NCL Sun power outage - 4/24

kchammett

Hello - we have family on the Sun's current Panama Canal cruise and have heard there was a several hours long power outage today. 

Apparently power has been restored, but no details on the cause or how long it will take before all facilities, venues, etc are back to 100%

Anyone have an additional info on the situation?  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kchammett said:

Hello - we have family on the Sun's current Panama Canal cruise and have heard there was a several hours long power outage today. 

Apparently power has been restored, but no details on the cause or how long it will take before all facilities, venues, etc are back to 100%

Anyone have an additional info on the situation?  

Also heard Bar Service was Limited during the Black Outs! Ouch!

Will the guests who brought the iron - hair dryer - curler - fan - portable generator -

on board and other non-permissible items STOP using them !

You are not helping !

Something about this being a well grounded issue.

NCL didn't bring a long enough extension cord. 

Hope this is fixed ASAP - Panama air conditioning - well there is none..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really loath them for skipping ports and not refunding the port taxes/fees. Are they doing that in this case?

P.S. I believe this is the same ship that hit the iceberg. I'm on this ship starting May 22 with port fees/taxes $400+.... so I will see what happens on my cruise.

Edited by mistertomatoe

29 minutes ago, mistertomatoe said:

I really loath them for skipping ports and not refunding the port taxes/fees. Are they doing that in this case?

P.S. I believe this is the same ship that hit the iceberg. I'm on this ship starting May 22 with port fees/taxes $400+.... so I will see what happens on my cruise.

As has been explained many times, the port fees you pay are estimated amounts, often calculated years before your cruise sails, and are pooled.  If they have an overage they will refund.  And in the event they underestimate, they eat the amount instead of adding it to your bill.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

As has been explained many times, the port fees you pay are estimated amounts, often calculated years before your cruise sails, and are pooled.  If they have an overage they will refund.  And in the event they underestimate, they eat the amount instead of adding it to your bill.

I meant when the port is cancelled. I have gotten refunds for overages before but I got nothing back when my ship skipped Bermuda in Jan. I believe the cruise with the power issue has already had one port cancelled before the cruise and maybe more due to the issues. The port fees and taxes for Alaskan cruises are on the high side so it's an even bigger issue on those itineraries.

Knowing NCL, by the time I get on the ship in 3 weeks, the ship will be impaired with limited services or changed or cancelled ports. I'm sure NCL will try to everything to not cancel the cruise but that means an experience significantly short of what we booked. I expect little or no communication on the matter from them before boarding.

57 minutes ago, mistertomatoe said:

I meant when the port is cancelled. I have gotten refunds for overages before but I got nothing back when my ship skipped Bermuda in Jan. I believe the cruise with the power issue has already had one port cancelled before the cruise and maybe more due to the issues. The port fees and taxes for Alaskan cruises are on the high side so it's an even bigger issue on those itineraries.

Knowing NCL, by the time I get on the ship in 3 weeks, the ship will be impaired with limited services or changed or cancelled ports. I'm sure NCL will try to everything to not cancel the cruise but that means an experience significantly short of what we booked. I expect little or no communication on the matter from them before boarding.

Thanks for the explanation- I was interested in the itinerary because I haven’t been to Sitka and I’d hate to have them skip it.

I live in Seattle so it’s an easy trip to port.

4 hours ago, mistertomatoe said:

I was speaking with respect to cancelled ports. 

I called to see if I can do anything about the significant price drops (as a solo) on the May 22 cruise. I pretty much gave up when the rep gave me the company line about it being after final payment. I know they can do more but it's not worth it to fight it with this rep.

For what it's worth, I did ask about the issues. She said the electrical issues were all fixed. We shall see.

2 minutes ago, mistertomatoe said:

I called to see if I can do anything about the significant price drops (as a solo) on the May 22 cruise. I pretty much gave up when the rep gave me the company line about it being after final payment. I know they can do more but it's not worth it to fight it with this rep.

For what it's worth, I did ask about the issues. She said the electrical issues were all fixed. We shall see.

i thought the official policy was not a one time FCC if the price drops after final payment. I'd call back!

Just to update everyone - and hopefully not jinx anything - according to our family and others on board the electrical issues have been fixed, venues and restaurants are back open, a/c is working and no obvious problems are seen or felt.  Fingers crossed that future cruisers don't experience any issues.  I know my in-laws are thoroughly enjoying themselves now that things are back on track.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redmomof4 said:

i thought the official policy was not a one time FCC if the price drops after final payment. I'd call back!

Under certain conditions, they may offer FCC as a COURTESY after final payment. And it is a one-time deal, the promos have to be the same.  For starters, your category has to still be available and usually you can't have taken the BOGO airline offer as it is no longer available closer to sailing.

• Like 1

On this cruise.  After the overnight stay in Cartagena, all seems to be fine.  Having a great time going through the Panama Canal today, 2 days later than planned.  We will miss Costa Rica as a result of the delay.  We did make an “extra” stop in Colon.

Crew has been awesome though out.

• Like 2