Sailing out of Venice/Trieste

room with a view

Later this year we we will be on the Epic out of Venice/Trieste . We would like to have 2 nights in Venice train up to Trieste then 2 nights in Trieste.

Anyone who has ben on these sailings we would appreciate your advice on hotels. 

We will not want to drag suitcases over bridges and will be flying into Marco Polo airport.

Thanks

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

In Trieste - the Savoia Excelsior - right across from the pier, and close to the train station.

Agreed. We had a great stay there (land based trip, not a cruise). They upgraded our reserved room to one with a balcony on the top floor overlooking the water.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, room with a view said:

We will not want to drag suitcases over bridges and will be flying into Marco Polo airport.

If you want to stay in Venice proper, and not deal with hauling luggage, you'll need to find a hotel with water taxi access (which isn't hard) which will allow you and your bags to be deposited right at the hotel entrance.

What's your budget? It will run the gamut from a couple hundred a night for a budget option to several thousands a night for a 5 star. Venice is not inexpensive. 

The ride from Marco Polo to the city in a water taxi is a lot of fun. 

We are staying at the NH Collection Venezia Murano Villa in Venice.  I chose it because it is on the Alilaguna waterbus route from the airport and this is the first stop.  We have been to Venice before and are very comfortable taking the vaporetto over the main islands.  We also prefer the quieter side canals and outer islands this time since we have already seen all the crowded sites.  (Hoping to see Torcello this time) The bonus is dining on Murano at night after all the day trippers have left.

As far as Trieste, there are so many hotels.  You should be able to find something for all budgets and amenities.  I would recommend the DoubleTree or the Savoia if you want something big and traditional.  If you are fine being a little out of town, the Miramare is fabulous and you can swim in the sea from their little platform.

11 hours ago, room with a view said:

Thanks

If you have too much luggage to easily handle, you could stay in the Piazzale Roma area of Venice.  This is the last point of land travel in Venice so it's where taxis, buses, cars drop off their pax for a day of sightseeing.  It's also less than 2 blocks from a vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal .  There are are 3-4 hotels right on the square or if you can manage a small bridge there are several more options.  The ATVO express goes from the airport to P Roma for 10E pp, a 20 minute ride, or a cab is 45e. . The SLucia train station is directly across the canal from PRoma but requires one very large bridge to cross.  There are a lot of stairs but they're shallow so not too bad for dragging luggage along.

'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Piazzale Roma | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

Mestre is also a convenient option for you, esp for catching the train to Trieste. There are a few large hotels right across the street from the Mestre station; Best Western, Plaza and Tritone.  It will mean a 20 minute commute to Venice for your sightseeing, but you can get there by train or bus for less than 2E.  And there is an ATVO express bus that runs nonstop from the airport to Mestre station, 20 minutes, 10Epp.  Or cab also 20 minutes, 40e.

Hotels near Venezia Mestre Railroad Station | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1

Loved the Hotel Canal Grand this month in Venice.  Room overlooked canal, nice amenities, helpful and friendly staff, and great breakfast.  Took water taxi with luggage from airport right to dock at hotel.  Near train station and Piazzale Roma.  Paid a porter to take our luggage and we walked with him when we went for transportation to Trieste.   Very reasonable and easy.  

• 2 weeks later...

We were just there last month

In Trieste we stayed at doubletree great location to walk everywhere and short taxi to cruise terminal we did not want to drag our bags you could walk to it though very close to city center.

make sure u go to Miramare Castle in Trieste its beautiful.

12 minutes ago, mommyx2 said:

We were just there last month

In Trieste we stayed at doubletree great location to walk everywhere and short taxi to cruise terminal we did not want to drag our bags you could walk to it though very close to city center.

make sure u go to Miramare Castle in Trieste its beautiful.

Thanks , it's a Christmas/New Year cruise  starting in Trieste and ending in Lisbon.

• Like 1

Our’s was same started in Trieste and ended in Lisbon.

it was 15 day on Star last month and it was fabulous - everyday was wonderful and loved the Star it was quiet and very clean

you will have a wonderful trip as well!

12 hours ago, mommyx2 said:

Our’s was same started in Trieste and ended in Lisbon.

it was 15 day on Star last month and it was fabulous - everyday was wonderful and loved the Star it was quiet and very clean

you will have a wonderful trip as well!

We are on the Epic ....would have much preferred the Star .

7 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I have just come off the Gem.  I much preferred it to Epic which i never found my way around even after about 5 cruise.  

Funny, I felt the opposite.... loved the Epic, the Gem was just ok.

Maybe I prefer larger ships

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburngirl said:

We are staying in Venice 2 days pre-cruise.  What is the best transportation from Venice to Trieste?

Same for a cruise for us in 2024.

considering train at the moment around two hours duration.

interested in your plans to transfer though too please 

1 hour ago, auburngirl said:

We are staying in Venice 2 days pre-cruise.  What is the best transportation from Venice to Trieste?

By best do you mean most convenient ? If so that's probably the cruiseline transfer since it will take you right to the ship. Around $60pp.  Some cruiselines only pick up pax at the airport, others will also pick up in Venice, at Tronchetto parking lot. 

PreCruise I took the train TO Trieste.  2 hrs, 18E pp

Post cruise I used FlixBus from Trieste to VCE.   2 hrs, 20E pp.

The train station and bus depot in Trieste are within a block of each other, but are about a 15-20 minute walk from the cruise pier. Or you can take a cab.