MSC Seascape reviews on Cruisecritic are harsh...

We are on MSC seascape in june and I just read through some of the recent reviews on CC.  Yikes, 2.5 rating from CC users.  Some of the users seem to be newbies, but still, some of the things they say about the service, staff attitude, and being understaffed is concerning.  Has anyone been on Seascape lately and if so, did you experience the same issues?

A group of my friends went on the Seascape in March.  Some of them were first time cruisers, some had done cruises before. 
All of them had nothing but positive things to say about it.  

• Like 2

Just got off.  have friends booked on two up coming cruises,  our advice to them was cancel and go elsewhere.  Take a peek at the on board now for 4/27 for more details.

Stylist just sailed them w/ her DH.

Seasoned cruisers, mostly Carnival.

They weren't impressed with anything except the PI.

The spoke of the many rude passengers as I encountered on Divina in Feb.

Somebody who has a negative experience will probably post it.  Somebody who, like us, has a wonderful experience, will probably not bother to post anything, just come home and bask in the glow.

I seems that the elements that are "different" on MSC are what lead some to see negatives.  Service is more European/formal, less friendly/gushy.  Some see that as cold and uncaring.  Some complain about things like lack of butter.  Butter with bread is not a European thing. We did not experience any rude passengers, but maybe not always getting a response to "Hey, how are ya?" is somebody's idea of rude.

It is those differences that we enjoy; the feeling of being away rather than somewhere close to home with hundreds of our neighbors (as we feel on RC).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Somebody who has a negative experience will probably post it.  Somebody who, like us, has a wonderful experience, will probably not bother to post anything, just come home and bask in the glow.

I seems that the elements that are "different" on MSC are what lead some to see negatives.  Service is more European/formal, less friendly/gushy.  Some see that as cold and uncaring.  Some complain about things like lack of butter.  Butter with bread is not a European thing. We did not experience any rude passengers, but maybe not always getting a response to "Hey, how are ya?" is somebody's idea of rude.

It is those differences that we enjoy; the feeling of being away rather than somewhere close to home with hundreds of our neighbors (as we feel on RC).

^^^ this 100%

• Like 2

MSC has had bad reviews for as long as I have known about them (since 2016).   

They are cheap (relative to the competition) and you can have a great value for money vacation, with lots of fun and laughs.   But, objectively (e.g. crew to passenger ratio, food quality, bar waiting times etc) if you pay more money you could have a better vacation with the competition.

Personally I have more time than money, so prefer to take more vacation at a lower price point than less vacation at a higher price point.  My husband sometimes (~10% of the time) loves to complain about things, so it is a win-win.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

^^^ this 100%

Absolutely correct. The Seascape has been sailing for about 6 month (24ish weeks) X 5,000 passengers = 120,000 passengers give or take. The last time I looked, there were only 54 reviews.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I agree but I also post my positive experiences on another line but those posts slide quickly down the board.  Controversial or negative posts definitely get more attention as well. 

On 5/1/2023 at 10:48 AM, KKB said:

Stylist just sailed them w/ her DH.

Seasoned cruisers, mostly Carnival.

They weren't impressed with anything except the PI.

The spoke of the many rude passengers as I encountered on Divina in Feb.

What is PI?

I hardly think MSC can be faulted for having rude passengers. Rude passengers exist everywhere.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

What is PI?

I hardly think MSC can be faulted for having rude passengers. Rude passengers exist everywhere.

Private island

Oh rude passengers everywhere—it was the sheer numbers that floored me. On both sailings (5+7 B2B)

On 5/1/2023 at 12:30 PM, shipgeeks said:

I have a friend who is going for the first time.. I'm hoping you can help answer some questions?   If they wanted Butter for their bread, can they get it?  will the server bring it?   For the stateroom, is it tended to twice a day?  or once?  and will my friend have option of morning or turndown service?   What is the plastic card called that you use to unlock your stateroom door with?   Can my friend use cash to put on their card on day 1?   Is MSC a Pepsi, or Coke ship?   What is the buffet area called?   They paid in full, logged onto the MSC website, and can't find edocs anywhere?  like, their proof of booking etc?  Does the port give you your plastic stateroom card? or is it in an envelope when you get to your stateroom on day 1?   

29 minutes ago, mosiegirl said:

I have a friend who is going for the first time.. I'm hoping you can help answer some questions? 

If they wanted Butter for their bread, can they get it?  will the server bring it?   Of course they have butter; just ask if it's not brought with the bread. In the buffet I found it next to the salad bar rather than next to the bread.

For the stateroom, is it tended to twice a day?  or once?  and will my friend have option of morning or turndown service?   On my cruise 3 weeks ago it was still 2X per day. I think that's overkill so I told our steward "morning only". If they do switch to once per day, you will be able to select morning or evening.

What is the plastic card called that you use to unlock your stateroom door with?  Keycard? It's also used for all purchases on board. It's given to you in the cruise terminal when you check-in for the cruise.

Can my friend use cash to put on their card on day 1?  Yes. Go to one of the kiosks or to Reception. You're really not putting cash "on the card", you're putting it onto your onboard account.

Is MSC a Pepsi, or Coke ship?   Coke products.

What is the buffet area called?   It has different names on different ships. Just call it the buffet.

They paid in full, logged onto the MSC website, and can't find edocs anywhere?  like, their proof of booking etc?  Edocs become available within 21 days of sailing but they still should be able to find their booking. Have them call MSC and select the internet issues choice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mosiegirl said:

They paid in full, logged onto the MSC website, and can't find edocs anywhere?  like, their proof of booking etc?  

It's possible that MSC changed their sailing without telling them or even cancelled all together.

I have had that happen more than once.

I just got off a 18 night sailing 3 days ago. They cancelled me, put me on a different sailing,added 3 extra days, then they turned around and added another day with no notice.

Good thing I had a TA.

If they call, they may get charged more for it, if their booking is still good.

4 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

It's possible that MSC changed their sailing without telling them or even cancelled all together.

I have had that happen more than once.

I just got off a 18 night sailing 3 days ago. They cancelled me, put me on a different sailing,added 3 extra days, then they turned around and added another day with no notice.

Good thing I had a TA.

If they call, they may get charged more for it, if their booking is still good.

There's more to this story, I think. I can't believe a cruise line would cancel you, put you on a different sailing and add 3 extra days, all with no explanation. Care to share?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

There's more to this story, I think. I can't believe a cruise line would cancel you, put you on a different sailing and add 3 extra days, all with no explanation. Care to share?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

In my experience it is relatively common when booking repositioning cruises a long time in advance (e.g. +9 months).  I've had NCL change the dates of a transatlantic and MSC add an extra dayto a repositioning cruise from Brazil to Europe.  

mosiegirl, Please don't be unduly alarmed by the post after yours, warning of all the things that could go wrong.  That poster seems to be a magnet for mishaps, perhaps sparing most of the rest of us any negative experiences.

When is your friend's cruise, and on what ship?

If you, or friend, have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!