New Zealand Tours

Will be cruising New Zealand this November on Royal Princess.  Looking for any recommendation on private tour companies, other than Viatour.  Finding a company that has tours in the various cities would be easier to book with.  Thanks for any suggestions.  Looking forward to seeing your country.

I just look up the tours the ship has then contact operators directly.

Or google each port and see what's available.  

You can also book things on the day at some ports. 

Edited by sayaguru

Which cities? My standard response for Wellington: 

On a fine day grab an uber up to Zealandia (bird sancturary)  (beats  the crowds doing the cable car and free shuttle). On the way back take the shuttle to the top of the cable car - cool little museum there (free) and either walk down through the Botanic Gardens or take the cable car down.  

On a wet day start with Te Papa (national museum) walking distance from where the shuttle drops you and if the weather improves walk along the water front to oriental parade. 

None of those attractions need a tour. 

If you have specific things you want to do e.g. wineries from Picton - look up tripadvisor - find the thinks to do listing and then contact the top players directly . 

Don' use viator or tripadvisor to book - you pay quite a lot more because of their commission. 

Also Google maps is your friends if you find what you want ot see on there and check driving distances you may find hiring a car is a good option. 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, lissie said:

Which cities? My standard response for Wellington: 

On a fine day grab an uber up to Zealandia (bird sancturary)  (beats  the crowds doing the cable car and free shuttle). On the way back take the shuttle to the top of the cable car - cool little museum there (free) and either walk down through the Botanic Gardens or take the cable car down.  

On a wet day start with Te Papa (national museum) walking distance from where the shuttle drops you and if the weather improves walk along the water front to oriental parade. 

None of those attractions need a tour. 

If you have specific things you want to do e.g. wineries from Picton - look up tripadvisor - find the thinks to do listing and then contact the top players directly . 

Don' use viator or tripadvisor to book - you pay quite a lot more because of their commission. 

Also Google maps is your friends if you find what you want ot see on there and check driving distances you may find hiring a car is a good option. 

Is Oriental Parade a street address or an attraction 

56 minutes ago, sayaguru said:

I just look up the tours the ship has then contact operators directly.

Or google each port and see what's available.  

You can also book things on the day at some ports. 

Independent touring. Always take the piece of paper, with the local agents name and

contact details on it, with you.  When we came

back to the ship in Lisbon it had shifted along the wharf and all the gates we tried were locked.  Fortunately other passengers were trying to board also. One had Agent’s

details which was a Godsend!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lissie said:

Both - if you keep walking along the waterfront via the market and the marina and the cycle trishaw guys you'll come to it oriental parade - Google Search - think mini (very) Manly beach (minus the waves) 

Sounds like it would be popular locally. Main Beach GC is a little NZ so much so locals are bi lingual.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds like it would be popular locally. Main Beach GC is a little NZ so much so locals are bi lingual.

It was when I was a kid. It's a very safe family beach close to the city. And as teenagers it wasn't far to walk from where my local bus route ended (Courtenay Place).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was when I was a kid. It's a very safe family beach close to the city. And as teenagers it wasn't far to walk from where my local bus route ended (Courtenay Place).

What dates did Kiwis swim?  Queenslanders

dont swim in the colder months. We all got sunburnt on Hot Water Beach end of Nov.

38 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What dates did Kiwis swim?  Queenslanders

dont swim in the colder months. We all got sunburnt on Hot Water Beach end of Nov.

In summer only, usually during the Christmas holidays onwards. I doubt I would want to swim in Wellington even in the height of summer these days, I've acclimatised to Sydney sea temperatures. I have swum at Oakura in Northland a few times when visit my friend who has a bach there but even there the water seemed cold to me.

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

In summer only, usually during the Christmas holidays onwards. I doubt I would want to swim in Wellington even in the height of summer these days, I've acclimatised to Sydney sea temperatures. I have swum at Oakura in Northland a few times when visit my friend who has a bach there but even there the water seemed cold to me.

Was it the same for you when you were a child?  I love NZ Bachs. We stayed in one right on the beach in the North, with a solitary palm tree. I could live there,  

37 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Was it the same for you when you were a child?  I love NZ Bachs. We stayed in one right on the beach in the North, with a solitary palm tree. I could live there,  

Jeez Marion, that's too long ago to remember! 🤣

But kids never seem to feel the cold as much as adults do. I certainly don't recall the water feeling cold but, then again, I'd only even swum in NZ waters (even in Dunedin when I was very little) so the temps were normal to me then.

If you are interested in winery visits, I went on an excellent winery tour in the Marlborough area, starting from Picton.  The ship tours were not really geared to wine lovers, they went to one or two wineries and then went on to other things of general interest. This privately organised tour on a mini bus went to five different wineries, varying from small family ones to large ones. At each place we got red carpet treatment, private tasting areas etc.  The company is called Na Clachan Wine Tours, and the host Chris was a very knowledgable local. https://naclachanwinetours.co.nz/

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But kids never seem to feel the cold as much as adults do. I certainly don't recall the water feeling cold but, then again, I'd only even swum in NZ waters (even in Dunedin when I was very little) so the temps were normal to me then.

My earliest memory of swimming in big tires at Newry Islanf is two years old!  But Queenslanders love and live in the water!

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My earliest memory of swimming in big tires at Newry Islanf is two years old!  But Queenslanders love and live in the water!

I can remember swimming at a very young age but not how cold the water was. Actually I was a bit of a problem for my parents. Neither of them swam but I was a real water baby even before I could actually swim. I loved racing into the sea and jumping over the waves. Luckily I never got into trouble.

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I can remember swimming at a very young age but not how cold the water was. Actually I was a bit of a problem for my parents. Neither of them swam but I was a real water baby even before I could actually swim. I loved racing into the sea and jumping over the waves. Luckily I never got into trouble.

Obviously the coldest of the water didn’t bother you. I’m 

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I grew up swimming around the corner in Karaka Bay - never thought it was cold Got a holiday job when I was at uni in Sydney - never swam in Wellington (or NZ) again. Except a few years ago my honory aunt who was in her 80s at the time decided to take my brother who was visiting and I swimming for old times sakes - it was bloody freezing! 

1 minute ago, lissie said:

I grew up swimming around the corner in Karaka Bay - never thought it was cold Got a holiday job when I was at uni in Sydney - never swam in Wellington (or NZ) again. Except a few years ago my honory aunt who was in her 80s at the time decided to take my brother who was visiting and I swimming for old times sakes - it was bloody freezing! 

I also remember swimming at Scorching Bay and Worser Bay. And Paraparaumu and other beaches up that way. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, zukecruiser said:

Thanks for the information on ports.  Will be in NZ this November, wondering about weather, pack for warmer temperatures?

We got sunburnt in NZ in November at Hot Water Beach, staying too long on the beach.  If you are cruising you will need a wind break and some warmer clothes.  Take layers.

1 hour ago, zukecruiser said:

Thanks for the information on ports.  Will be in NZ this November, wondering about weather, pack for warmer temperatures?

November is still Spring. Although you might be treated to a warm, sunny spell, it's notoriously changeable and generally too cool for warmer temperatures packing. You'll definitely need to pack a range of clothes, including something warm 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zukecruiser said:

Pack as you would for Alaska about May.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Pack as you would for Alaska about May.

Wow, can't say I've been to Alaska, but surely not!! Layers is the best advice - you might need a tee shirt, or you might need a light polar fleece - definitely a showerproof jacket as well 😊