Cabin Pricing

Since booking our cruise back in November 2022, I've been able to get 5 price decreases.  However, with the exception of 2 successive decreases, the original price of the cabin has been different each time, with the latest reduction having the most expensive original cabin price.  The original price was $3684 in November.  When I got my last price reduction at the end of March, the price was $3499 (although the previous prices had been between the $3684 and the $3499). I just called today and got another price reduction, but the cabin price had jumped to $3999. After I called, I looked at prices online to get a general idea of cabin pricing and the price for a slightly higher category than ours was $200 less than what I got priced.  Do prices really fluctuate that much and is there a way to find out the price you're going to be charged before you call if your category is sold out?  Our cabin category is no longer available so I'm unable to check it online.  I also want to clarify that I'm not upset or complaining because I've still been able to get the reductions! I'm just curious how the prices can change that often and have such a swing. Is it just RCCL math?

and then on top of that, the price I see on the website is never the price they see when I call.....sometimes a $30 difference on the website is a $12 decrease on the phone, and sometimes a $30 price difference on the website is a $75 decrease on the phone.....

I started adding a column on my price tracker spreadsheet of my price vs price on website so I could tell if my price if I called was likely to go down 🙂 

10 hours ago, Jbluebird said:

Do prices really fluctuate that much and is there a way to find out the price you're going to be charged before you call if your category is sold out?

Cabin dynamic pricing has been an RCI staple for many years - you'll have to call to see if a price drop applies to a sold out category - some reported being able to get it.

Edited by Biker19

I've seen pricing on our next cruise change 3-4 times in a week.  I'm sure it changes more than that but I don't see them all. It's not some person manually keying in new prices - it's automatic, and it's based on lots of factors we will never know, like how full the ship is, what categories are fuller, how far away is the sailing date, etc etc.  

5 minutes ago, AZ Squirrel said:

What is the best/easiest way to check if your cruise price has dropped?

Just do a mock booking. If it's less than $25 I let it go and dont usually bother my ta. Depends. Also what you paid for fees and taxes is fixed. If they drop you have to add that back into the total as drops in fees and taxes dont get matched.

8 hours ago, Kathscof said:

and then on top of that, the price I see on the website is never the price they see when I call.....sometimes a $30 difference on the website is a $12 decrease on the phone, and sometimes a $30 price difference on the website is a $75 decrease on the phone.....

I started adding a column on my price tracker spreadsheet of my price vs price on website so I could tell if my price if I called was likely to go down 🙂 

I have had the same experience when calling in to book or inquire about a price change so you never know.  Also, always double-check your original invoice against the invoice you receive around final payment to make sure there haven't been any unauthorized changes.  Like the other posters have said, cruise pricing varies and is ever changing.

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We booked the Icon for March.  Booked immediately when booking opened.  Price has increased by over 20% for our suite-  

Same.- except ours has doubled in price (in May 2024).