Extraordinary Savings Sale

Flatbush Flyer

28 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Not everyone is like you

Other people will spend their money the way they want

And did I say otherwise? I do, too. I bring my own alcohol and get cabins off cabin-upgrade sales. To each their own.

Funny, though, isn't it how this ESS seems to catch people's attention? As they try to save money. Crying and whining if they can't, for one reason or another. And the ANGST for so many when O raised the prices for the Ultimate Package. Whole threads devoted to that horror! The sky was falling then....

On 4/21/2023 at 4:55 PM, dszrew said:

checking with my TA after a week of requesting, and despite what I booked being $12,500 less now, nothing is forthcoming from O. I even suggested just upgrading me to a PH or something

Just yesterday my TA got us upgraded from Oceanview (C) to PH2 - with $480.00 OBC (we were past final payment on our cruise).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

That is huge! Enjoy

Yes - quite a surprise...very nice benefits involved & unexpected until I saw info about the 'Extraordinary' sale here on CC...gotta love it. 

On 4/19/2023 at 6:16 PM, harlor said:

Only one leg of our BTB is on the extraordinary savings. We're on the Riviera to France/Spain in May/June. Since we already paid in full, and the discounted leg of the cruise is waitlist only, O said no to our agent who asked about the extraordinary savings pricing. Anyone have any luck in getting the savings with only one leg of the BTB being discounted? 

Could someone explain what beverage package is included in the Ultimate perk? Just wine/beer with lunch and dinner? Is it possible to pay a little more if it's just the beer/wine package and get the full beverage package?

Thank you 

Loretta

We have the ultimate package. It was explained to me that it would be $30-ish/pp/day to upgrade. 2 cocktails??

Just got a call from my travel agent Oceania has agreed to upgrade us from regular balcony to a Penthouse plus give us an additional $1400 on board credit for our Aug 5th sailing. Thanks to everyone’s help. Travel agent called O last week and they said upgrade wasn’t possible since our B4 Catagory was sold out. After the advice on this forum I called the travel agent again this week and the upgrade was offered.

It really does depend on who and when you call. 

Edited by Gangway
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Has anyone heard Oceania’s radio advertisement?

Is anyone at all somewhat concerned about this sale? Thousands of dollars less. Upgrades and FCC to those beyond Final Payment. Makes me think back to Renaissance Cruise Line when prices were being reduced every few weeks and every time you called you received a refund check.   

Which radio station?

16 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Has anyone heard Oceania’s radio advertisement?

What  does that ad say?

We may not get the  same  radio ad you do  plus I only listen the radio in the car

I don’t understand this sale. I have called three times to Oceania and twice TA. 
I booked three cruises in November 2022. There must have been a promotion then. 
No one can give me any extras, lower the price or give me a cabin upgrade. 
I can rebook but the cost to me would increase.  

Example of one cruise. Other two similar pricing, more because they are 11day

Bermuda 
My cruise fair is $8798

early booking discount $4399

bonus discount $900

addition savings $619

air credit $400

OBC $200

Brings it to $2480

Seems like about as low as they can go. 
I’m solo so maybe that’s why I get nothing additional. 

2 hours ago, Wasasalad said:

I don’t understand this sale. I have called three times to Oceania and twice TA. 

Bermuda 
My cruise fair is $8798

bonus discount $900

addition savings $619

air credit $400

OBC $200

Brings it to $2480

Not sure if that is their best price  or not

Maybe  to do with solo fares

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wasasalad said:

Bermuda 
My cruise fair is $8798

bonus discount $900

addition savings $619

air credit $400

OBC $200

Brings it to $2480

I'm in a similar position. My sailing is the middle of May, I have a solo booking. The only categories sold out are the top suites. It's part of the current sale but my TA has called 2X and O has said no to reducing the rate, giving me OBC and/or giving me a higher category. 

I finally managed to nudge my original TA to re-book/adjust our original booking with the current promotional prices, resulting in about $1,500 reduction in the total cost of the cruise, and an upgrade from Category C to A3.  If we include the value of the 3 free loads of laundry (that comes with Category A cabins), I think the net savings is more than that.

The trick is to, unfortunately, to ask the original TA to cancel the booking.  This resulted in the TA suddenly willing to re-price the cruise.  I did not fire our long-term TA because the price he gave me after “The Threat” was very good.

I’m hoping that, next time, I don’t have to resort to “The Threat.”. I’m hoping that our TA and I have an understanding regarding issues like this.  I am assuming that the re-pricing resulted in slightly reduced commission, but that was still better than no commission at all.

I’m not encouraging others to take drastic measures like this to have your TA re-price your cruise, but I certainly had to resort to this.

Edited by Psoque
added more detail
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have yet to find a TA that is good with rebates and service. It's pretty much one or the other. 

Mine said our original price is best. I didn't trust it. Got in touch with the O rep we deal with. He reprised it and said the same thing.  Him I trust.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 7:42 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Every once in awhile, there’s temporary O prices so low that they don’t show on the O web (this is in addition to the rotating TA “quiet sales.”

One of those times is going on right now. If you look on the O website and click on the Extraordinary Savings banner, you’ll see a whole bunch of remaining 2023 cruises on “the list.” 
I saw one of my current bookings on the list and, while checking on an out-of-the-blue <$200 O refund that just appeared on my credit card account, asked the O rep to look up the current price for my cabin class (since I had originally booked it onboard and, even transferring it to my TA, I have the price drop match guarantee!

In checking, the agent said “only cabin availability is in C and below and the savings are huge” (and they are- like >$1k/pp for a C on a 3 week cruise).

Since we’re in a higher cabin level and don’t want to move, that’s the end of the new deal for me. Yes, there’s that pesky Book Onboard “price drop match” fine print that requires cabin availability in your class in order for the price match to be OK.

In any case, there may be some of you who are still looking for a 2023 cruise. So, you may want to check out the “Extraordinary Savings” list now on the O website. However, to get the sale price (which is not listed), you’ll need to call your TA or O direct.

In today's mail is the 2023 Extraordinary Sales brochure showing the ESS prices! The cruise we have booked in October is in there, although it appears as everything "waitlisted" on-line. 35% discounts.

Any great deals from Singapore to Aust or Aust to NZ and visa versa 2023/early 2024.  I did see some on line but now have had trouble opening details. I returned a call from cruise line but the offer here finishes on 1st May. 

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and insights. They were so helpful.

Since we are booked on B2B cruises, Oceania maintained that it could not let us take advantage of the significantly reduced pricing now being offered for the last segment of our cruise (15 days). (We had paid for the complete B2B cruise package several months ago.) After much effort from us, and from our TA, we were able to get a balcony to penthouse upgrade for a 2024 cruise, yielding a similar savings. Seems that results depended, in part, on the Oceania personnel that cruisers or their TAs were able to reach.

Thanks again and happy travels to all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SATaxman said:

In today's mail is the 2023 Extraordinary Sales brochure showing the ESS prices! The cruise we have booked in October is in there, although it appears as everything "waitlisted" on-line. 35% discounts.

You are SOL. But, keep checking the cabin availability while the sale continues.

On 4/28/2023 at 2:09 PM, SATaxman said:

We have the ultimate package. It was explained to me that it would be $30-ish/pp/day to upgrade. 2 cocktails??

I am afraid to ask  but here goes

What does that mean?

Yes if you have the O Life perk which  is wine/beer only  during lunch & dinner

Once onboard you can upgrade to the Prestige package for $30 PP PD  for  unlimited drinks  anytime   some exceptions on the beverages apply

14 hours ago, Fairwinds789 said:

Since we are booked on B2B cruises, Oceania maintained that it could not let us take advantage of the significantly reduced pricing now being offered for the last segment of our cruise (15 days). (We had paid for the complete B2B cruise package several months ago.) After much effort from us, and from our TA, we were able to get a balcony to penthouse upgrade for a 2024 cruise, yielding a similar savings. Seems that results depended, in part, on the Oceania personnel that cruisers or their TAs were able to reach.

@Fairwinds789 In my first dealings with Oceania, I have found the same thing.  My TA was so impressed with the person from Oceania she spoke with, she asked for a direct line to her.  This is not just an Oceania thing.  The "Right Person" approach works for all airlines and cruise brands.  Some times it is simply the luck of the draw.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Psoque said:

The trick is to, unfortunately, to ask the original TA to cancel the booking.  This resulted in the TA suddenly willing to re-price the cruise.  I did not fire our long-term TA because the price he gave me after “The Threat” was very good.

@Psoque I know I sound like a broken record, but here goes.  I am a "Newbie" on Oceania but not on cruising.  44 years of cruise vacations on other brands.  The issue you had with your TA for ME was not uncommon.  I did trial and error on TA.  I found a good one now.

As my current agent told me every time I ask for a change, or inquiry; Oceania take some time on hold to handle it.  She has learned to call at specific hours to get a quicker response.  The issue as she describe it to me was, "Travel Agents make a commission.  It is nice but not over the top.  When making to many changes or inquiries, the time invested makes the commission less then great.  The GREAT agents understand that and know, once they fully understand the clients needs, most of the questions or adjustment can be handled on the initial reservation.  Another words, great agents play the long game."

Another experience I have had is some folk love their agents and when I used them, I did not.  So like Oceania Agents online, it is hit or miss on TA as well.  Again, this is ONLY my perspective.  My experience.  Not meant to be anyone else. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fairwinds789 said:

The term “B2B” on Oceania is useless in understanding O’s idiosyncrasies. 
As I have posted a zillion times, there are three main types of multi-segment O bookings and the importance of understanding that difference can save you (or cost you) $ thousands.

1) O publishes many multi-segment cruises as “Extended Journeys” - most often two consecutive segments totaling up to approx. two months in duration. They have a single booking number and, generally, cannot be disaggregated to qualify for sales that affect one of the multi-segments (or even both single segments). Why? The two segments have already been discounted significantly and O’s “default” rule is “no double dipping.”

2) O publishes some select/longer cruises (most often 3 or more segments totaling more than two months in duration) as “Grand Voyages.” They are treated exactly the same as Extended Journeys regarding booking policies/procedures including a significantly discounted fare. What difference exists is usually additional perks like free laundry et al. 
Years ago, there were quite a few Grand Journeys published. There was even a section in the fat brochures and on the website’s Find a Cruise called Grand Voyages where O then started also listing the shorter Extended Journeys. But then, the Grand Journey arrangements disappeared for quite a number of years. But O never changed the Find a Cruise section title that then only housed the shorter Extended Journeys. That changed this year with the reintroduction of actual long Grand Journeys - three of them starting in December 2023. 
3) Combination (aka Custom) Cruises are UNPUBLISHED multisegment cruises that you assemble as a single itinerary comprising X number of consecutive segments. They get an approx. 5% discount on the combined individual fares (which may not be as much as the Extended Journey and Grand Voyage fare savings). However, Combo/Custom cruises get O Club perks for each of the included segments as well as option for air credit that is per segment. Those extra “perks” may easily add up to more than the savings in the discounted EJ and GV fares.
NO- you can’t make a Custom Cruise out of two EJs. That would violate O’s dislike for “double dipping.” 

Why is understanding the difference important (even to the point of using the right terminology when seeking a Cruise Critic answer about fare savings)?

The perfect example is this Extraordinary Savings Sale. Only one segment of your multisegment cruise on sale? If it’s a Custom Cruise (and there’s cabin availability in your category), YES. If it’s an Extended Journey or a Grand Voyage NO (though, in rare instances, an “elite”  O Club member [Platinum or above] and/or the right TA, who is a top seller of O, may get some added SBC as a consolation).

OOPS! One more very important item. Book Onboard cruises still have their price drop match guarantee (as long as there’s cabin availability in your cabin category) and, if you have a custom cruise booking, that guarantee is the main point you want to make in asking for a sale price adjustment on the segment in question. And don’t buy any argument you get that “you’ll have to rebook and the current prices/perks will negate your sale savings”!

BTW: Always remember that some perks are not combinable (e.g., Book Onboard discount and Ultimate O Life). Make a habit of reading the O T&Cs and Ticket Contract- particularly as regards Promotions.

Complicating this rather simple distinction is the harsh reality that many O regulars, their “lovable” TAs  and even O phone reps (AND some O supervisors) either haven’t “got a clue” or (in the case of some TAs and O staff) don’t want to make an accommodation that costs them lost commissions and/or fare dollars.

In any case, I hope/expect that this post will help a few folks who are getting/believing misinformed answers about their bookings as regards this (and other “sales” still to come). 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The term “B2B” on Oceania is useless in understanding O’s idiosyncrasies. 
As I have posted a zillion times, there are three main types of multi-segment O bookings and the importance of understanding that difference can save you (or cost you) $ thousands.

1) O publishes many multi-segment cruises as “Extended Journeys” - most often two consecutive segments totaling up to approx. two months in duration. They have a single booking number and, generally, cannot be disaggregated to qualify for sales that affect one of the multi-segments (or even both single segments). Why? The two segments have already been discounted significantly and O’s “default” rule is “no double dipping.”

2) O publishes some select/longer cruises (most often 3 or more segments totaling more than two months in duration) as “Grand Voyages.” They are treated exactly the same as Extended Journeys regarding booking policies/procedures including a significantly discounted fare. What difference exists is usually additional perks like free laundry et al. 
Years ago, there were quite a few Grand Journeys published. There was even a section in the fat brochures and on the website’s Find a Cruise called Grand Voyages where O then started also listing the shorter Extended Journeys. But then, the Grand Journey arrangements disappeared for quite a number of years. But O never changed the Find a Cruise section title that then only housed the shorter Extended Journeys. That changed this year with the reintroduction of actual long Grand Journeys - three of them starting in December 2023. 
3) Combination (aka Custom) Cruises are UNPUBLISHED multisegment cruises that you assemble as a single itinerary comprising X number of consecutive segments. They get an approx. 5% discount on the combined individual fares (which may not be as much as the Extended Journey and Grand Voyage fare savings). However, Combo/Custom cruises get O Club perks for each of the included segments as well as option for air credit that is per segment. Those extra “perks” may easily add up to more than the savings in the discounted EJ and GV fares.
NO- you can’t make a Custom Cruise out of two EJs. That would violate O’s dislike for “double dipping.” 

Why is understanding the difference important (even to the point of using the right terminology when seeking a Cruise Critic answer about fare savings)?

The perfect example is this Extraordinary Savings Sale. Only one segment of your multisegment cruise on sale? If it’s a Custom Cruise (and there’s cabin availability in your category), YES. If it’s an Extended Journey or a Grand Voyage NO (though, in rare instances, an “elite”  O Club member [Platinum or above] and/or the right TA, who is a top seller of O, may get some added SBC as a consolation).

OOPS! One more very important item. Book Onboard cruises still have their price drop match guarantee (as long as there’s cabin availability in your cabin category) and, if you have a custom cruise booking, that guarantee is the main point you want to make in asking for a sale price adjustment on the segment in question. And don’t buy any argument you get that “you’ll have to rebook and the current prices/perks will negate your sale savings”!

BTW: Always remember that some perks are not combinable (e.g., Book Onboard discount and Ultimate O Life). Make a habit of reading the O T&Cs and Ticket Contract- particularly as regards Promotions.

Complicating this rather simple distinction is the harsh reality that many O regulars, their “lovable” TAs  and even O phone reps (AND some O supervisors) either haven’t “got a clue” or (in the case of some TAs and O staff) don’t want to make an accommodation that costs them lost commissions and/or fare dollars.

In any case, I hope/expect that this post will help a few folks who are getting/believing misinformed answers about their bookings as regards this (and other “sales” still to come). 

Thank you! This really helps!

Loretta