First time on NCL. Not impressed

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

You are cruising for the itinerary and not for the ship so it will not be as big of a deal for you I would think.  I am guessing that you probably have no sea days with the amount ports you are listing.  

Thanks!

There is one sea day- between Athens and Naples. Just thinking that we may not do "shore excursions" for ports that we have already visited ( Naples, and Livorno/Florence); or in Jerusalem-where we intend to do pre-cruise stay.

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

this is worse than I thought.

I have been on Epic and really enjoyed it. My only complaint compared to other large NCL ships is that the lifeboats mostly block the view of the water when you walk around outside on that deck. 

The bathroom is not that big of a deal. There is a thick curtain that you can pull across which completely blocks off the area with the shower and toilet compartments. No one in the room will see you in the shower or on the pot. Bring Poopouri or some other brand of toilet spray if you are worried about odors.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

An overly strong AC would dry your nasal passages out. That makes you more susceptible to catching a cold. 

also, hypothermia usually gets me. I may be able to fight it off on my own, but put me in the freezing temp/cold room - and bam, I get sick.

On 5/11/2023 at 7:34 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

you may not have traveled with two teens of different genders. 🙂

two 40 something siblings of the opposite sex was kind awkward. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MSUjohn said:

two 40 something siblings of the opposite sex was kind awkward. 

As a long time married couple, we were on the Epic for our 35th anniversary. Being able to both use different parts of the bathroom was very convenient. However, I would say for any combination other than 2 people in an intimate relationship, it would be potentially very embarrassing.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:19 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've sailed her twice.  My only complaint is that (like many other ships) she lacks an Observation Lounge.  The bathroom thing is just whining.  Many folks like to be able to use the toilet while someone else is in the shower.  Otherwise, she's a fine ship.  Nice forward facing buffet.  Large pool deck with Spice H2O at the rear.  Not a single reason not to have a fantastic time. 😎

I think that we have sailed the EPIC four times on the same WesternMed  Itinerary out of Barcelona.  I found it easier to get my bearings on the Star and the Gem.  I hated the logo on the EPIC.   Apart from that we have had great cruises, lovely staff and good entertainment.    I appreciated the double use of the bathroom.  

8 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

the epic has a lot of really good itineraries, just a dud of a ship.  

👍, we sailed the Epic for a Western Mediterranean cruise for our 35th anniversary. Great itinerary, but it was the unfriendliest ship we were ever on. It has turned me off completely to mega-ships.

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

👍, we sailed the Epic for a Western Mediterranean cruise for our 35th anniversary. Great itinerary, but it was the unfriendliest ship we were ever on. It has turned me off completely to mega-ships.

i love the jewel class ship; unfortunately, I have not had the chance to go on anything smaller. 

i do preferer these to the megaships. just a different vibe. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The ship?  Fellow passengers?  Crew?  This sounds weird.

Let me try to explain. It just seemed the hardest ship we were ever on when it came to meeting other passengers. DW thought it was because of the itinerary (Western Mediterranean), but it was the second time we had sailed basically the same itinerary, and it was different. We have been on 5 European cruises including 3 in the Mediterranean (2 Western, 1 Eastern), and no other ship was ever like this.

I attributed it to the sheer size of the ship. But I will concede that it could have just been this particular sailing. Who knows?

As a comparison, the smallest ship we ever sailed was the former Ocean Princess with full capacity less than 700 on a British Isles cruise. And it was the easiest ship we were ever on to meet and befriend not only fellow passengers, but also crew members.

But of course we still did enjoy the cruise. There was truly wonderful entertainment. And getting to Florence was a truly worthwhile experience.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Let me try to explain. It just seemed the hardest ship we were ever on when it came to meeting other passengers. DW thought it was because of the itinerary (Western Mediterranean), but it was the second time we had sailed basically the same itinerary, and it was different. We have been on 5 European cruises including 3 in the Mediterranean (2 Western, 1 Eastern), and no other ship was ever like this.

I attributed it to the sheer size of the ship. But I will concede that it could have just been this particular sailing. Who knows?

As a comparison, the smallest ship we ever sailed was the former Ocean Princess with full capacity less than 700 on a British Isles cruise. And it was the easiest ship we were ever on to meet and befriend not only fellow passengers, but also crew members.

But of course we still did enjoy the cruise. There was truly wonderful entertainment. And getting to Florence was a truly worthwhile experience.

Maybe I need to try out Epic! I like being reclusive. I know that's not everyone's cuppa joe, but I don't want to meet anyone new while cruising. My husband generally drags us into conversation with some couple, but I'd much prefer being on my balcony looking at the ocean: a solitary figure with no one to interrupt. But hey, my husband needs people like you so thanks for being there! 

• Like 4

ontheweb. so your contention is that you didnt like the cruise because you found it unfriendly.

did you personally try and strike up conversations with others.

ive posted before, that i'm not intentionally anti-social, but i can do a cruise of any length and not converse with anyone else on board. i agree with cruiseny4life. when i was in college (many, many years ago) i could sit next to someone for the entire semester, and never even ask their name.

im on the cruise with the people i'm traveling with, and that suits me just fine

On 5/10/2023 at 1:55 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

It was 2 with an option for a 3rd. The option for the 3rd wasn't taken then the 2nd was cancelled. 

Epic was sabotaged in the dock twice, they pulled it out before it was finished and tried to fix it while in service.

Haven cabins were not finished and people got bumped (keeping haven perks)

Bathroom plumbing was installed incorrectly in a lot of cabins with hot/cold swapped over.

Electronics like internet TV telephones were still being installed.

Would reboot a few times a day was they progressed.

The TA crossing the haven open space got distroyed by wind as they got the aerodynamics wrong.

On 5/8/2023 at 5:25 PM, TopofWorld said:

Couple ... 8th cruise so far, 1st on NCL. 15 day TA on ... Epic.  

Embarkation: Boarding: Ship: strange layout but who cares. You get used to it. Old but ... maintained and clean. Cabin: - - Spacious with lots of storage space. Sink ridiculously small. Bathtub - none - shower floor "bounce up & down"   Room attendant: brilliant, always trying to help. 10/10.

Food: the buffet in Garden Cafe was "not the best lately, not even on our NCL yardsticks". For my taste, I found it inedible.  Warm, not as salty, sometimes fatty (true sometimes in MDR with red meat) etc. 

The food in the main dining room was good, almost on par with other cruise lines.

Specialty restaurants were really good with - - - being the top ranking one and - - - last because the food was okay but not impressive. 

The Chinese complimentary restaurant was reasonably good (some of the dishes).

Entertainment: plenty but lacking in quality ... ("this seemed to be widespread & not exclusively happening to NCL"

Guest services: the weakest link ... I repeatedly asked for a manager and she was either on a break, away, meeting.... for wasting my time standing in line.

Small details: many smaller issues that could have been avoided if NCL paid a bit more attention ... Case in point: unclear wifi instructions, late laundry service ( clothes returned after 2.5 days), inexperienced staff....

Notable detail.: they sent to our room the chocolate covered strawberry. Yes, singular. A single strawberry. This made us smile.  (they used to be "bigger" 6 pieces to a plate)  Possible that Guest Services sent it to your cabin as a symbolic apology, LOL - or, maybe they ran low on strawberries - you surely saw those daily lines in the atrium ... not just Guest Services, but the Onboard Credit as well as Shorex and CruiseNext.  We feel bad for anyone working behind the counter - I went downstairs only late night to "do things" as majority of the elderly pax were in bed then, LOL.  

Overall: - -  from me, - - from the wife ... subjective opinion. 

Hi, we're on the same cruise but don't believe you're on the CC Roll Call and/or came to the Meet & Greet (I didn't organize it but attended in support, meet some of the senior operations (not bridge)  teams as well as the GM - you would've have the direct extension for (manager of) Guest Services & others - calling GM's office to escalate the issues with the AC.   

Your short review and grades bring a smile, subjective opinion - hence, I agree with some, have a different (slightly, at times) opinion for some of the sub-categories, and we haven't given this Epic TA its final grade yet - pending (just finished up the "too long" Semi/Live "Epic" Review last night.  

We hadn't cruise the Epic until now b/c we read & were aware of some of the design & structure issues with the ship built - was going to be on the pricier Prima 7 nighters during Easter/Spring break to Bermuda, saw this 15 nighters and the price was right, switched & booked - done DEAL.  No regrets b/c we got to see and experience her in person, close & personal for 15 nights.  If things are aligned, would we sail her again - no strong reasons NOT to, especially if it's just 2 of us ... one of our SIL came along and with 3 adults sharing close quarters, things get interesting. 

The "funky" toilet and shower closets worked for us, as each of us can be doing something different - while respecting each other's privacy, most of the time - the loud toilet flushing being our most "annoying" aspect for 15 days/nights when we're all in our (secret) large angled balcony ... where, despite windy at times, gave me "space" sometimes to sit out there, listen to music, watch the ocean and read, enjoy & relax.  

Most of the crew members worked hard, our stateroom steward (attendant) gets a 9.5 out of 10 ... I seldom grade something 10 out of 10, that's absolute perfection & exceed standards, going above & beyond - NCL's "former" ??? motto, which corporate / upper management is failing on the job"  We aren't cheerleading blind, as anyone that knew us & how we cruise/look at things are usually aware ofo - but do have a preference for the once "Freestyle Cruising of whenver, whatever & however ..." pivoting these days with reservations and long lines just about everywhere.  

We haven't been impressed with the buffet lately on NCL, and the shortened hours plus fewer offerings just made everything worsen.  Did you happen to see any fried chicken wings in the buffet - we didn't ... just burgers & hotdogs, pizzas were much better & edible these days.  Compared to years, the past decades - it isn't as loaded with sodium these days & actually - surprise to you, perhaps - not as salty.  We actually tasted the change, same with the MDR entrees - we asked, when possible, for put the sauce(s) on the side.   

MDR food, agree & concur, has actually gotten pretty good on our TA sailing - we left a positive comment, along with a negative note to the GM about the lines outside Taste & Manhattan, plus the terrible wait for the "acceptable" Shanghai Restaurant/Noodles Bar.  Opinions and reviews of food & meals onboard are always personally biased & subjective, except for food temperature, LOL.  

There're lots of details about the ship, the crew, the ports, the entire experience, that can and could've been better managed - 30 plus cruises later, we haven't come across anything close to a perfect sailing, it's an imperfect universe - bring humor and patience, and if things aren't working - don't give up & push back.  We watched nightly after taking our in-closet shower in case the floor drain backflow & started flooding, easily overflow if there's a clog or stoppage in that area - had a mini kiddie pool situation on our Getaway cruise last March, wasn't funny at all.  Voicemail system within the stateroom is another minor blimp - yeah - flashing red, yet cannot retrieve messages ... attention to details, surely it's the same VoIP sets in use since Day 1 coming out of the shipyard ... a little placard with instructions would fix it for most of us.   

The grass isn't always greener or better on the other lawns, but - feel free to try them out & compare ... DW said, now that we are home, I hate flying and sitting in that wide-body tin can for 8 hours and worrying about overweight luggage & dragging carry-on bags thru the airport terminals.  She would not go on the newer monster ships with 6,000+ passengers ... the size of a mini town or village.  

There're a handful of other CC'ers on this TA, would love to hear their post-cruise thoughts and we can collectively have some fun chatting here about it.  

Regards 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

@mking8288 Thanks for the promised recap of the Epic. I had been wary of our Epic Greek Isles cruise next year, but your mostly positive summation has gone a long way to assuage most of those concerns.

FYI...the red light/voicemail issue isn't limited to the Epic. We were recently on the Prima and had the same issue...plus many others. Even ships that still have that new ship smell aren't immune.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Maybe I need to try out Epic! I like being reclusive. I know that's not everyone's cuppa joe, but I don't want to meet anyone new while cruising. My husband generally drags us into conversation with some couple, but I'd much prefer being on my balcony looking at the ocean: a solitary figure with no one to interrupt. But hey, my husband needs people like you so thanks for being there! 

Let me give one example. We had a large roll call, and someone set up a meet & greet with NCL. NCL sent some officers. And only 2 tables worth of us showed up. And one of the non-shows was the person who set up the meet & greet! The low turnout was embarrassing. 😒

One table had maybe 6 who needed to get together as they were doing some private excursions together and needed to meet in order to set up times and places to meet later for their excursions. The other table was us and one other couple.  The husband in that other couple remembered that I was the one on the roll call who had an art teacher wife and quizzed her on what to see in Florence. (She is always happy to discuss art.) And that was about the only real conversation meeting anyone I remember from the cruise.

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

ontheweb. so your contention is that you didnt like the cruise because you found it unfriendly.

did you personally try and strike up conversations with others.

ive posted before, that i'm not intentionally anti-social, but i can do a cruise of any length and not converse with anyone else on board. i agree with cruiseny4life. when i was in college (many, many years ago) i could sit next to someone for the entire semester, and never even ask their name.

im on the cruise with the people i'm traveling with, and that suits me just fine

I did not say we did not enjoy the cruise. I am saying that it could have been a lot better if it was a friendlier ship. We very much enjoyed the entertainment and most of the ports.

Did I try to meet others? For our first dinner, we were asked if we wanted a table for 2 or to eat with others. We said the larger table. We were placed at a larger table, and then waited and waited and waited for others to join. We finally gave up and said give a table for 2. You cannot strike up a conversation when there is no one to talk to. 😢

isnt it just as uncomfortable sitting at a table  with strangers, and hemming and hawing trying to make small talk? i think (although i claim no evidence to support this theory), that in these  times, most people, given the choice, would rather sit with whoever is in their party, then with a group of strangers, of which you may have nothing in common, other than being on the cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Let me give one example. We had a large roll call, and someone set up a meet & greet with NCL. NCL sent some officers. And only 2 tables worth of us showed up. And one of the non-shows was the person who set up the meet & greet! The low turnout was embarrassing. 😒

One table had maybe 6 who needed to get together as they were doing some private excursions together and needed to meet in order to set up times and places to meet later for their excursions. The other table was us and one other couple.  The husband in that other couple remembered that I was the one on the roll call who had an art teacher wife and quizzed her on what to see in Florence. (She is always happy to discuss art.) And that was about the only real conversation meeting anyone I remember from the cruise.

Oh, I get it! My husband would run his mouth all day, provided someone's around to listen to him. 🙂 Oh wait, I am! Haha...and I don't mind. 

But, it's not for me. The awkwardness of forced social interaction just ain't for me. I'm very much a person that values being quiet. The good thing is that I'm a great listener! I'll listen to someone so they know I value what they're saying, but I'll likely not respond with a story/experience of my own. I suppose this suits me in HR-land. People can vent, at least.

Here's one you'll appreciate! In March we were sitting in the lounge waiting to board our cruise. Just the two of us as we got there at 9 AM to check-in. Then two other couples came and sat on couches near us. I didn't make eye contact, continued scrolling on my phone, and watching the crew load the ship with provisions. The other two couples were talking amongst themselves (they didn't know each other either). Well, donchaknow my danged husband joined in! So, now I'm the rude one not interacting. I got up, walked around the lounge area, watched people/the crew/etc., then returned to my seat about half an hour later. And, of course we didn't start boarding until noon! So, I had to join in the conversation. These are times I wish people would be ok with quiet. Just silence so I don't have to talk. 

But, hey, g-d bless you talkers. Someone's got to make the connections. 🙂 

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

For our first dinner, we were asked if we wanted a table for 2 or to eat with others. We said the larger table. We were placed at a larger table, and then waited and waited and waited for others to join. We finally gave up and said give a table for 2. You cannot strike up a conversation when there is no one to talk to. 😢

This is exactly what I would expect.  The vast majority of NCL cruisers embrace the free style concepts, including dining only with your own party.

• Like 1