Boarding at Southampton

lesliedrew

Just now, MCC retired said:

What is in the immediate {walkable} area of Mayflower Terminal 106 to kill some time ?

Nothing. It is surrounded by the docks. But there’s no reason to expect to be there for ages. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

What is in the immediate {walkable} area of Mayflower Terminal 106 to kill some time ?

There's a Tesla centre across the road. You could look at/buy some branded clothing. They might even offer a complimentary coffee.

56 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

54 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Nothing. It is surrounded by the docks. But there’s no reason to expect to be there for ages. 

Yes the Mayflower Terminal is in the ABP port compound, about 1 kilometre away from Gate 10, the main entry gate.  Directly after that is A33 (a busy highway) and then the railway station. At this point there are some retail units, the Novotel, but otherwise it's car parks, shipping company offices and container parks. Not terribly glam for sure. By the time you get 2 km away you are in Southampton's retail area.

Edited by Pushpit

1 hour ago, D&N said:

There's a Tesla centre across the road. You could look at/buy some branded clothing. They might even offer a complimentary coffee.

I guess that's one 'shop' the cruise terminal won't ever have! 🙂

4 hours ago, MCC retired said:

It's a pretty busy port -- you could always watch the comings and goings of ships (The Marine Traffic app is good at giving you information about where any given ship is coming from/going to).

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Winifred 22 any update from your daughter re embarkation timings/ deferred terminal

entry for early birds?

Sorry forgot to get back. Their boarding time was 12 30 for Q G. She said they  got in and went to priority check in straight away. They were allowing early arrivals in the terminal to wait but would not let them check in until their arrival time.  There were a lot of people waiting so probably if more continued to arrive early they would have to wait outside as there is a limit to how many people can wait. I know from other forums people do get annoyed and there is bad feeling when early arrivals take priority over people who have arrived on time for  their time slot. To be honest it annoys me. Just because I live nearby I should not miss out on my early arrival slot and have to wait unnecessarily in a queue because people with more complicated travel plans turn up early and are allowed to board.  It also must be frustrating for the car parking service who will have their workflow compromised if people don’t keep to their allocated arrival times. Very controversial I know and I expect to receive some negative backlash. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Sorry forgot to get back. Their boarding time was 12 30 for Q G. She said they  got in and went to priority check in straight away. They were allowing early arrivals in the terminal to wait but would not let them check in until their arrival time.  There were a lot of people waiting so probably if more continued to arrive early they would have to wait outside as there is a limit to how many people can wait. I know from other forums people do get annoyed and there is bad feeling when early arrivals take priority over people who have arrived on time for  their time slot. To be honest it annoys me. Just because I live nearby I should not miss out on my early arrival slot and have to wait unnecessarily in a queue because people with more complicated travel plans turn up early and are allowed to board.  It also must be frustrating for the car parking service who will have their workflow compromised if people don’t keep to their allocated arrival times. Very controversial I know and I expect to receive some negative backlash. 

People that have complicated travel plans perhaps have to drive many hours and cannot judge exactly what time they will arrive in Southampton. They have to allow for traffic or accidents on motorways and if lucky can have a straightforward drive and therefore arrivep earlier. Perhaps a little more thought for those in that situation especially as you love nearby and have less chance of travel complications. Also those travelling down to Southampton by public transport don't control the times so have to go to terminal as soon as they arrive whatever the time.

40 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

People that have complicated travel plans perhaps have to drive many hours and cannot judge exactly what time they will arrive in Southampton. They have to allow for traffic or accidents on motorways and if lucky can have a straightforward drive and therefore arrivep earlier. Perhaps a little more thought for those in that situation especially as you love nearby and have less chance of travel complications. Also those travelling down to Southampton by public transport don't control the times so have to go to terminal as soon as they arrive whatever the time.

You are quite right. People who have 'complicated' travel plans can't always comply with arrival times without some degree of forethought. Those who do choose to drive down on the day and are 'in danger' of arriving early can rest up at a convenient stop before continuing on to the port.

Mass/public transport is a different matter and unfortunately, if too early could be 'wait casualties' if it  the terminal is deemed to be in danger of overcrowding,  This is obviously a new strategy and may be open to revision but it would seem at the moment, they will just have to wait until they will be admitted to the terminal.

Last August, the Mayflower terminal was  unpleasantly crowded with standing room only in the embarkation lounge after check in. Maybe the strategy is to avoid that. Some passengers will win [less crowding] some might lose out waiting].

I hope Cunard is printing in bold, “Do not arrive early,” on boarding passes so people are aware of this now enforced boarding policy. Does anyone know if this is happening in New York or San Francisco or is it only at Southampton.

38 minutes ago, techteach said:

I hope Cunard is printing in bold, “Do not arrive early,” on boarding passes so people are aware of this now enforced boarding policy. Does anyone know if this is happening in New York or San Francisco or is it only at Southampton.

My knowledge is only of Southampton as other posters have said Intercruises manage the Terminals and provide the staff, so I guess it is only a Southampton issue and at the end of the day us, cruisers are at the mercy of how they chose to manage embarkation on a particular day. 

I am Platinum  and have never tried . Once you are in the terminal there is a priority queue to check in for Grills Diamond and Platinum guests and then a separate area to wait and then they call you after the Grills have gone through. Diamond first then Platinum. I used to get there about 30 mins earlier. Your boarding pass is also stamped priority too which they check when you are called to security. 

I found this on the Cunard website under FAQ's. I thought it was interesting that Cunard states that the assigned boarding time is a "guideline only". I think the question assumes that one is arriving by Cunard coach and not just any public coach.

Jack

ScreenShot2023-05-11at12_45_41PM.thumb.png.d2adb22f9a95b29af23692f750c202d9.png

10 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I found this on the Cunard website under FAQ's. I thought it was interesting that Cunard states that the assigned boarding time is a "guideline only". I think the question assumes that one is arriving by Cunard coach and not just any public coach.

Jack

ScreenShot2023-05-11at12_45_41PM.thumb.png.d2adb22f9a95b29af23692f750c202d9.png

That’s for Cunard coach transfer passengers only.