Premier Photo package..quantity and image size?

gah_cruise

• gah_cruise changed the title to Premier Photo package..quantity and image size?

Curious about the answer myself, meaning under the new Premier offer. There are three prints given in the Premier package, but don't know the size of the print, or if you have a choice of which photo, would think you would. They're always taking photos at ports, dining, formal nights... Unlimited download.

As far as downloaded images, they are digital files. I would think you could have them printed in any size the photo printing business offered. Again, if I'm wrong on that, I'm posting to learn.

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

As far as downloaded images, they are digital files. I would think you could have them printed in any size the photo printing business offered. Again, if I'm wrong on that, I'm posting to learn.

Its the size (resolution) of the available images I am concerned about........ size matters 🙂 when editing and printing at home

What is the image format?  JPEG (JPG)?  TIFF (TIF)??

EDIT: Oh, for those of you who don't know how to properly pronounce GIF... This is from Steve Wilhite who is the developer of that particular image format.

=======================

It's pronounced JIF, not GIF.” Just like the peanut butter. “The Oxford English Dictionary accepts both pronunciations,” Wilhite told The New York Times. “They are wrong. It is a soft 'G,' pronounced 'jif.Feb 26, 2020

=======================

Here is an image from his acceptance speech for a lifetime achievement award at the Webby's in 2013.

The Actual Pronunciation of GIF, from the Creator - Daniel ...

=======================

I once had to correct an instructor in a University class who was pronouncing it incorrectly. Naturally, she didn't believe me until I pulled out part of the original documentation from CompuServe. I got "extra credit". 😁

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if the embarkation photo, the Hubbard Bay photo and Glacier Bay photo are included?  If I recall correctly on my last two trips when I did not have a package in 2013 & 2015 that these pictures were more expensive and I was wondering if they are included in the plus and premier packages.

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

What is the image format?  JPEG (JPG)?  TIFF (TIF)??

EDIT: Oh, for those of you who don't know how to properly pronounce GIF... This is from Steve Wilhite who is the developer of that particular image format.

=======================

It's pronounced JIF, not GIF.” Just like the peanut butter. “The Oxford English Dictionary accepts both pronunciations,” Wilhite told The New York Times. “They are wrong. It is a soft 'G,' pronounced 'jif.Feb 26, 2020

=======================

Here is an image from his acceptance speech for a lifetime achievement award at the Webby's in 2013.

The Actual Pronunciation of GIF, from the Creator - Daniel ...

=======================

I once had to correct an instructor in a University class who was pronouncing it incorrectly. Naturally, she didn't believe me until I pulled out part of the original documentation from CompuServe. I got "extra credit". 😁

Our downloaded images were JPGs.

And congratulations on the extra credit. 😂

Our printed images wer 5X7, 6X8, and 8X10 and images downloaded were jpg.  We each initially got one print of each size, but the app let us get an extra set and maybe even more if we had tried.

Image reolution on jpg was not great at 1600 x 2000. No usb stick was offered with the images, but we did not ask either.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CynCyn said:

We should bring our own USB THEN @Plato123?

You could but we just downloaded the images to our tablets (or phone) or whatever you use the Princess app on, and I transfered them to our PC at home.  The files are not big.

• Like 1

@gah_cruise I had the premier package in September 2022 on Royal. I asked for a flashdrive with the photos downloaded onto it. We tried to download the files (JPG) onto the tablet I had with me, but it was not possible. I checked with the tech people and it was confirmed; not able to download my photos.

Upon request, they gave me the flashdrive. I'm thinking of taking this flashdrive with me on my upcoming sailing, as I am getting the  premier package once again.

We had a chance to view all the photos that they took, maybe around 20 or so...The photographers obliged our requests whenever we asked for photos to be taken, e.g., with formal backgrounds, with glacier backgrounds - REAL ones outside, and on deck as we docked into Juneau. There didn't appear to be a limit to the number of photos that could be taken. Photographers were to be commended for their abilities to set the "poses" in the formal photos. I was very pleased with the results.

We were allowed to choose three hard copy photos. I chose one of Mendenhall Glacier that was displayed. 

Only one odd thing happened, that someone has already noted here. I saw the photos for our embarkation when I was previewing all the photos onboard. Yet, when I got home, I noticed that the photos from embarkation were not loaded onto my flash drive! I am going to watch for this photo this time, and request that I get this. Fingers crossed.

For those of you who are curious as to why anyone would get the premier package...it was a promo offered last fall, included in our fare. This time, with the changes of the wines that are offered in the PLUS, the premier makes more sense to suit my preferences. Also cruising with long-time friends, I am looking forward to getting good photos of this occasion. 

TMI - but I have tried to address some of the earlier comments and queries.

Edited by CruzeQueen2
adding info
  • Like 4

On 4/22/2023 at 1:41 AM, Kellyansapansa said:

Our downloaded images were JPGs.

And congratulations on the extra credit. 😂

Unfortunate they didn't have TIFF images for you. Much larger files but vastly better image quality.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

In the Premier Photo package, the average image size of the photos available for download varies depending on factors like camera resolution and image content. Typically, they range from around 2 to 10 megabytes per photo. As for quantity, it's hard to give an exact number since it can vary based on the length of your cruise and the events happening onboard. On average, passengers receive anywhere from 50 to 200 photos in the package.

Regarding jpg compress, it's worth noting that JPEG compression is commonly used to reduce file size without significantly affecting image quality. The photos in your package are likely optimized using JPEG compression to balance quality and download speed.

23 minutes ago, jatinpanda said:

Regarding jpg compress, it's worth noting that JPEG compression is commonly used to reduce file size without significantly affecting image quality.

jpg compression is lossy. That means that data *is* lost. If the image is saved with a higher quality (less compression) most people won't notice. But they can be compressed too much.

• Like 2

When getting the premiere package remember it is three prints per person with the package. You can use the app to look at your photos taken on your phone. On our next cruise we will be doing a back to back, so I will pick up my photo prints at the end of each segment. Also I have Princess put all my photos on a drive to take home in addition to downloading them onto my phone. Once at home I use an online photo service to make larger prints/canvas’ of my favorite pictures.

Posted (edited)

Shame they only give small JPEGs. I would never pay for them if that were the case. I will only be retrieving them because they are included with the premiere package. So we go on the last night and they give us a flash drive or do I have to bring one with me? I have no interest in downloading these photos to my phone. 

Edited by mrrom92

1 hour ago, mrrom92 said:

Shame they only give small JPEGs. I would never pay for them if that were the case. I will only be retrieving them because they are included with the premiere package. So we go on the last night and they give us a flash drive or do I have to bring one with me? I have no interest in downloading these photos to my phone. 

I don't they are small jpegs. Not if people can make large prints of them.

The only reason I am considering the Premier package is to get the photo package. Crazy I know but I am one of those people who is always taking the photos and not in them so I see it as a way to get proof I was there. 😉

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

I don't they are small jpegs. Not if people can make large prints of them.

The only reason I am considering the Premier package is to get the photo package. Crazy I know but I am one of those people who is always taking the photos and not in them so I see it as a way to get proof I was there. 😉

You “can” make a large print of anything, but “can” and “should” are two very different things. Different people can also have vastly different standards. Taste is subjective, but photos in the 1-2mb range are objectively small, particularly for something that is professionally taken and paid for. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just to make sure, does Princess provide a flash drive to download the photos on or should we bring our own drive?  Also, believe I read that each person gets 3 prints (not just pre cabin).  

Thanks for all responses.  Got the premier as Son's girlfriend has never been on a cruise and wanted to make sure she got the most out of it.

There were 3 of us, all with premier package. We each got 3 prints---selected from the ones that were displayed in the gallery. We all had access to them on our app and could download to our phones. Typically they don't provide flash drives, but there was an issue with downloading photos on my phone so they did give me a flash drive with the photos. 

Not sure if they could use one you bring because of security (putting a flash drive in one of their computers from the outside could be security risk since a flash drive could contain malware, virus, etc.). They're so tiny to pack that you could take one and ask. 

Guest Snaxmuppet

I sailed last year on Sky and they did provide a flash drive.

I have not read any of the other postings. The 8 of us had the Premier package, including all the pictures that we had TIME (speaking for myself) to take. I wish I could have taken more, but being off the ship 3 days to the different ports, there were a few pictures taken at that time, but not many. I am very HAPPY with all the pictures I did get. When choosing 3, if you have taken many pictures, they will either be in 8 x 10 and smaller size. Also they will have some black/white pictures as well. They will not have any duplicate of pictures in the different sizes. My son was able to ask that ALL of our pictures be down loaded on a stick for him. This way if I did not see all the pictures (which is true) that were taken by the photographers, then he would have my pictures, as well as the other pictures of the rest of our group.

Lots of info on here already!  But I did want to add a little something!

Sometimes, the facial recognition software doesn't work properly.  Look around at the displays in the photography department and if you see one there that isn't in your App, take it to one of the staff members at the desk and they will make sure it is added to your account.

Take all the photos, they are out and about all of the time and some of my favorite photos were actually the candid ones they take on sail away! 

I've never had the photos put on a flash drive as I've always downloaded them onto my phone, but I like knowing that I could have a 'backup' that way. 

We get the Premier Package primarily for the photos.  Such a fun time and there are some photo staff members that seem to have a great time with silly poses and goofy faces.  

Crookshanks, I agree with you about the photographers on the Regal ship. As you can guess, with a group of 8 (not all the time but quite a bit of the time), they would get used to us, when taking pictures. In fact, one of them we became friends on FB, and really surprised me when sending me a picture. I did have this picture, but it was in b/w, and to top that off, unfortunately my head was hiding my d-i-l who was behind me. 😞 I have no clue whether he knew the one I had was a small picture in b/w or not. But when he sent this one, it is in color, and to top that off, I am NOT hiding my d-i-l's. 🙂 Now why the b/w picture they would print with my d-i-l's face not showing, did not make sense, but maybe they didn't look at the picture that close to noticed when they printed it up. My one drawback on the picture package deal was they printed some in b/w, and also they made some of the pictures small. Now how they decided on "which" ones to make in b/w and small, makes me wonder.