Is Le Petit Chef worth the time/money?

Sigyn

On 4/16/2023 at 8:19 AM, DaKahuna said:

We are signed up for this on our upcoming cruise.  A question I have though is do they have tables for two?  All of the settings I have seen seem to be for a 4-top.  

On edge there where tables for 2, 4 and 6 depending on group size. 

We have enjoyed all of the menus Le Petit Chef has to offer. The newest animation and menu did not really excite us either, but we were travelling with our adult children and grandchildren and we wanted them to see what it was all about. Our evening was on Millennium in March of this year.

We are so glad we did not cancel and search for an alternative. The menu, in print, does not look overly appealing, but looks can be deceiving. We chose the menu matching the animation and each dish was presented well, and it tasted fresh and delicious. As returning guests to Le Petit Chef, we were glad to be a part of the evening.

The better part was looking at the smiles on the faces of our 4 grandchildren and listening to their gentle laughter throughout the show. Family moments like this are hard to come by, and this was one special evening that we will not soon forget.

It’s difficult to put a label on Le Petit Chef because it is different things to different people. For us, it was certainly not a one and done.

Randy

• Like 3

We ate at Le Petit Chef on Millennium last night. The food really was delicious. One in our party substituted one dish, but other than that we all ate the posted menu. I was pleased that animation remained on the table as we ate each course. It seems like I remembered seeing video of the lights snapping back up and all projections ending when the food was served. 

The show was very cute and the food was worth it! I thought it was much better than any meal I’ve had at Tuscan Grille, although that’s subjective. The drinks were not good. The Moscow Mule was especially awful, and I stuck to ice water. I’d order wine if I went again. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

We have enjoyed all of the menus Le Petit Chef has to offer. The newest animation and menu did not really excite us either, but we were travelling with our adult children and grandchildren and we wanted them to see what it was all about. Our evening was on Millennium in March of this year.

It’s difficult to put a label on Le Petit Chef because it is different things to different people. For us, it was certainly not a one and done.

Thanks Randy.  I can see the appeal for anyone traveling with young children.  

I just have a hard time justifying $130 on top of what we paid for this cruise for a single meal.  We've eaten in some very nice restaurants for less than that, including drinks.  We paid less than that for Tuscan, which has a much more extensive menu.  

I guess we are just showing our age. 

Give our regards to your lovely wife.  I'll be starting my "Live Revew" late this afternoon as we head to the hotel tonight and fly south tomorrow. 

• Like 1

John

Thank you so much for offering your time to do a Live Review. We have not done a Panama Canal itinerary yet, but we have one booked for next year. Your perspective will help immensely when we sail in December 2024.

Randy

• Like 1

We have booked on the Iceland trip in July, from the reviews we have seen I don't think we are going to like the food that much (we don't like fish or onions) but would I be right in thinking it's more about the experience. We can always go fill up at the buffet afterwards.

We just returned yesterday from the Silhouette.  Had a 6 night dining package, including Le Petit.

Would be fine with young children, but I felt like the food was a big let down.  The main course was about what I cook at home....chuck roast in my crock pot!  They used to have lobster and filet.....

Murano's and Lawn Club excellent as usual.  Guess I just thought since it was a specialty restaurant it would be special.  Restaurant Mgt told me they're "working" on 3 alternatives for the future.

51 minutes ago, BridgeMates said:

We just returned yesterday from the Silhouette.  Had a 6 night dining package, including Le Petit.

Would be fine with young children, but I felt like the food was a big let down.  The main course was about what I cook at home....chuck roast in my crock pot!  They used to have lobster and filet.....

Murano's and Lawn Club excellent as usual.  Guess I just thought since it was a specialty restaurant it would be special.  Restaurant Mgt told me they're "working" on 3 alternatives for the future.

That actually makes me feel more hopeful that I will actually like the food there. We know that Murano's is more our style but we hope the experience will be worth it.

On 4/16/2023 at 10:53 PM, SoCalTraveler said:

We have done three different shows.  Very entertaining.  The service was excellent, especially considering the food is served at the same time to the guests.  The food was also very good.  Think of it as a specialty restaurant with entertainment.

We've gone as 2 twice, and once as 4.  When we went as a 4, the lady at the next table was a single, so she joined our little group. 

Here in Los Angeles the same deal costs far more than on the ship.

I have to comment on the last sentence as that is often a justification for the high prices of specialty restaurants. The (big) difference is that on a ship you are already being charged for meals. If in Luminae or Blu you are paying even more. So a fair comparison would take that into consideration.  

Th e first time we did this before Covid the menu was surf and turf, excellent food!

great service it was just so fun.

we did it this year in January and got short ribs I did not enjoy the menu at all, it was so overpriced. Like stew meat.
the show is fun, I did enjoy that as it was different then our first, the service was great but until they get back to a menu worth the money I will not partake again.

I love d Le Petit Chef, meal was great and animation funny and entertaining.  It's different so worth doing for the experience. We got a discount as they were trying to sell seats about 3 nights in to cruise, so hubby bargained with them, worth a try. 

• Like 1

The lobster & filet menu was worth the price.

The other menus are overpriced, IMO. But... we almost always go again. Why? Well...it's a new menu and we haven't done this one. And then the big selling point is: Can't get into Murano or Eden on night 5 and Luminae and Blue have dreadfully weak menus that day.

The food has always been good, just more like $30 instead of $55 good.

Based on all of this I've decided that while we'd enjoy Le Petit Chef, I don't think it's worth the $55 pp that it's going at right now, plus gratuities. If I had extra OBC to burn, then I'd definitely do it, but since it's out of pocket, I think I'll just wait and try it another time. Thank you for everyone's input!

• Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 6:47 AM, thebutlerdidit said:

We ate at Le Petit Chef on Millennium last night. The food really was delicious. One in our party substituted one dish, but other than that we all ate the posted menu. I was pleased that animation remained on the table as we ate each course. It seems like I remembered seeing video of the lights snapping back up and all projections ending when the food was served. 

The show was very cute and the food was worth it! I thought it was much better than any meal I’ve had at Tuscan Grille, although that’s subjective. The drinks were not good. The Moscow Mule was especially awful, and I stuck to ice water. I’d order wine if I went again. 

I never liked the wine choice you got with le petit chef so we bring a good bottle of wine with us.

Edited by George C

23 hours ago, spiritkat090909 said:

The lobster & filet menu was worth the price.

The other menus are overpriced, IMO. But... we almost always go again. Why? Well...it's a new menu and we haven't done this one. And then the big selling point is: Can't get into Murano or Eden on night 5 and Luminae and Blue have dreadfully weak menus that day.

The food has always been good, just more like $30 instead of $55 good.

I never liked the filet I thought quality was just so so , did really like short ribs, they didn’t have lobster option on last couple of cruises.

33 minutes ago, George C said:

I never liked the filet I thought quality was just so so , did really like short ribs, they didn’t have lobster option on last couple of cruises.

I have never had lobster so was interested in trying it but if it's not on then that's okay. We are looking forward to having this experience. I am a little bit concerned about the reviews on here but we are not experienced fine diners so whatever they should be more than we're used to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zubrette said:

I have never had lobster so was interested in trying it but if it's not on then that's okay. We are looking forward to having this experience. I am a little bit concerned about the reviews on here but we are not experienced fine diners so whatever they should be more than we're used to.

I thought the quality of the food in le petit chef has improved over last few years and the quality of the others have decreased, I also like that it is a 4 course meal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, njsmom said:

When do you get to see what the menu for Le Petit Chef will be for a particular cruise? I just had $650 OBC added to my account when I switched cabins.

The menu will be on the Celebrity app.  I am not sure how far in advance of the cruise the information is on the app.

Edited by cruiserchuck
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2023 at 12:30 PM, George C said:

We did it a few weeks ago on summit twice and I wanted to do it a third time , always a fun show , four course meal was outstanding we do it at least once on all celebrity cruises, food was far superior to Tuscan grill. ( we were in a royal suite so no charge but we do this even when we pay for it)

Thanks for the review. Did you do it twice in one cruise? We are on the Summit next month for 10 days. Will they have 2 different shows on a 10 day cruise? The app as of now shows same menu every night. TIA

30 minutes ago, scoochy12 said:

Thanks for the review. Did you do it twice in one cruise? We are on the Summit next month for 10 days. Will they have 2 different shows on a 10 day cruise? The app as of now shows same menu every night. TIA

Yes it was the same menu and we did it twice but there is a alternative menu so you could pick something different, normally they switch the menu during the week , food was really good , I wanted to do it a third time but wife wanted Tuscan which I thought was under par . Sushi at 5 was also good we did a few lunch’s there.

20 hours ago, scoochy12 said:

Thanks for the review. Did you do it twice in one cruise? We are on the Summit next month for 10 days. Will they have 2 different shows on a 10 day cruise?

There are three different shows on a 10 day cruise.