packing! what shouldn't we forget?

Nicole and Pete...very fair question!  15 years ago on a cruise ship disembarkation in the Caribbean ... I watched a guy whose 4 pack cardboard  box of liquor broke during the process.of leaving the ship....

After his wife said "oh crap"..."what do we do now????" ...this well prepared husband and savvy traveller ...pulled out a roll of silver duct tape and safely secured the cargo......it was a moment that changed my travel priorities..... 

in the years following... my now ever ready roll of duct tape has secured  a loose window in a black taxi in London so as to not delay  on our way to Heathrowe airport....Last year it repaired a handle on a piece of samsonite luggage at Charles  Degaulle  airport on PARIS....AND, just last week defeated a really annoying light sensor in our cabin on the regal princess in Ireland...

as I have over the years developed and I did change from traditional silver duct tape to a roll of speciality "university of Florida gators " duct tape... 

In full disclosure...and a real follower and fan of LA cruiser 88's postings ..... black electrical tape recently has peaked my interest! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Ah I see, which ships have these sensors?

Most of the Princess ships now have the light sensors in the closet area in front of the bathroom, at the base of the nightstands and the base of the refrigerator cabinet.  I was told recently by a HGM that they are being installed fleetwide.

• Like 1

Just now, tml1230 said:

Nicole and Pete...very fair question!  15 years ago on a cruise ship disembarkation in the Caribbean ... I watched a guy whose 4 pack cardboard  box of liquor broke during the process.of leaving the ship....

After his wife said "oh crap"..."what do we do now????" ...this well prepared husband and savvy traveller ...pulled out a roll of silver duct tape and safely secured the cargo......it was a moment that changed my travel priorities..... 

in the years following... my now ever ready roll of duct tape has secured  a loose window in a black taxi in London so as to not delay  on our way to Heathrowe airport....Last year it repaired a handle on a piece of samsonite luggage at Charles  Degaulle  airport on PARIS....AND, just last week defeated a really annoying light sensor in our cabin on the regal princess in Ireland...

as I have over the years developed and I did change from traditional silver duct tape to a roll of speciality "university of Florida gators " duct tape... 

In full disclosure...and a real follower and fan of LA cruiser 88's postings ..... black electrical tape recently has peaked my interest! 

Ok that’s amazing, it sounds like you carry it in your hand luggage as well!

Does the duct tape easily come off these lights? I don’t want to do any damage?

Just now, LACruiser88 said:

Most of the Princess ships now have the light sensors in the closet area in front of the bathroom, at the base of the nightstands and the base of the refrigerator cabinet.  I was told recently by a HGM that they are being installed fleetwide.

Oh ok, I’m trying to think of the best tape to cover them that will not leave any damage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tml1230 said:

You should know that you can get duct tape at guest services. We borrowed some in November to temporarily repair a suitcase

1 hour ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Other things might be;

Clothes pegs for pinning the curtains together

I wouldn’t have thought of this without this post- and I’m on a ‘midnight sun’ cruise in Norway in august 🤦🏼‍♀️

so will need this to block out light almost all night long!

Brilliant, thank you!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

You should know that you can get duct tape at guest services. We borrowed some in November to temporarily repair a suitcase

If it moves and it shouldn't...Duct tape
If it doesn't move and it should...WD40

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

I wouldn’t have thought of this without this post- and I’m on a ‘midnight sun’ cruise in Norway in august 🤦🏼‍♀️

Brilliant, thank you!

nah...Duct tape 🙂 

• Haha 2

Just now, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Brilliant, thank you!

You can also put magnets on the side of the curtains to pin them to the wall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as surge protectors we use one of these.  Small with a short tail.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/koppla-3-outlet-power-strip-grounded-white-00086428/

Id use blue painters tape on the sensors to be nice to your cabin steward.😉

I personally always bring my own cold medicine, Alka Seltzer Plus is the only thing that works for me.  It has sucked when I came down with a cold on the cruise and they only had one kind in the ship store and had to go looking in an island. 

Another med must have is mole skin in case your feet start to get rubbed up.

A couple clips like they sell for chip bags is good for weighing down a pesky shower curtain that wants to stick to you and also for closing up that crack in the drapes when you are trying to sleep in.

If your near a dollar tree...

https://www.dollartree.com/blue-light-led-night-lights/195860

These are the bomb for any kind of traveling and are dirt cheap and take up no space.

Post it notes if no one has mentioned it.

R

1 hour ago, sirclean said:

IF you dont have a drink package, and have time to visit a store (not flying in), some canned drinks for the fridge.

I have done this multiple times.  I pack a small roll of packing tape and hit the store the day of embarkation. Then I tape up the weak places and make a luggage handle on a 12 pack then write the cabin number on it and check it with my other bags.

R

46 minutes ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Oh ok, I’m trying to think of the best tape to cover them that will not leave any damage.

I took painters tape on our last cruise which worked like a charm. I was able to peel it back when I needed the closet light and recover the sensor all week with the same piece of tape without any problems or damage.

Just now, CruisingSandgroper said:

I took painters tape on our last cruise which worked like a charm. I was able to peel it back when I needed the closet light and recover the sensor all week with the same piece of tape without any problems or damage.

What about this, would this work;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09DY1ZHKS?pd_rd_i=B09DY1ZHKS&pf_rd_p=a24af7aa-534e-46b9-8bf7-f76846a3f508&pf_rd_r=2W628NGM5HBH2WX8M30V&pd_rd_wg=NG4tf&pd_rd_w=U5jjk&pd_rd_r=349a3135-fe66-4fce-b393-3e2be39e240c

We always take a dollar store pop up laundry hamper.

And I bought an eyeglass repair kit (also from the dollar store) many years ago, and also take that every time. I haven't had to use it in 15 years, but I am prepared in case I need it :)

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, gah_cruise said:

nah...Duct tape 🙂 

Ok ok, I’ll take some duct tape, WD40, pegs & magnets

alongside my big travel sewing kit and first aid kit I already have

oh, and the masses of sun cream because my daughter and husband are redheads so I should really have shares in the stuff

I’m going to be ready for ANYTHING!

if anyone is on the 19th August Norway cruise from Southampton & needs anything fixing come find me 😜

I jest, but I love this forum, some great ideas & tips here 😃 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Ok ok, I’ll take some duct tape, WD40, pegs & magnets

alongside my big travel sewing kit and first aid kit I already have

oh, and the masses of sun cream because my daughter and husband are redheads so I should really have shares in the stuff

I’m going to be ready for ANYTHING!

if anyone is on the 19th August Norway cruise from Southampton & needs anything fixing come find me 😜

I jest, but I love this forum, some great ideas & tips here 😃 

Don't forget the air freshener for the loo........small bathroom small cabins...just sayin 🙂

1 hour ago, CruisingSandgroper said:

Blue painters tape.  I worked the 2002 Olympic Winter Games at a sport where flash photography was prohibited because the flash could distract the athlete and cause serious/fatal accidents (bobsled and skeleton).  The people walking the track kept rolls of the blue tape on them so they could tape up the flash of a phone/camera of someone who didn’t know or didn’t want to turn off their flash.  Did the job and doesn’t leave residue on the camera/phone.

Those battery-powered tea lights also work well to create a little ambiance out on the balcony!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

here is a short run down of cruise critic inspired things we are bringing:  door, decorations, magnets, over the door shoe holder for accessories, non-surge, protector plug extension cords, European plug adapter for plug under bed, comfortable shoe and other clothing suggestions including formal night hacks; clothhing steamer with auto shut off,  tickets to excursions booked off the ship, medicine (mini pharmacy), binoculars (going to alaska), travel guide with map,  dollar bills...

Of that list, we bring door decorations ... comfortable shoes and clothes ... a mini-pharmacy ... and dollar bills.  Everyone seems to want extension cords and plug-ins, but we don't use enough electronics to need them.  

6 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

There is an iron in the laundry room if you need it. 
Print your travel summary. Documents ... 

The iron depends upon which cruise line you're traveling. 

Yes to printing your travel summary ... we have a template we always fill in that includes our pre-cruise hotel, our excursions, etc.  We can write in shows, activities that we don't want to forget.  

4 hours ago, Shippy said:

I bring baggies

I bring one ziplock for my Kindle by the pool.  I don't want to risk it being splashed.  

But no ziplocks for food.  Food's always available when we want it, so we just go get fresh snacks.  

Writing paper & pen. Sometimes you no longer get that in your cabin

True, this won't be in your cabin.  We bring a pack of sticky notes, which are convenient for leaving notes for one another (we stick them to the TV):  We leave notes like "Solarium pool" or "Playmakers".  

A small plastic, rectangle container with different sections for the bathroom. Only measures 5"x 2" .I got it at the dollar store. Holds my toothbrush, toothpaste, mascara, etc upright

I stand my toothbrushes, etc. up in the bathroom cups provided.  Nothing extra to carry, and the cabin steward will give you extras.  

4 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Clothes pegs for pinning the curtains together

The curtains usually have velcro closures.  

Bag for taking to the pool

Evening bag

This is a luxury, but I have a small bag that I use for the pool ... I've had it forever, and I love it for containing all my little things:  Kindle, sunscreen, reading glasses, ship ID and a couple dollars.  

I don't bring a special bag for the evening, but I have a small wristlet that I carry around the ship ... it's about the size of a thin pencil case.  And inside it I have a "table hook" that allows me to hang it rather than holding it on my lap.  

Travel fan

When we're in an inside cabin, we like to bring a camping fan that folds flat-flat and works on batteries.  Smaller to pack than a standard fan. 

Pop up laundry hamper

No way.  Just open your suitcase in the bottom of your closet, and you have a hamper.  When the suitcase is full, just zip it up, and you're packed.  Nothing extra to pack.  

4 hours ago, sirclean said:

My Bride does not care for the liquid soap princess supplies in the shower so she packs a bar of her preferred soap for the shower. 

Ladies will definitely be happier if they pack their own shampoo /conditioner.  The ship's stuff is okay for body wash.  

Looking at my long-time list, I'll add these items: 

- We gather all our documents, single bills, etc. in a small travel wallet (which was a gift from a travel agent years ago) ... we go over its contents together before we leave, and we like knowing that everything's safely stored.  

- We make up an envelope for each island stop ... on the outside we write out our plans /contact info, ressie numbers, etc. for any shore excursion we're taking ... inside we place money, including small bills for tips and extra cash for a taxi or lunch, depending upon our plans.  

- Plenty of sunscreen, Chapstick, Tylenol, etc.  These things are expensive and inconvenient to obtain onboard.  

- Backpack as carry-on bag ... being hands-free is convenient.  The same bag can serve as an island stop bag.  

- Kindle or reading materials ... don't count on finding something in the skimpy onboard library.  My Kindle will hold a charge (with heavy use) about three weeks, but I always bring its charger ... it will charge my phone, but my phone charger won't charge my Kindle.  

- Alarm clock ... yeah, you could use your phone, but we prefer our alarm clock.  

- Any specific things we might want for our island stops; that could mean bug spray, a disposable camera, snorkeling materials, or water shoes.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mum2Mercury said:

Of that list, we bring door decorations ... comfortable shoes and clothes ... a mini-pharmacy ... and dollar bills.  Everyone seems to want extension cords and plug-ins, but we don't use enough electronics to need them.  

The iron depends upon which cruise line you're traveling. 

Yes to printing your travel summary ... we have a template we always fill in that includes our pre-cruise hotel, our excursions, etc.  We can write in shows, activities that we don't want to forget.  

I bring one ziplock for my Kindle by the pool.  I don't want to risk it being splashed.  

But no ziplocks for food.  Food's always available when we want it, so we just go get fresh snacks.  

True, this won't be in your cabin.  We bring a pack of sticky notes, which are convenient for leaving notes for one another (we stick them to the TV):  We leave notes like "Solarium pool" or "Playmakers".  

I stand my toothbrushes, etc. up in the bathroom cups provided.  Nothing extra to carry, and the cabin steward will give you extras.  

The curtains usually have velcro closures.  

This is a luxury, but I have a small bag that I use for the pool ... I've had it forever, and I love it for containing all my little things:  Kindle, sunscreen, reading glasses, ship ID and a couple dollars.  

I don't bring a special bag for the evening, but I have a small wristlet that I carry around the ship ... it's about the size of a thin pencil case.  And inside it I have a "table hook" that allows me to hang it rather than holding it on my lap.  

When we're in an inside cabin, we like to bring a camping fan that folds flat-flat and works on batteries.  Smaller to pack than a standard fan. 

No way.  Just open your suitcase in the bottom of your closet, and you have a hamper.  When the suitcase is full, just zip it up, and you're packed.  Nothing extra to pack.  

Ladies will definitely be happier if they pack their own shampoo /conditioner.  The ship's stuff is okay for body wash.  

Looking at my long-time list, I'll add these items: 

- We gather all our documents, single bills, etc. in a small travel wallet (which was a gift from a travel agent years ago) ... we go over its contents together before we leave, and we like knowing that everything's safely stored.  

- We make up an envelope for each island stop ... on the outside we write out our plans /contact info, ressie numbers, etc. for any shore excursion we're taking ... inside we place money, including small bills for tips and extra cash for a taxi or lunch, depending upon our plans.  

- Plenty of sunscreen, Chapstick, Tylenol, etc.  These things are expensive and inconvenient to obtain onboard.  

- Backpack as carry-on bag ... being hands-free is convenient.  The same bag can serve as an island stop bag.  

- Kindle or reading materials ... don't count on finding something in the skimpy onboard library.  My Kindle will hold a charge (with heavy use) about three weeks, but I always bring its charger ... it will charge my phone, but my phone charger won't charge my Kindle.  

- Alarm clock ... yeah, you could use your phone, but we prefer our alarm clock.  

- Any specific things we might want for our island stops; that could mean bug spray, a disposable camera, snorkeling materials, or water shoes.

Totally agree with you about the pop up laundry hamper. I was watching a well known cruise advice video channel that was talking about “packing light” and they said they weren’t bringing shampoo but they were bringing a pop up laundry hamper and a night light, I mean come on how can that be more important than shampoo!

• Like 2

a foldable tote bag or a backpack.  very useful when going ashore.  Can hold all your purchases, or (in Alaska) can hold your outer-wear when it turns sunny and warm for those few times off/on.  it will also come in handy to bring back your bulky purchases ( Alaska has the best sweatshirts) so they won't fill up your suitcase.