Explain it to me like I'm a 6-year-old: Why doesn't X go to PD@CC?

Honolulu Blue

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They have not done it so management must not think it is better or logical.  

I have done Perfect Day. One Oasis Class ship that day.  If there were two ships and one was Oasis class I would probably stay on the ship.  If I were on a Celebrity sailing and there was any RCI ship there too I would definitely stay on the ship. I don’t think it would be a perfect day. 

What I highlighted is what OP originally asked; it appears no one knows for sure.  Totally understand your opinion that you wouldn't want to be there with a RCI ship.  I personally have mixed feelings about going there on an X cruise yet I'd prefer Coco Cay over certain ports like, off the top of my head, Nassau, Costa Maya or any Jamaican port

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

What I highlighted is what OP originally asked; it appears no one knows for sure.  Totally understand your opinion that you wouldn't want to be there with a RCI ship.  I personally have mixed feelings about going there on an X cruise yet I'd prefer Coco Cay over certain ports like, off the top of my head, Nassau, Costa Maya or any Jamaican port

They have chosen their deployments for business reasons. That should be obvious. There is no reason other than business reasons that Coco Cay has been exclusively on RCI itineraries. Technically they could deploy Celebrity ships to Coco Cay. Certainly from time to time they review and adjust deployments. So possibly someday an X ship or ships could go to Coco Cay.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They have chosen their deployments for business reasons. That should be obvious. There is no reason other than business reasons that Coco Cay has been exclusively on RCI itineraries. Technically they could deploy Celebrity ships to Coco Cay. Certainly from time to time they review and adjust deployments. So possibly someday an X ship or ships could go to Coco Cay.  

Sure, but we’re still assuming…Looking for actual closure which we don’t have some was hoping someone on here had the scoop.  If anyone cares enough they can email the exec offices 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Sure, but we’re still assuming…Looking for actual closure which we don’t have some was hoping someone on here had the scoop.  If anyone cares enough they can email the exec offices 

Why would anyone need closure? We already know the actual scoop. X does not currently go to Coco Cay. They never have. It is not like it was something they used to do and changed. They could but they don't. Yes, you can email the exec offices. If people want X to go to Coco Cay they can suggest it. If you don't like the Celebrity Caribbean itineraries don't book them. If you desperately want Coco Cay, book a RCI cruise. 

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

X does not currently go to Coco Cay. They never have. It is not like it was something they used to do and changed. 

@Cruise Gopher posted earlier in this thread that they HAD gone to Coco Cay on a Celebrity ship before its transformation.  I'm inclined to believe them, though it's really their story to tell:

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 5:36 PM, Obobru said:

I don't think Coco cay is aimed at the Celebrity cruiser it's more mass market. If celebrity had a private island I would expect some thing more tranquil and not a huge pool or a water park and zip slide. Everything on Coco reflects the Royal ships, loud and in your face.  

I've got news for you, Celebrity is a mass market cruise line, just with a different target demographic than Royal.  And what you call "loud and in your face", I believe the RCI marketing team calls the "Wow" factor.

I've been to Coco Cay (and Labadee) and will say that you can still find a quiet(er) space to lie by the beach and chill for the day, away from the water park and screaming children.  While it's not my first choice of stops, some of the amenities (food, washrooms, etc.) were better than many local facilities at a number of Caribbean island beach stops, so I wouldn't dismiss it outright either.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

@Cruise Gopher posted earlier in this thread that they HAD gone to Coco Cay on a Celebrity ship before its transformation.  I'm inclined to believe them, though it's really their story to tell:

I have never been on a Celebrity cruise that stopped at Coco Cay. I am Elite Pus and been on a bunch of Celebrity cruises. I have been on Summit eight times and we never stopped at Coco Cay or were schedualed to. In the winter Summit was sailing out of San Juan. Does not seem like Coco Cay would be on the itinerary. Anything is possible I suppose. We did stop at Labadee once on Summit and once on another Celebrity cruise stopped at Labadee. I don't recall which ship.  Before they put in the dock at Coco Cay I had four scheduled stops at Coco Cay on RCI and we skipped it every time. Finally made it to Coco Cay on RCI after they put in the dock.

What does it matter though? None is saying Celebrity could not call at Coco Cay. Maybe they will some day.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.  Whew!  I didn't mean to start such a tempest!  A few quick points and then I think I'm done:

• Thanks to those that showed and/or tried to inform me that PD@CC is near capacity with ships already.  That's probably the answer, or a large part of it.  Coco Cay is a good fit with the "average" and "theoretical" Royal passenger/customer because of its family-friendly features.  
  • That said, I'm sure there are Celebrity passengers that would like to visit there on their Celebrity cruise.  I have no idea of the percentages.
  • And thanks to @Charles4515 who mentioned that Royal onboard employees go to work on their days at the Cay.  I didn't know that, and that does change things.

9 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It feels that way some cruises 🤣

I know the feeling. That is why I don't do many Caribbean itineraries anymore.

I liked Coco Cay and would be happy if it was on Celebrity Caribbean or TA  itineraries. I would have gotten off the ship as I like beach days. Perhaps they still do stop at Coco Cay on some TA's. I think what people in this thread are interested in is Caribbean itineraries. They don't like some islands. There seems to be a trend to build more private, what I would call gated ports. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:59 AM, Charles4515 said:

They bring over the staff, food and beverages from the ship

Actually, the staff live and work on CoCo Cay (on contract just like cruise ship employees). The ship does not deliver supplies to the island. I had an interesting conversation with one of the supervisors on the island about how they operate and the logistics.

Edited by neverlaysup

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have never been on a Celebrity cruise that stopped at Coco Cay. I am Elite Pus and been on a bunch of Celebrity cruises. I have been on Summit eight times and we never stopped at Coco Cay or were schedualed to. In the winter Summit was sailing out of San Juan. Does not seem like Coco Cay would be on the itinerary. Anything is possible I suppose. We did stop at Labadee once on Summit and once on another Celebrity cruise stopped at Labadee. I don't recall which ship.  Before they put in the dock at Coco Cay I had four scheduled stops at Coco Cay on RCI and we skipped it every time. Finally made it to Coco Cay on RCI after they put in the dock.

What does it matter though? None is saying Celebrity could not call at Coco Cay. Maybe they will some day.

Looks like Silhouette stopped at CocoCay a bunch of times in 2017 also. 

Full deployment list from 2017/2018 here:

https://www.celebritycorporatekit.com/content/uploads/2017/07/15048186_CEL_Caribbean_2017_2018_Deployment-1.pdf

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Looks like Silhouette stopped at CocoCay a bunch of times in 2017 also. 

Full deployment list from 2017/2018 here:

https://www.celebritycorporatekit.com/content/uploads/2017/07/15048186_CEL_Caribbean_2017_2018_Deployment-1.pdf

I see the single sailing on Summit in 2017 too that stopped at Coco Cay. That one was a one off. In the grand scheme of things those are a minuscule amount of sailings. So the thread title is not correct. What might be correct is that there are currently no X sailings that stop at Coco Cay. But there is no proof there won't be any future X sailings that call there.

Edited by Charles4515

On 5/5/2023 at 2:10 PM, Fly and Sail said:

Sure they could. But they don't for whatever reason, my guess (and it's really just a guess) is either overcrowding or that RCL wants to keep PDCC a "RCL Signature" benefit.

I completely agree with you. There has to be some kind of strategic reason they don't go there, however I think it hurts them. Even though Holland America owns their incredible private island, Carnival is allowed to go there (Of course, Carnival Corporation owns them) in the summer months when HAL doesn't operate in the Caribbean. Also, even though Oceania doesn't have a whole lot of itineraries in the Caribbean, they are allowed to dock at Harvest Caye and Great Stirrup Cay, both private islands owned by their parent company, Norwegian.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I like the private islands for a nice relaxing beach day..just not when the mega ships are there. 

Coco Cay was fine with one mega ship. For one thing not everyone got off. There are people who don't like the beach or can't be out in the sun for long. I have a red headed family member who won't ever go to a beach. Two ships at a private island, Coco Cay or Labadee I would not be getting off. All the times I have been to private islands, Labadee, Coco Cay, Half Moon Cay, Princess Cay and Grand Stirup Cay it was one ship. Grand Stirup the second time it was one mega ship and the handled it. 

On 5/10/2023 at 11:51 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

I went to Coco Cay on the Celebrity Mercury in 2009.

• Thanks 1

My personal opinion:  the key issue is branding.  Celebrity is definitely marketing to a different people than Royal Caribbean.  The more they have in common, the murkier the difference in the brands.  Royal Caribbean has nailed their brand with "WOW" and all the stuff for kids to do.  I think Celebrity is struggling a bit for their brand and differentiators.

On 5/5/2023 at 2:11 PM, bEwAbG said:

I certainly wouldn't want to go there as a X passenger if I had to share facilities with a megaship from Royal.

we were there twice with two ships in port on the same day, with one being a mega ship both times, and it was still a wonderful beach day. We don't do anything other than vegging out on the beach and swimming.

All the youthful sporty people seemed to migrate to South beach, whereas more leisurely people like us (despite one of us being a 12 yo) went to Breezy Bay. It was a lovely quiet beach time.

The island is gorgeous....

20230403_112503.thumb.jpg.a8c953ffe02369a0a9f159f971d64707.jpg20230403_111753.thumb.jpg.083a852b6c1fb84f62ec16643ade231c.jpg20230403_111750.thumb.jpg.d0e68c1eb1a81bf72b7ddebe1bc2e65c.jpg20230403_112849.thumb.jpg.11e7cefc9d374a48d8ffa29972e6cb18.jpg20230403_112735.thumb.jpg.e290f41eafd758519b0eae49ab7e5511.jpg

On 5/10/2023 at 3:10 PM, Charles4515 said:

I have a red headed family member who won't ever go to a beach.

To each his own. We only cruise a couple of times a year, so not going to the beach while cruising is a waste.

Hubs is blond, DS is a redhead. We have no problem with being under an umbrella which are very plentiful on Cococay or in the water, while wearing rash guards and sunhats (and SPF).

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1