Shareholder Benefits - Exceptions?

Jan.and.John

I was surprised to learn from Oceania recently that my Shareholder Benefit (normally $100 OBC for a cruise of the length we're embarking on next week - our 10th) was not available to me because I'd received a "special price."  I was not aware that I'd gotten such a great deal.

Anyone else run into this?  I was not particularly happy, especially when I saw the amount of FDR's annual compensation ($21.2M) during the latest NCLH earnings report.  Not that I begrudge him any, except maybe my paltry $100 - would not have wanted to be in his shoes in 2020-21.

Thanks and happy travels!

Jan and John

Is there anything I can do?

• Haha 1

I guess they can say everything is a special price. The invoices have all kinds of deductions before arrival at an actual price.

Have someone explain to you how it is a special price, don't just take their word for it.

• Like 1

Ask your TA (or O rep) for the "combinability" rules for your fare. They have them in written form and can send them (mine does).

For example (your sale will have different rules), the current Extraordinary Sale is combinable with only a couple of things...O-Club Loyalty benefits and 2-for-1 deposits (whatever that is). O-Life Choice (not Ultimate) and O-air can be added just like drink packages and shorex packages. Nothing else is combinable...shareholder SBC, OCAPP ppg, and onboard savings are some of the things listed.

1 hour ago, Jan.and.John said:

I was surprised to learn from Oceania recently that my Shareholder Benefit (normally $100 OBC for a cruise of the length we're embarking on next week - our 10th) was not available to me because I'd received a "special price."  I was not aware that I'd gotten such a great deal.

Anyone else run into this?  I was not particularly happy, especially when I saw the amount of FDR's annual compensation ($21.2M) during the latest NCLH earnings report.  Not that I begrudge him any, except maybe my paltry $100 - would not have wanted to be in his shoes in 2020-21.

Jan and John

Yes, I have had this happen to me on several occasions.  I often book a cruise when it first becomes available.  Then, as better pricing sometimes appears through sales, I lose my NCLH shareholder credit, prepaid gratuities, etc.  But I always do the math, so whatever action I eventually take, it is to my advantage.  Good Luck in your efforts.

• Like 1

A bit funny how people expect to be able to stack various sales on top of each other as well as these sorts of special items. [It doesn't help that we all know "free" doesn't mean "free" at all when O applies it, for all you have to do is look at the cruise-only fare to see how much you're paying for that "free" item.]

Usually the lesson is: Do the MATH for each new sale and don't expect to be able to stack on top of it, especially if it is truly saving $ (as cabin-upgrade sales like the Extraordinary Savings Sale do).

When I rebooked our 'O' canceled March '20 cruise (covid obviously) apparently it was during the time of a Labor Day sale (if I remember right).  I wasn't aware as I was just working with my TA (who didn't know I would file a shareholder benefit request) and she booked us at the current price.  I had a large credit from the canceled cruise so I wasn't looking too closely at the price.  When we started the cruise the $250 didn't show up and it wasn't until I received a couple of hard to understand voicemails that it started to become clear.  THEN I read the shareholder benefit fine print. 😉

Edited by EasyGoingGuy
spelling

On 5/1/2023 at 5:11 PM, Jan.and.John said:

Jan and John

Sadly we have had that experience on every single attempt, and trust me some of those bookings certainly weren’t a “special price.”  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bradpole said:

Sadly we have had that experience on every single attempt, and trust me some of those bookings certainly weren’t a “special price.”  

In our 15 O cruises, we have received our shareholder credit on all but 3 of them - those were involving sales where it specifically said not combinable with NCL shareholder.  I can only comment on our experience but want people to know that they do give the shareholder credit.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I wonder if the lowered value of NCLH shares may have them “tightening up” the applicability of the benefit?🤔

We just had it applied to our 2 upcoming VISTA cruises this Fall....they have had several special sales that do state in the terms and conditions that they are not combinable with NCL shareholder and AMEX OBC.  

Two weeks ago we got off The Riviera. About a month earlier I had applied for, and received, my shareholder credit. I had booked our cruise about 16 months prior and thought it was a good price. Not sure if it was "special"...... but I had no trouble receiving shareholder credit.