Scandinavian Currency

Danamis

Hi there. I'm looking for advice from people who have done Scandinavian/Baltic cruises. We are joining Aurora in July for a Scandinavian cruise and will be visiting Sweden (3 ports) and Denmark. I see that both of these countries have their own version of Krona. My query is, would we actually need to get local currency or do they accept card payments in most places? I don't want to be left with lots of Krona as we may not do this itinerary again.

Thanks in advance.

Kate

Card all the way. My cousins live in Denmark and Norway and advised this from the first time I visited them almost 15 years ago. 

Denmark and Sweden are ‘cashless’ - use Credit Card - a chip card with pin is highly recommended - also contactless Credit Cards or ApplePay is widely accepted.

For taxi, and public transport App’s might be useful - will require a mobile phone data plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nini said:

How do you tip your tour guides? I would think that cash would be preferred, and the only way.

In Scandinavia, it is not a common practice to tip tour guides, and it is not expected.

Gratuity is already included in the tour price, and tour guides are paid a fair wage.

However, if you feel that your tour guide went above and beyond their duties and provided exceptional service, you may choose to tip them as a gesture of appreciation.
Ultimately, tipping is a personal choice, and it is up to you whether or not you want to tip your tour guide.Then it will of course be good with local currency, but I am sure that EUR or USD will be accepted.

Edited by hallasm

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

In Scandinavia, it is not a common practice to tip tour guides, and it is not expected.

Gratuity is already included in the tour price, and tour guides are paid a fair wage.

However, if you feel that your tour guide went above and beyond their duties and provided exceptional service, you may choose to tip them as a gesture of appreciation.
Ultimately, tipping is a personal choice, and it is up to you whether or not you want to tip your tour guide.Then it will of course be good with local currency, but I am sure that EUR or USD will be accepted.

Thanks for your response! Personally, I enjoy your comments because you are a "local".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hallasm said:

This is the perfect answer! You need to frame it!😁

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ExpatBride said:

I live in Denmark and I can't remember the last time I had cash in my possession.

Thx for this--I rather had the idea to stop at an ATM & pull out about $50/port in cash. 

It seems I could scramble to exchange that in the end if I did.

Perhaps I will just play it by ear.

• Like 1