Is the food in the buffet the same as what is served in the dining rooms?

2 hours ago, nini said:

We often see the same food in the buffet that is on the dining room menu; not everything but many items.

I agree - in many cases the roast meat in the buffet is the same as offered in the MDR. And the next night the roast meat will be in the buffet as a casserole or some undefined curry.

Since the pandemic, the buffet in the evening is not as good as it was in the past.  We did a 15 day cruise to Hawaii over Christmas and New Years.  Eat at buffet for lunch and dinner because my dh has dementia.  We have enjoyed the buffet on cruises before the pandemic, like you say, if we go early since daylight can enjoy sea views.  On the December cruise, even on the holidays, selection in the buffet at night was very disappointing.  We were on the Royal Princess.   Staff in the buffet were very responsive to special requests.  My DH only eats fish and chips primarily, one night fish out was very dry looking and I knew would be too hard for him to eat.  Asked the staff at the buffet if they would prefer some fresh ones and gladly did.   If my dh did not have dementia I would try buffet and Crown Grill, MDR is not what it use to be either, that is another reason we stopped doing the MDR in the first place.   Happy cruising. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I agree - in many cases the roast meat in the buffet is the same as offered in the MDR. And the next night the roast meat will be in the buffet as a casserole or some undefined curry.

I've noticed that the cut of beef used in the beef stir fry at lunch varies daily, probably depending on what was on last night's MDR or buffet menu.

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Could be but I got the freshly sliced roast beef by a staff member and was warm and very good.  

Edited by caribsun
spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, caribsun said:

Could be but I got the freshly sliced roast beef by a staff member and was warm and very good.  

At times it can be great.

Once I asked to a larger piece of prime rib and what was give to me was terrible. 

I learned to get a regular size slice & reorder another if the first piece is good. 

16 hours ago, pris993 said:

Since the pandemic, the buffet in the evening is not as good as it was in the past.  We did a 15 day cruise to Hawaii over Christmas and New Years.  Eat at buffet for lunch and dinner because my dh has dementia.  We have enjoyed the buffet on cruises before the pandemic, like you say, if we go early since daylight can enjoy sea views.  On the December cruise, even on the holidays, selection in the buffet at night was very disappointing.  We were on the Royal Princess.   Staff in the buffet were very responsive to special requests.  My DH only eats fish and chips primarily, one night fish out was very dry looking and I knew would be too hard for him to eat.  Asked the staff at the buffet if they would prefer some fresh ones and gladly did.   If my dh did not have dementia I would try buffet and Crown Grill, MDR is not what it use to be either, that is another reason we stopped doing the MDR in the first place.   Happy cruising. 

I have never seen any kind of buffet in the  world that entertains special requests 

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have never seen any kind of buffet in the  world that entertains special requests 

Think you have never asked.  Princess staff have responded to special requests I have made a number of times.  For example, I have asked for simply things like chopped raw onions, walnuts, fresh watermelon when they were not on the buffet.  What I have found is if they can get it they will.  As I stated on my recent Royal cruise at Christmas time, I asked for another older of fresh fish and chips and the staff responded they would do if I waited 15 minutes.  When we were on a Coral cruise in 2019, we wanted fish and chips the last night in the buffet asked the head chef the night before and he did for us.  Another time I remember at lunch time on the Grand, I wanted tuna fish sandwiches for my husband.  Asked the head chef and me made for me.  I guess you have never asked.  These are not unusual requests but they were things we wanted and asked.   It pays to ask for what you want. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

Think you have never asked.  Princess staff have responded to special requests I have made a number of times.  For example, I have asked for simply things like chopped raw onions, walnuts, fresh watermelon when they were not on the buffet.  What I have found is if they can get it they will.  As I stated on my recent Royal cruise at Christmas time, I asked for another older of fresh fish and chips and the staff responded they would do if I waited 15 minutes.  When we were on a Coral cruise in 2019, we wanted fish and chips the last night in the buffet asked the head chef the night before and he did for us.  Another time I remember at lunch time on the Grand, I wanted tuna fish sandwiches for my husband.  Asked the head chef and me made for me.  I guess you have never asked.  These are not unusual requests but they were things we wanted and asked.   It pays to ask for what you want. 

No I would want to request steaks cooked to order, escargot, lobster etc These are the kind of foods I can get in the MDR I do not cruise to eat foods I can get in a fast food restaurant on land

38 minutes ago, memoak said:

No I would want to request steaks cooked to order, escargot, lobster etc These are the kind of foods I can get in the MDR I do not cruise to eat foods I can get in a fast food restaurant on land

Our requests are simple no doubt, but they made us happy at the time.  If I want steak, escargot I go to the Crown Grill, we were talking about the buffet.   Before my dh developed dementia, we eat at the Crown Grill most nights and we could make special requests there too.  For many years in the MDR we actually ordered off menu.  Ships offer many options.  My point is the staff are wonderful, they will try to please guests if at all possible.  No harm in asking for what you like.  Glad you are satisfied with the MDR.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, memoak said:

If you want steak and escargot and lobster every night, you'll need to eat in the speciality restaurants.  The MDR will have escargot and lobster maybe once on a cruise.  Have you tried ordering escargot in the MDR on a night it wasn't on the menu?

37 minutes ago, Kay S said:

If you want steak and escargot and lobster every night, you'll need to eat in the speciality restaurants.  The MDR will have escargot and lobster maybe once on a cruise.  Have you tried ordering escargot in the MDR on a night it wasn't on the menu?

I have asked for it one day in advance and yes I did receive it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kay S said:

The Crown Grill portions are we y too big for us. We prefer the smaller plates in MDR

• Like 1

We hardly ever even go to the buffet unless it is to just grab something at lunch to take outside. In my opinion the buffet is the biggest breeding ground on ship for Noro and Covid. People refusing to wash hands or use sanitizer. For breakfast it is either the MDR or IC. For lunch pizzeria on ships that have them or outside venues, IC or MDR on sea days

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

We hardly ever even go to the buffet unless it is to just grab something at lunch to take outside. In my opinion the buffet is the biggest breeding ground on ship for Noro and Covid. People refusing to wash hands or use sanitizer. For breakfast it is either the MDR or IC. For lunch pizzeria on ships that have them or outside venues, IC or MDR on sea days

We stopped going to the MDR when the Ruby Princess was a new ship, which is some time ago.  Have not had any problems with Noro or Covid because we wash our own hands constantly and we avoid public restrooms.  Either we are very lucky, or may be it is a myth that the buffet is a big risk for noro and covid.   Maybe our own simple hygiene practices have kept us healthy.  We do room service for breakfast but do eat at the buffet for lunch and dinner.   Obviously we all want to stay healthy.  

• Like 1

We also frequent the buffet and have never gotten sick. I take individually wrapped wet wipes that we use after we get our food. I also never get foods that you eat with your hands -- silverware only. Maybe I'm crazy, but never been sick either 😁

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Its good to have options. Those who do not want to eat at the buffet have other choices, and its still available to those of us who choose to eat there. I also feel its not quite as good as it was pre-Covid but TBH I am not sure the MDR is either.  And Alfredos/Gigis and IC are great alternatives. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We also frequent the buffet and have never gotten sick. I take individually wrapped wet wipes that we use after we get our food. I also never get foods that you eat with your hands -- silverware only. Maybe I'm crazy, but never been sick either 😁

So no burgers, pizza, sandwiches, deep fried shrimp ?

9 minutes ago, memoak said:

So no burgers, pizza, sandwiches, deep fried shrimp ?

Sure....with a fork! BTW I eat pizza with a fork at home too. 

While we're talking about public hygiene -- we recently cruised on NCL and attended muster in the MDR. The tables were all set with glasses and silverware. We watched so many people handle the tableware during muster-- ugh! Then people came in and ate the evening meal an hour later. No thanks!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Even if the food is the same, the food in the MDR is cooked to order and is fresh.  The buffet food has been on the steam table for nobody knows how long.

DON

This is very true.

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Even if the food is the same, the food in the MDR is cooked to order and is fresh.  The buffet food has been on the steam table for nobody knows how long.

DON

Food to feed that many people in one service is most certainly not cooked to order.  Preparation begins much earlier in the day considering the amount of food they need to feed most of the ship for MDR dinner.  If anything it's plated to order.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Actually the servery staff keep track of how long the food is sitting there. They know!. After a certain amount of time it is disposed of. It is also disposed of if they spot someone putting a dirty utensil in the chafing tray or a finger in one.

• Like 1