The thrifty cruisers Canada/New England review 4/29-5/6

cgolf1

39 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

I will get to the gluten free in a bit, need to do some outside work in the beautiful weather here, but I will say that we never had the same table. We had notified them before the cruise as well, and we were very surprised we were always moved around. For 5 of the seven nights we had a set 5:45 reservation. On other lines we always have the same service team, even with anytime dining. 

This was one of the complaints about the cruise was the moving to different tables each night. It didn’t allow the servers to set a routine with us, and also limits the extra tips they get.  We generally tip our servers above and beyond, but in this case we didn’t because we never got to know any of them. I feel for the dining room crew in this case. 

If you have a special request diet that menu will follow where ever you sit.  They can track that easily enough and I have sailed with people who had special diets and open seating.   HAL offers two seating options, fixed early and late OR as you want with reservations available.  Only with fixed dining so you get the same table and same server’s every night.  It is the reason I eat fixed 

19 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

If you have a special request diet that menu will follow where ever you sit.  They can track that easily enough and I have sailed with people who had special diets and open seating.   HAL offers two seating options, fixed early and late OR as you want with reservations available.  Only with fixed dining so you get the same table and same server’s every night.  It is the reason I eat fixed 

On a recent experience on "another" cruiseline - we were "any time" dining. On the second night, the maitre D asked if we had a preference for seating - did we want the same servers ..etc? Being our usual attempt to be as easy as possible we said - "not really - we're OK - anywhere is fine with us". She then said "well - you were with "John" last night - would you like to be seating in his area again?"  We said yes, and were then seated with the same servers every night thereafter (different tables) in a similar manner. I had no idea cruises track who served us and not sure HAL does.

All this to say...maybe it is something that could be suggested to HAL. Not sure logisticaly if that would be easier or harder for them overall (harder to arrange seating but easier for servers to serve folks they know a bit) 

9 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

On a recent experience on "another" cruiseline - we were "any time" dining. On the second night, the maitre D asked if we had a preference for seating - did we want the same servers ..etc? Being our usual attempt to be as easy as possible we said - "not really - we're OK - anywhere is fine with us". She then said "well - you were with "John" last night - would you like to be seating in his area again?"  We said yes, and were then seated with the same servers every night thereafter (different tables) in a similar manner. I had no idea cruises track who served us and not sure HAL does.

All this to say...maybe it is something that could be suggested to HAL. Not sure logisticaly if that would be easier or harder for them overall (harder to arrange seating but easier for servers to serve folks they know a bit) 

When you walk in they ask your room number and that is tracked on computer.  That is how they can find you with the special request menu.  At lunch I have asked to be seated again with the server from my last lunch and they can always accommodate.   Of course, if I find a server especially talented I remember that person’s name.  I have found that the hostess/host (they keep changing the names of the positions) usually are people with excellent memories.   

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

We would have done fixed dining, but when we booked open was all that was available. I know Celebrity does anytime, but lets you reserve a tie each night and somehow that has always gotten us the same servers. I mostly feel bad for the open seating servers that are missing out on extra tips from people that get to know them over the week.

15 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

We would have done fixed dining, but when we booked open was all that was available. I know Celebrity does anytime, but lets you reserve a tie each night and somehow that has always gotten us the same servers. I mostly feel bad for the open seating servers that are missing out on extra tips from people that get to know them over the week.

Yes, I guess so.  I also find on HAL that the more experienced servers are in fixed.  That is not to say I haven’t had good service downstairs.  On my last cruise fixed was also full but on my first day I set a standing reservation for every night (30+ days) , table for two and asked for the upper dining.  I did get it.  However I know that things are a bit more rigid on shorter cruises.  It is true about tips. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bakcd said:

Please share your experiences with the gluten free diet on your sailing.  We will be on the ship later this month.  Did they have gluten free beer?

So the gluten free, which outside of the main dining room was not the easiest I have had on a ship. I think because the Zaandam was such a small ship, it was harder for them in the buffet.

General Buffet

I would definitely ask for a chef to walk you through the buffet. The servers told me some things like the mashed potatoes had gluten and the chef corrected them. So it is important to have a chef walk you around. 

That said I generally found the options for lunch in the buffet to be lacking for the gluten free diet. Towards the end I would get mashed potatoes and a dessert, usually one option with two options on one or two days, and then get a burger or hot dog from the Dive in.

Buffet Breakfast

This was the easiest for me. I did the omelet most days or smoked salmon. I also ate the bacon and the sausage patty with no issues. Even after the experience before the cruise we didn't ask about the bacon or the sausage patty, so in your case I would definitely verify they are gluten free. The omelet bar was marked as GF and it had bacon, so that should have been fine.

Buffet Lunch

This was the challenge. They did have a pasta section, with gluten free available, but I didn't try that. I am not a huge pasta fan. I also don't know if they did gluten free pizza. I did try some of the salmon which was very good and one of the sushi rolls was gluten free. Some of the meats that they cut were gluten free and I would get a slice of them. Once I found the Dive in I only used the buffet a little bit for the stuff I mentioned above. I was going to get a salad one day, but we were so busy towards the end I didn't get to it.

I will say that all the buffet food I ate was really good and I never went hungry. We are just spoiled by Celebrity that has labels for all the foods with the allergens listed. I can go through the buffet like my wife would. On HAL, RCCL, and Disney I have my plate finally when everyone is almost done, which makes me rush when eating.

Dive In

This was great. Unfortunately I waited to try the hot dogs until the last day. The one with the cheese sauce and jalapenos was great. This wasn't perfect though. The first day the bun was bread, and then for three days it was a bun. On the fourth day they were out of GF hamburger buns and I took no bun. My wife overheard a lady ask for it with GF bread, but she was told that would be an hour wait. The hot dog on the last day did still have a GF bun. For the hamburger bun, it was a typical fall apart bun, so I would eat it wrapped in the foil paper it comes in to keep it together.

Unfortunately they said the nacho chips were not gluten free. That was a bummer because there are so many cheap corn based chips available.

If you have family with you that are non GF the fries are supposedly incredible at the Dive inn, just not for us gluten free folks. 

Dinner

First day I did my preorder when we got on the ship and was told one item couldn't be changed because they bought it premade and warmed it up, so I was worried. I really shouldn't have been. They did a great job with the meals and all were very good. I of course didn't ask for items I knew they would be a stretch for them to make, but I was extremely happy with the choices and the flavor of the food.

They would bring me the next nights menu and they have you circle what you want. If I  knew I was ordering something that would challenge them, I would circle a second item and label them option 1 and option 2. I think I always got my option 1. 

If you want bread it will always be toasted white bread. I asked once when seated and never got it, but did get it when I wrote it on the preorder menu and circled it. Too me it was tasteless and I only ordered it the once. We do Canyon breads at home and they are tasty and hold up to almost anything without falling apart. Celebrity does use Canyon breads, not sure what HAL uses though.

Drinks

I have no idea about beer. I may have noticed Strong Bow on the menu, but won't swear to it. We drank Brandy Old Fashions at happy hour each night.

In Sidney the Island folk cider house has some amazing ciders. We did a flight there and were very impressed. Since being GF I have enjoyed trying the different ciders and these were up there as some of the best that I have tried.

Don't be concerned by the above. I was never hungry and all of the food I ate was very good to exceptional:) The only thing you may want to do is potentially have a little snack item if you need one. We never noticed snacks being out during the day that much and the dessert section wasn't the best stocked section of the buffet, except when it opens. If you are at the buffet towards its closing time you likely would not get a GF dessert.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

We are really tired today too. Hilton upgraded us to a one bedroom suite so that’s been nice. We didn’t live Montréal like we thought we would. 

How did you make out with the cruise? I saw that you were sick prior. Hopefully you were able to enjoy the cruise.

Getting there and the Hotel

Since we booked this cruise so late we were lucky to find both fairly cheap flights and really good price on a hotel close to port. The only issue with the flights down were that it left after 4PM putting us in Montreal at around 10:45. They also took us from WI to Charlette and then up to Montreal, because that makes sense;) Also that airport is insane in Montreal. It felt like we taxied forever. I don't know where we had to go, but it was the longest I have experienced from landing to the gate. 

We stayed at the Embassy suites on 208 Saint Antoine Quest, Montreal Quebec and it was a 50$ Canadian with a 10$ Can tip to get the 4 of us to the hotel from the airport by taxi. We got there around midnight and got settled in and attempted to sleep. The only issue with the hotel room was the light switches were difficult to figure out. We would stay at this hotel again.

The breakfast was free in the small dining area and they made proper omelets for you with the bits you wanted in them. Probably the best free hotel breakfast I have ever had. 

Later today I will talk about Montreal and hopefully the first day on the ship:)

P1020865.JPG

P1020866.JPG

P1020867.JPG

P1020868.JPG

P1020869.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Also any questions about any specifics, I will answer as best I can or perhaps someone else that was also on the cruise will have an answer.

How was clearing passport checks and customs? Did it take a long time? I’m flying in this fall with my parents but none of us have flown into Canada post-9/11 so no idea what to expect. I did see they offer the ability to fill out your customs declaration Pre-arrival so I plan on us doing that. Especially when traveling with my parents I try to do anything I can to make airport stuff easier 😆 

Edited by AllTheSun

4 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Also any questions about any specifics, I will answer as best I can or perhaps someone else that was also on the cruise will have an answer.

Was there ever any entertainment or activity  in the Explorers lounge (or crow's nest) or whatever that top lounge is called?

Also  - I presume there is shuffleboard? Never mentioned and have not seen it in pictures - but I would assume there HAS to be.

Last one - do they have those wooden loungers with pads on the promenade deck? Are there plenty?

2 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

We are staying at the Embassy Suites pre cruise In September. Is it walkable to the pier or is a taxi advisable?

2 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Was there ever any entertainment or activity  in the Explorers lounge (or crow's nest) or whatever that top lounge is called?

Also  - I presume there is shuffleboard? Never mentioned and have not seen it in pictures - but I would assume there HAS to be.

Last one - do they have those wooden loungers with pads on the promenade deck? Are there plenty?

The only activity I know of in the crows nest was the trivia during happy hour. I will be posting the daily sheets for each day. I know because of the port intensive cruise the CD said that they were adding some activities at night to make up for the lack of sea days. 

There was shuffleboard up on the sports deck, deck 9.

Yes there were wooden loungers with cushions on the promenade deck. My wife thought there were quite a few. Unfortunately it was so cold and windy this cruise we weren’t out there much. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, curlerguy said:

We are staying at the Embassy Suites pre cruise In September. Is it walkable to the pier or is a taxi advisable?

It was very walkable. I would guess it was around a 10 minute walk at a leisurely pace. It is through a beautiful part of the city, so you may slow up to take some pictures. Or you could pre walk it in the morning to see the sights. 

11 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

It was very walkable. I would guess it was around a 10 minute walk at a leisurely pace. It is through a beautiful part of the city, so you may slow up to take some pictures. Or you could pre walk it in the morning to see the sights. 

Perfect. Thanks. Maybe us two old farts with luggage in tow will walk it if the weather cooperates.

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

The Newfoundland port is Cornerbrook. I have a few friends and many acquaitances  from Newfoundland. 

I enjoyed Cornerbrook.   For WWII buffs they do have a museum.  Usually there is a little craft show in town with authentic handmade crafts.  We enjoyed two hikes in town while there.  The one around the lake is quite nice.  Lovely little town. 

• Like 2

Years ago when I was on the Veendam, I forgot to pack something. I took a 

taxi from the Cornerbrook pier to Walmart. Walmart has a free phone to call taxi 

when you're done shopping.  People might say they would "never" go to Walmart when they're on vacation. However, you never know - sometimes we forget to pack 

something we need. Walmart was very convenient. 

• Like 1

Montreal views before embarkation. I did confirm that it is a 9 minute walk from the hotel on google maps. The architecture is just amazing in the older part of Montreal!

The deck over the cruise port allows you to get an up close look at the ship. This is very unique and something I have not seen before. 

DSC_6165.JPG

DSC_6168.JPG

DSC_6169.JPG

DSC_6180.JPG

DSC_6194.JPG

DSC_6199.JPG

DSC_6203.JPG

DSC_6209.JPG

P1020882.JPG

P1020883.JPG

P1020884.JPG

P1020885.JPG

P1020890.JPG

P1020891.JPG

P1020896.JPG

P1020897.JPG

P1020903.JPG

P1020905.JPG

P1020910.JPG

P1020933.JPG

P1020942.JPG

P1020945.JPG

P1020946.JPG

P1020963.JPG

P1020987.JPG

DSC_6162.JPG

DSC_6163.JPG

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Montreal views before embarkation. I did confirm that it is a 9 minute walk from the hotel on google maps. The architecture is just amazing in the older part of Montreal!

The deck over the cruise port allows you to get an up close look at the ship. This is very unique and something I have not seen before. 

DSC_6165.JPG

DSC_6168.JPG

DSC_6169.JPG

DSC_6180.JPG

DSC_6194.JPG

DSC_6199.JPG

DSC_6203.JPG

DSC_6209.JPG

P1020882.JPG

P1020883.JPG

P1020884.JPG

P1020885.JPG

P1020890.JPG

P1020891.JPG

P1020896.JPG

P1020897.JPG

P1020903.JPG

P1020905.JPG

P1020910.JPG

P1020933.JPG

P1020942.JPG

P1020945.JPG

P1020946.JPG

P1020963.JPG

P1020987.JPG

DSC_6162.JPG

DSC_6163.JPG

You have beautiful pics of Montreal ( forgot the native orange cone ;)).

Where is the fairyland . Have never seen that before 

• Like 1

Embarkation 

So we kind of ignored our 12:20 time slot, but it was mostly because checkout time was at 11. We walked down to the port and when we got there it didn’t take long to get checked in and get through security. They had us sit in rows in an area they have setup. Once the ship was cleared to board, the priority guests were allowed to board first and then they started calling off the rows and we were onboard. It was a fairly painless process. 

Once we got onboard we dropped our carry ins off in the room and grabbed our key cards. Next order of business was off to the MDR for the gluten free pre order and lunch in the buffet. 

Will post the daily and the MDR menu soon. 

• Like 3