For all formal night aficionados

Well it depends on the description of "formal".  If it means long pants and t shirts for men, there are lines/restaurants that have that code now.

One example - NCL has one of three dining rooms on one of their ships that do not allow shorts for men.  All three dining rooms serve the same menu.  Yet you still men demanding to be allowed in the "formal" dining room in shorts.  They don't care that two minutes away there is another dining room with the same menu, they are entitled to dine anywhere.

So my guess is that maybe they are trying to have one dining area with a dress code of some sort??

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Well it depends on the description of "formal".  If it means long pants and t shirts for men, there are lines/restaurants that have that code now.

One example - NCL has one of three dining rooms on one of their ships that do not allow shorts for men.  All three dining rooms serve the same menu.  Yet you still men demanding to be allowed in the "formal" dining room in shorts.  They don't care that two minutes away there is another dining room with the same menu, they are entitled to dine anywhere.

So my guess is that maybe they are trying to have one dining area with a dress code of some sort??

They are demanding, but rule is enforced.

My husband does not wear shorts to any restaurants for dinner with any line, but one time we were late for dinner on NCL Dawn(?) and we tried to enter aft restaurant which does not allow shirts. We were stopped.

6 minutes ago, Tatka said:

They are demanding, but rule is enforced.

My husband does not wear shorts to any restaurants for dinner with any line, but one time we were late for dinner on NCL Dawn(?) and we tried to enter aft restaurant which does not allow shirts. We were stopped.

I've cruised since the days of tux rentals delivered to the stateroom for formal nights.  But anymore I don't even take a pair of long pants on the cruise.  If any of the restaurants prohibit shorts I certainly respect their rules.  However, unless they there is a specific rule in place against shorts, that's what I wear.  

4 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

I've cruised since the days of tux rentals delivered to the stateroom for formal nights.  But anymore I don't even take a pair of long pants on the cruise.  If any of the restaurants prohibit shorts I certainly respect their rules.  However, unless they there is a specific rule in place against shorts, that's what I wear.  

It is certainly your choice. What I am saying "demands" of not wishing to wear pants in certain restaurants which require them do not matter. NCL enforces this rule.  

5 hours ago, TeRriii said:

Not half, maybe 15% is more sensible.

I should have beenore clear. He said half of one floor.  He went into quite a bit of detail on how the entrances would be separated and gow the seating would be.

10 hours ago, JupiterTwo said:

Wasn't dressing formal every night something that was done when people brought steamer trunks of clothing with them on cruise ships?

Yes it was. When I was 11, 15 & 18  my Maternal Grandparents took Transatlantic cruises back to Italy. All 3 crossings were on an Italian (can't remember name) cruise line. I helped my Grandmother pack the dresses (can't recall the #) for the evenings. My Grandfather had his tux. I must admit I very much miss the formal nights of cruising. It made the experience very special and brought back memories of my Grandparents. 

Speaking of my Grandparents, it just reminded me of their wanting to take me on two of their 3 TA crossings and I thought I'd add a little levity to my post. Plus it's the time of day when I usually don't have much to do.. 

First when I was 11....didn't want to leave my Parents.  Second when I was 15......didn't want to leave my boyfriend. Third time I was 18. No boyfriend at the time and thought it would be great to spend my summer in Italy (and maybe finally be forced to learn how to speak Italian) before starting college. This time my Grandmother said no and I couldn't figure out why until my husband and I took our first cruise to Bermuda. Can't rememeber the name of the line but the Italian crew was mostly all male and blatently made passes at every single female passenger.  I should also add......the food was FANTASTIC!!!!

P.S. I'm now 75 and still can't speak Italian!!🤩

Edited by Loracpin2
spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Passengers seved is not a factor in the bonus equation!

It is more like position, years of service, job evaluation.....lots of soft parameters...etc

No.  Just no.

The issue here is the distribution of the daily gratuities paid by every passenger.  It's not a "bonus".  

11 hours ago, topnole said:

Cruise ships didn’t exist back then.  Lol.   They were ocean liners.  And men probably wore long sleeve pajamas and a sleeping cap.  Men also wore three piece suits to play golf.  I’m also pretty certain that bath/showers were not a daily event for most.  Oh the good old days.  

My father was on an ocean liner in 1913 that sailed from Liverpool to NYC.

There were no such thing as the bathing suits that men currently wear.They covered the body from close to the head to close to the feet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Personally, I don't believe that what he said will come to fruition.   But what the maitre d' was describing is not what several of you assumed.  It's not that people would be assigned to the "formal every night" dining room. It's that every night, anyone who wants to dress formally would be seated in that section THAT NIGHT with other people who wanted to dress formally THAT NIGHT.  Then no other dining area would have formally dressed people, just that one section.  You could ask to be seated there once, twice, three (etc) times during your cruise, or zero times.  

But I don't think it will happen.

Yeah, I can understand that they could do that (like MTD), but it would add yet another factor to table assignments, slowing it further.  Like you, I just do not think it will happen.  And, in the unlikely event they do try it, I don’t think it will last long.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

No.  Just no.

The issue here is the distribution of the daily gratuities paid by every passenger.  It's not a "bonus".  

Well Royal treats it as a bonus and the way they distribute it - is like a bonus - only if certain criteria are in line the employee will get something extra on top of the guaranteed salary that is in his contract. 

Any sort of orchestrated formal MTD area to me would imply Icon will not home port in the States which obviously it is.

Its been a long time since I have cruised from Miami but if its anything like sailing from the Florida ports the Maitre d' and his waiters would be sat in the formal side of the restaurant on their own.

6 hours ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Well Royal treats it as a bonus and the way they distribute it - is like a bonus - only if certain criteria are in line the employee will get something extra on top of the guaranteed salary that is in his contract. 

nope. Nopity nope nope. 

• Haha 1