Quebec

alwaysfrantic

This isn’t mentioned as a starting point but my late summer cruise begins there.  What hotels are best for this departure?  Preference for Marriott but not a deal breaker for a great location.  We’d likely arrive a couple of days in advance to see the city. 

4 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

This isn’t mentioned as a starting point but my late summer cruise begins there.  What hotels are best for this departure?  Preference for Marriott but not a deal breaker for a great location.  We’d likely arrive a couple of days in advance to see the city. 

There are many good choices.  I suggest you look at the downtown Marriott and judge for yourself whether that's a good location for the things you'd like to see.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/yqbmc-quebec-city-marriott-downtown/overview/

3 hours ago, alwaysfrantic said:

Preference for Marriott but not a deal breaker for a great location.  We’d likely arrive a couple of days in advance to see the city. 

I'm mainly a Marriott Bonvoy person when I can for the points and unfortunately Quebec City is a pretty uninspiring place for Marriott portfolio properties. The main Marriott is fine-- modern and located just outside the gates to the old town but it feels sort of off to the side and a tiny bit out of the way. 

My personal choice for a first stay for a couple days would the the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac which is literally so central and commanding that it is basically the symbol of the city itself. Newly renovated. Sure you pay a little extra to stay there but I've always found the location, amenities, and sheer knowledge you're sleeping in a landmark to be worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I'm mainly a Marriott Bonvoy person when I can for the points and unfortunately Quebec City is a pretty uninspiring place for Marriott portfolio properties. The main Marriott is fine-- modern and located just outside the gates to the old town but it feels sort of off to the side and a tiny bit out of the way. 

My personal choice for a first stay for a couple days would the the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac which is literally so central and commanding that it is basically the symbol of the city itself. Newly renovated. Sure you pay a little extra to stay there but I've always found the location, amenities, and sheer knowledge you're sleeping in a landmark to be worth it. 

I pretty much agree with you.  When I'm in QC, I prefer to stay in one of the smaller hotels in the lower town....

https://www.hotellepriori.com/en/

Edited by d9704011
  • Thanks 2

I feel the core tourist area around Old Quebec is very walkable (with the odd hilly area) so anything in and on the western edges of it are reasonable locations to stay with consideration that most of Old Quebec is elevated on a plateau.

We've stayed at a few places in QC. 

Really enjoyed our stay at the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac.  Great hotel to explore.  Very central location.  Quick access to places to eat and to the Petit-Champlain area below.  

We also stayed at the Hotel Chateau Laurier outside of Old Quebec.  I thought was a reasonable walk into Old Quebec, easy access to the Plains of Abraham, and somewhat along the Grand Allee which is an interesting boulevard.  Can't speak to their quality but the Marriott (and Delta) are somewhat similarly on the edge of Old Quebec so a reletively easy walk into the heart of the area.  I stayed with friends at a vacation rental just inside the gate across from the Marriott and thought walking around Old Quebec from there as a launching point reasonable.  

21 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

I love Fairmont properties! Thank you. 

21 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

Thank you all so much.  I will look at each of these.  

we don’t need a rental car, do we?

If you're planning on staying in the city.... don't even contemplate renting a car.  Walking is best to see the sights, you can take the funicular if it's too tough to go between upper and lower town and there are HoHo tours available if that's the sort of thing you like.

• Thanks 2

We've stayed at Place de Armes in Quebec pre-cruise. Loved the location.

We're going on a Christmas Market tour and have the choice of the Clarendon or Palace Royal for this trip in December.

12 hours ago, Milhouse said:

We were in town for the Christmas Markets in Dec 2021 and love it.  Really festive with multiple event locations in the old town.  Really cold though, especially with the wind chill.

Thanks....Appreciate hearing that.