Brooklyn/ Manhattan Cruise terminals

We are traveling on Princess in August 2023. Paperwork says Brooklyn/ Manhattan terminal. Everyone says Brooklyn, so I will go with that. I have a few questions. First, is there a drug or convivence store nearby? Want to take munchies on the ship, but not fly with them. Also, I know New York is a whole different world. When the porters take your bags, do you tip what you would in Florida, or do you up it because the cost of living is so high there?

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal schedule https://nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/schedule-bct/ shows two Princess departures in August

There seems to be [looking at google maps] a couple of connivence stores not too far from the pedestrian gate - toward Van Brunt street. We have found that bag drop off for embarkation is quite quick with little opportunity for tipping. We do [generously] tip the porter that assists with our luggage during disembarkation. Having a porter speeds you through the customs/immigration paperwork when you return to Brooklyn.

Once you have checked your luggage, you should be able to go foraging - or get some lunch outside the terminal fence. Looking at the 'street view' photos, I do not see the same back entrance I recall from past years - it may only be open on embarkation days. That leaves a slightly longer walk past the ferry terminal & the industrial area toward the neighborhood shops. 

1 hour ago, wannagonow123 said:

I have a few questions. First, is there a drug or convivence store nearby? Want to take munchies on the ship, but not fly with them.

Unless there is some significant issue or congestion, Princess ships will embark in Brooklyn. Occasionally can get bumped to Manhattan if the QM2 is in port as well etc. 

Do you plan on staying a night prior to embarking or flying in the day of? If you are staying somewhere the night before, whether that's in Brooklyn or Manhattan, I would grab things there at a Duane Reed/CVS etc and bring them with you to embark. Red Hook has come a long way but not a super pedestrian area right there by the cruise terminal and not a lot to choose from there. 

1 hour ago, wannagonow123 said:

Also, I know New York is a whole different world. When the porters take your bags, do you tip what you would in Florida, or do you up it because the cost of living is so high there?

A few dollars per bag is completely adequate for embarkation. We usually will put 2 large bags through and I will give them $10. 

We are flying in the day of the cruise. Hotels costs more than the air fare we paid, and we will take our chances. Rather spend the money at another port. Thanks for the information. I will look at Google maps and figure out something. Just need the munchies, can eat lunch on the ship.

5 hours ago, wannagonow123 said:

[I]s there a drug or convenience store nearby? Want to take munchies on the ship, but not fly with them.

I think that you're asking about bodegas, which are omnipresent throughout New York City. The closest to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is on Van Brunt Street, southeast corner of Pioneer Street, the equivalent of a three-block walk from the terminal (walk east along Pioneer Street). Other nearby options are the well-stocked Food Bazaar (formerly Fairway) supermarket, located at the foot of Van Brunt Street, about eight locks of Pioneer Street. Additionally, there is an Ikea store three blocks east of the Food Bazaar, on Beard Street, where a number of imported Swedish snack foods might be purchased (there's also a restaurant there, serving modestly-priced meals, including the meatballs with lingonberries for which the store has become well-known). Finally, if you need a drug store, there is Nates Pharmacy on Van Brunt Street, Wolcott Street and Dikeman Street, about about 3-1/2 blocks south of Pioneer Street. The pharmacy would be good if you're need of drug store supplies (e.g., aspirin), but don't expect any snack foods . . . it is a store for buying pharmaceuticals. The total distance between the cruise terminal and Ikea (being the most distant of the locations mentioned) is one mile, and so if you have already checked-in your baggage at the cruise terminal, you could make a pleasant stroll from the cruise terminal, to visit these locales, before embarking on the vessel. With these places there should be plenty of choices. It is a very pedestrian-friendly area with a burgeoning arts community, and a delight to visit. Explore the marvelous old warehouse buildings that comprise and surround the Food Bazaar. I have been meaning to visit the Hometown BBQ, on Van Brunt Street at Reed Street, a distinctive and well-regard place. There is just so much of interest in this area these days. Just be certain to bring your own grocery bags . . . New York law has largely eliminated to convenience of storesproviding bags for purchased goods.

5 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Do you plan on staying a night prior to embarking or flying in the day of? If you are staying somewhere the night before, whether that's in Brooklyn or Manhattan, I would grab things there at a Duane Reed/CVS etc and bring them with you to embark. Red Hook has come a long way but not a super pedestrian area right there by the cruise terminal and not a lot to choose from there. 

A few dollars per bag is completely adequate for embarkation. We usually will put 2 large bags through and I will give them $10. 

Answering # 2 first - I agree with the suggested amount for the luggage. Your luggage will be handled by actually Longshoremen assigned to the Terminal not porters. The dollar amount should be depending the number of bags you will be checking in. Knowing Longshoremen working at the NY Piers, they appreciate the gratitude they receive from passengers.

Red Hook does not unfortunately have that many stores near the terminal building. The true stores are quite a distance like Court and Smith Streets in Brooklyn Heights. If you can get items from stores near other sources, I suggest to do so. There are no large brand drug stores like those mentioned above close by. The only stores along Van Burnt street near are made of up of Mom & Pop stores.

I suggest you research your needs and where you can get them before arriving at the terminal area.

21 hours ago, wannagonow123 said:

When the porters take your bags, do you tip what you would in Florida, or do you up it because the cost of living is so high there?

I don’t tip differently in Florida than I do in NY. $5 per bag. 

• Like 1