Changes coming to Captains Circle Host Position.

Guest ldtr

Guest ldtr

It appears that Princess is doing away with the separate Captains Circle Host position.

The duties of the position are going to be taken over by the future cruise staff. The future cruise staff has expanded in size going from 1 to 5 on Royal class ships. That staff are contract positions, not Princess employees. They are employees of ONE (Open Network Exchange). The same folks that brought us all the timeshare like cold calls pushing the pre purchase of combination hotel and future cruise credits.

Apparently this is a new move, requested by ONE. The existing hosts are apparently getting moved into customer service, focusing on special events such as weddings, VIP visits, ash spreading, etc.

To me this is not a good sign since the future cruise department has one focus selling cruises. Apparently they convinced Princess management that having that department take over Captains Circle Host duties would lead to.more cruises getting booked on board.

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, antsp said:

Where is this information from

I was talking with the Captains Circle Host this morning while they were getting ready to hand out tender tickets.  It is going to be rolled out very quickly. They were not happy. 

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

And...it's very likely that Princess will NOT publicize this.  It would just be another "pain point" for cruising pros to trash them for...

I expect all we will see is The separate position just vanish and the Captain Circle entry in the patter pointing to the future cruise office.

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, bjkTX said:

I think I remember meeting a Captain Circle Host back in 2002.  I'm going to miss them.

They handle all of the Captains Circle and ther loyalty events. They have also been very handy in resolving issues both directly and indirectly related to getting Captains Circle benefits.

They have also been very handy to make sure issues that noone else seemed willing to address got to the right person to get resolved.

We have gotten to know several over the years.

Edited by ldtr

3 minutes ago, ldtr said:

They handle all of the Captains Circle and ther loyalty events. They have also been very handy in resolving issues both directly and indirectly related to getting Captains Circle benefits.

They have also been very handy to make sure issues that noone else seemed willing to address got to the right person to get resolved.

We have gotten to know several over the years.

I guess we have been lucky and haven't had any issues that would have required their assistance.  Hopefully whoever gets the responsibilities will continue to be helpful when needed.

• Like 3

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, bjkTX said:

I guess we have been lucky and haven't had any issues that would have required their assistance.  Hopefully whoever gets the responsibilities will continue to be helpful when needed.

The future cruise folks are contractors whose compensation is largely based upon the number of cruises they sell. They are not Princess employees that have spent many years in and getting to their current position. I expect their assistance to be far more limited.

Ugh! I definitely have noticed in the past year and a half all the extra at it future cruise consultants on top of the main one being more visible with helping book those future cruises. I always love chit-chatting with the captain circle host. I feel like that will be long gone because like others have said they'll be focused on we need to sell sell sell and we don't have time for your foolishness and your foolish questions in regards to Captain Circle. I especially love going to them to find out how many people are currently sailing and better yet Did I make the top 40 most traveled so I can enjoy that fabulous luncheon. Should be interesting. But I dislike the idea that they are letting a third party company take over all because they pushed for it. I always say keep it local inside and humble please but now this is more of a business transaction by the sounds of things.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

The future cruise folks are contractors whose compensation is largely based upon the number of cruises they sell. They are not Princess employees that have spent many years in and getting to their current position. I expect their assistance to be far more limited.

Possible “Pushy sales people!”…no thanks!

5 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Actually for years they were Princess employees and not third party contractors brought in. Back in November I asked the future cruise consultant Who did not give me a friendly answer I was just curious having small talk asking if they got paid based off of commission of the number of cruises they sell, or if it was a set salary.... the response I got was "My financials is none of your business, And I don't need to disclose that." It honestly was just an innocent question as That was just me just being curious and not trying to be rude as I always love learning the ins and outs of the crew who help make our vacations awesome.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 1

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

Actually for years they were Princess employees and not third party contractors brought in. Back in November I asked the future cruise consultant Who did not give me a friendly answer I was just curious having small talk asking if they got paid based off of the number of cruises they sell and they go my financials is none of your business, And I don't need to disclose that. That was just me just being curious and not trying to be rude as I always love learning the ins and outs of the crew who help make our vacations awesome.

Yes for years they were. That all changed when the future cruise staff went from 1 Princess employee to multiple ONE employees. Used to be you could go in and ask them general questions about Princess cruises, booking policies, getting help with existing bookings. That all change when the staff expanded a few months ago. Now not so much interest in answering general questions or helping with existing bookings. Now it is all about new bookings made through them on board. Especially new bookings within final payment date so they know that you will not cancel once you get off ship.

Edited by ldtr

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

It appears that Princess is doing away with the separate Captains Circle Host position.

The duties of the position are going to be taken over by the future cruise staff. The future cruise staff has expanded in size going from 1 to 5 on Royal class ships. That staff are contract positions, not Princess employees. They are employees of ONE (Open Network Exchange). The same folks that brought us all the timeshare like cold calls pushing the pre purchase of combination hotel and future cruise credits.

Apparently this is a new move, requested by ONE. The existing hosts are apparently getting moved into customer service, focusing on special events such as weddings, VIP visits, ash spreading, etc.

To me this is not a good sign since the future cruise department has one focus selling cruises. Apparently they convinced Princess management that having that department take over Captains Circle Host duties would lead to.more cruises getting booked on board.

The captain's circle host traditionally is promoted from guest services, so not a big deal they are going returning to the customer service position.  Rather than having one host, responsibilities are spread amongst several guest services crew members.  Why is this a bad thing?  It's not. The Captain's circle duties won't just fall on one over worked person running from event to event. The reason for the FCC increase is many people not happy waiting to speak with or book cruises. Even had an entertainment staff crew member to manage the line. 

This is a positive change. Why do you perceive it as negative? 

• Like 3

The next big question is do we think they will add an extra level beyond Elite in the captain circle? It's a number of elites are definitely growing which is great. Also the other question is are they finally going to switch from credits to days only sailed. I know that was brought up when we went through the pandemic as that would have been the ultimate time to do it when cruising came back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

The captain's circle host traditionally is promoted from guest services, so not a big deal they are going returning to the customer service position.  Rather than having one host, responsibilities are spread amongst several guest services crew members.  Why is this a bad thing?  It's not. The Captain's circle duties won't just fall on one over worked person running from event to event. The reason for the FCC increase is many people not happy waiting to speak with or book cruises. Even had an entertainment staff crew member to manage the line. 

Yes. I am confused with all the negativity. I had been reading in so many posts about how the FCC people had such short hours and long lines when they were available. That actually seems like a poor business practice if you are trying to sell future cruises.

I've never talked to either of these people and only once did I try. That was to talk to an FCC person, but their hours were short and when I went during their open hours, like others, the line was too long. 

As a shareholder it seems like a department that was begging to be expanded. 

As a cruiser, will it negatively impact something? Maybe, but I'll wait and see. 

• Like 3

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

The issue is not the increase in the future cruise sales staff, the issue is the elimination of the Captains Circle Host positions with the duties getting rolled into future cruise sales. A department is function is pretty much related to handling loyalty related matters.  

The problem is that the responsibilities are not going to guest services, it is going to future cruise sales. Who are not Princess employees. Customer service employees are Princess employees and are evaluated based on how they work with departments to resolve issues. The Captains Circle hosts are basically being given 2 choices go back to customer service and work on special events unrelated to loyalty or Captains Circle, or leave Princess and go to work for ONE in Future Cruise sales.

Future Cruise sale are not Princess employees, they are contractors, who are compensated based upon how many cruises they sell. They basically wanted the visibility of the Captains Circle events but not so much the work behind it. The person I talked to said that when they told them of the work that was part of the function all they got back was a blank stare and a question about why couldn't they still do all of the back office stuff so that they did not have to do it.

Edited by ldtr

I see a big move to subcontract all of the ships functions.  They have already subcontracted the art program, the shops, and the Spa/Salon.  And now the Future Cruise Program.  What is next?  Maybe subcontract the housekeeping to the Holiday Inn?  The restaurants to Denny's?  Maybe they can find a company to navigate the ships too!

IMHO not a good direction to take! 

• Like 8

Definitely not a fan. First, I guess I should've seen this coming, considering the rebrand of that whole "Future Cruise"/"Captain's Circle" area on the newly drydocked ships to "GO Princess" -- seemed a bit tacky, but sure.

But I've had to use their assistance and ask them questions before for myself and/or parents, and you could see the passion in those who have worked their way up to that position. Those who have been there for the long haul know exactly what you're talking about when you have something very specific to address. Some of them have truly been gems to work with. Now, with them being shuffled out means years of institutional experience and rapport going right out the window. Penny pinchers win again!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

Definitely not a fan. First, I guess I should've seen this coming, considering the rebrand of that whole "Future Cruise"/"Captain's Circle" area on the newly drydocked ships to "GO Princess" -- seemed a bit tacky, but sure.

But I've had to use their assistance and ask them questions before for myself and/or parents, and you could see the passion in those who have worked their way up to that position. Those who have been there for the long haul know exactly what you're talking about when you have something very specific to address. Some of them have truly been gems to work with. Now, with them being shuffled out means years of institutional experience and rapport going right out the window. Penny pinchers win again!

I will say I did ask one of those newbies in the future Cruise consultant area and he was rather cold and could not answer Princess specific questions really which is why I personally think it is not going to be a good move because they don't fully know the brand as they have tunnel vision of sell sell sell

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

Oh no Are you kidding about the new rebrand of being called Go Princess? I agree with you It's a bit tacky there was no need to change

4 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Oh no Are you kidding about the new rebrand of being called Go Princess? I agree with you It's a bit tacky there was no need to change

Yes, I did see that on the Future Cruise Desk area.  I thought that was strange.  Painted on the wall area, I think.

Cheerleading squad?  😳

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Haha 3