heard anything. 

Thanks 

I wouldn't wait too long being this is Friday - 

• Guest Services - Reservations:
  • Monday - Friday 9:00am - 9:00pm ET
  • Saturday: 9:00 am - 5:30pm
  • Sunday: Closed

The agency may not work on weekends...

2 hours ago, cancruisers said:

Any suggestions?

Steve

And your TA can’t make an O call while on a cruise - why? Cell phones work on ship or shore (and most major cell carriers now have some form of land calling “passport” for $10/day.

With cabin availability in your level a requirement for the price match, time is of the essence. Doesn’t her agency have a 24/7 customer services line you could call instead? Or, can’t she connect with the O Ambassador onboard to make any needed changes or, at least, call O for her on the ship’s phone. 

I’d be very concerned about using a TA that doesn’t have a mechanism for emergency contact.

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

The current ESS promotion includes my upcoming Bangkok to Tokyo cruise (June 2-20).  For the past month plus every cabin category has been "wait listed".  If there is no cabin availability and a wait list for every category (and well past final payment) "how and why" would Oceania include the cruise in the ESS promotion?  Would I be wasting my time by calling either Oceania or my TA?

Joel Barry

2 minutes ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

Dear Fellow Cruisers:

The current ESS promotion includes my upcoming Bangkok to Tokyo cruise (June 2-20).  For the past month plus every cabin category has been "wait listed".  If there is no cabin availability and a wait list for every category (and well past final payment) "how and why" would Oceania include the cruise in the ESS promotion?  Would I be wasting my time by calling either Oceania or my TA?

Joel Barry

If only one current booking cancels, that cabin level will again have availability, which would allow the sale price to be applied to that level cabin.

Joel,

By all means call your TA or Oceania.  If you can benefit, why not ask.  There are lots of reasons there could be availability, like a big Group cancelling and getting close to sailing date on a hard to sell cruise, etc.

Good Luck 

Mauibabes

• Like 1

This is all very interesting!

I always book directly with O, because I figure if I ever have an issue I can deal with an O rep rather than going through a middle person (TA). That's just me.

With all this communication regarding the sales, I thought I would go on the O site. Although we happen to have 2 cruises purchased this summer (usually we just take 1), there was no banner saying anything about an extraordinary sale. We've taken a cruise every year (not during Covid) & I've never seen anything about a "sale."

However, I book quite a few months in advance (usually about 8 or 9, never 1 year away).

I always get an "early booking" savings (which is 1/2 off the listed cruise fare), as well as a "bonus discount" which might be another 12ish%.

Question: Do those of you who book early (thus the "early booking discount") & the "bonus discount"  get a 3rd discount if you see that your cruise is now on sale for less than the original listed "cruise fare?"

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, ec6393 said:

I always book directly with O, because I figure if I ever have an issue I can deal with an O rep rather than going through a middle person (TA). That's just me.

With all this communication regarding the sales, I thought I would go on the O site. Although we happen to have 2 cruises purchased this summer (usually we just take 1), there was no banner saying anything about an extraordinary sale. We've taken a cruise every year (not during Covid) & I've never seen anything about a "sale."

However, I book quite a few months in advance (usually about 8 or 9, never 1 year away).

I always get an "early booking" savings (which is 1/2 off the listed cruise fare), as well as a "bonus discount" which might be another 12ish%.

Question: Do those of you who book early (thus the "early booking discount") & the "bonus discount"  get a 3rd discount if you see that your cruise is now on sale for less than the original listed "cruise fare?"

Thanks.

Yes, call “O”. Not ever cruise has this sale. Mine did. Large savings.

10 minutes ago, ec6393 said:

I am surprised you do not see the Sale listed  on O website   it  is a large  ad right there  near the top of the page

image.thumb.png.7e10ee2145141b86bc1ce6955b54d4b8.png

20 minutes ago, ec6393 said:

Thanks.

As the old saying goes: “We need to talk” (about your misconceptions).

First- as regards TAs: Remember that you and I (and everyone else in this thread) don’t amount to more than a rounding error in O’s daily bottom line. The right, high volume O selling TA, however, may book $ millions in a single week. So, while you’re on hold waiting for an O phone rep (who works for and is paid/controlled by O), that TA might get your “issue”!fixed with a quick speed dial to the O regional sales manager.

Next, are you sure you’re looking at the real O website? Right on the home page, it shows the Extraordinary Savings promo.

And, as regards those invoice terms like the brochure “cruise fare,” no one pays that fare - ever. And pretty much everyone gets the “early booking bonus.” The real savings come from “book onboard” and special sales discounts ( to which you add the O Club perks and, separately, your TA perks like commission sharing. 

For example, one of my current bookings has a book onboard discount plus the extraordinary savings discount plus O Club perks and a hefty rebate check from the TA.

Do the research and find a good O savvy TA. 

30 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am surprised you do not see the Sale listed  on O website   it  is a large  ad right there  near the top of the page

image.thumb.png.7e10ee2145141b86bc1ce6955b54d4b8.png

OMG! Yes it is there in plain can't miss sight.

I didn't see it because I went right to "plan a cruise" & expected to see it there.

Can you tell I'm new at this?

Next time I will have to read the not so "fine small print."  🤦‍♀️🙄

Thank you very much.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

First- as regards TAs: Remember that you and I (and everyone else in this thread) don’t amount to more than a rounding error in O’s daily bottom line. The right, high volume O selling TA, however, may book $ millions in a single week. So, while you’re on hold waiting for an O phone rep (who works for and is paid/controlled by O), that TA might get your “issue”!fixed with a quick speed dial to the O regional sales manager.

Next, are you sure you’re looking at the real O website? Right on the home page, it shows the Extraordinary Savings promo.

And, as regards those invoice terms like the brochure “cruise fare,” no one pays that fare - ever. And pretty much everyone gets the “early booking bonus.” The real savings come from “book onboard” and special sales discounts ( to which you add the O Club perks and, separately, your TA perks like commission sharing. 

For example, one of my current bookings has a book onboard discount plus the extraordinary savings discount plus O Club perks and a hefty rebate check from the TA.

You are a wealth of knowledge. I figured people got discounts & that no one paid the listed price....which is crazy. However, for example, I don't know what is considered "early booking."

I suppose O decides that, along with "bonus discount" depending on how full the ship is getting. ???

After my husband & I were on our own (kids flew the nest) we always rented a car and drove around areas of Europe each summer for a couple of weeks. When we were in Sicily my husband got gout & since he had never had it before we didn't know what it was. I won't bore you with the details, but after that we started cruising because if we had a medical problem (& one never knows when one might appear) there would be a physician aboard....at least part of the time.

Needless to say, we've never looked back as far as renting a car & traveling on our own (although we loved doing that). Wonder if age (or my husband's driving 😉) has anything to do with liking the switch to cruising?

27 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We did need to talk & I appreciate all your info. 😀

Thank you.

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

The agents I know all have someone else look after their stuff if they are not able to. Is this agent a sole practitioner?

We used our TA's buddy and the cruise is now resolved. We were upgraded to PH1 with oodles of OBC but NO cash back which didn't surprise me since why would they give anything back once they get it.

This was one of 3 options presented  - the other 2 being keep existing cabin and take the savings (almost $8000) in an OBC or FCC. We took option 1 as a bird in the hand is always better.

Thanks everyone, Steve

Edited by cancruisers
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, ec6393 said:

You are a wealth of knowledge. I figured people got discounts & that no one paid the listed price....which is crazy. However, for example, I don't know what is considered "early booking."

I suppose O decides that, along with "bonus discount" depending on how full the ship is getting. ???

Maybe anything before final payment  is early booking 😄

52 minutes ago, cancruisers said:

We used our TA's buddy and the cruise is now resolved. We were upgraded to PH1 with oodles of OBC but NO cash back which didn't surprise me since why would they give anything back once they get it.

This was one of 3 options presented  - the other 2 being keep existing cabin and take the savings (almost $8000) in an OBC or FCC. We took option 1 as a bird in the hand is always better.

Thanks everyone, Steve

I would  have taken the FCC  😉

Glad you got something  that works  for you

1 hour ago, ec6393 said:

You are a wealth of knowledge. I figured people got discounts & that no one paid the listed price....which is crazy.

It took a few early on booking mistakes to catalyze my interest in O policies.

Listing prices folks will never have to pay isn’t crazy. Just think of automotive MSRP $. Whoever would’ve foolish enough to pay that “list price.” (pre-COVID’s supply chain issues). 

On 4/20/2023 at 11:53 AM, Wynterwynd said:

It never hurts to ask…I almost didn’t bother since the website showed a slightly higher price than what I paid, but if they are sending out sales (via print), then it seems to me they owe a little something to those who are loyal/interested/comment on social media/etc

I asked my TA to express my disappointment if they refused to consider anything.  I included a screen print of the brochure pricing.  She got back to me within 48 hours with what I considered to be a more than reasonable resolution (all SBC, but in an amount equal to what the difference in pricing was).  While we lost the other included items, the new SBC more than makes up for that.

Good luck!

checking with my TA after a week of requesting, and despite what I booked being $12,500 less now, nothing is forthcoming from O. I even suggested just upgrading me to a PH or something, which would still leave me paying $6000 more than current pricing. TA isn't done yet, but no positive outcome for me (yet).

Edited by dszrew

3 hours ago, dszrew said:

checking with my TA after a week of requesting, and despite what I booked being $12,500 less now, nothing is forthcoming from O. I even suggested just upgrading me to a PH or something, which would still leave me paying $6000 more than current pricing. TA isn't done yet, but no positive outcome for me (yet).

Cancel and rebook at the lower price if your TA isn't being fast enough (or book with someone else then cancel)? My TA always gets resolution in less than a day.