Cruising from Rome?!?

dirtdogsr

I am considering a Mediterranean cruise which sails out of Rome....... I have never been to Europe,  and will be cruising along.   I am a bit nervous about transportation to and from the port.    Will a language barrier be a problem?   Should I try to make transportation arrangements beforehand?    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

The port for Rome (Civitavecchia) is about an hour and a quarter drive from the center of Rome and about an hour from FCO airport. 

First, put your mind at ease -- language should not be an issue. There are thousands upon thousands of English-speaking tourists visiting Rome annually, and people working in travel-related areas will speak some English. That said, it's generally better (and often cheaper) to make your plans in advance and reserve transport.

I hope you are planning to spend a few days in Rome before your cruise as well.

I would suggest you start reading posts on the Ports of Call forum here on CC for Italy. There are many posts about the options for getting from Rome (or airport) to your ship as well as recommendations for frequently used private transfers:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

• Like 2

I am actually looking at a transAtlantic away from Rome after visiting Italy in the fall.  Rail service to Citiv from Rome is about 12 dollars and takes about 45 minutes express or about 1 hr 20 min local stops.

I enjoy trains and would not hesitate to use the national rail system

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I am actually looking at a transAtlantic away from Rome after visiting Italy in the fall.  Rail service to Citiv from Rome is about 12 dollars and takes about 45 minutes express or about 1 hr 20 min local stops.

I enjoy trains and would not hesitate to use the national rail system

All depends on one's ability to lug their bags around.

Regional trains between Rome and Civitavecchia take between 65 minutes - 85 minutes, depending on the train and the number of stops it makes (between eight to twelve stops).  The fare for these trains is 4,60 euro, or about $5 US.

High speed "Frecce" trains take 47 minutes to make the trip and make no stops along the way.  The fare for this train varies depending on when you purchase the ticket, it's possible to buy discounted tickets in advance (but note that they come with restrictions, you often cannot change them and there is no refund if you change your mind).  The last minute walk up fare for these trains is 16 euro, or about $17.40 US.  If you'll be in Rome for a few days prior to heading to Civitavecchia you can often get the economy fare of 12,90 euro (about $14 US) a day or two before the trip.

One big note to be aware of:  The regional trains from Rome to Civitavecchia do not depart from the main trackhead at Rome Termini station, they use regional tracks three blocks away, so you'll need to factor in the time and effort to make that walk with your luggage.

Also note that if you are using a web site that quotes fares in US$ it is a reseller.  They will add a fee to the purchase and it will be more difficult to make changes to the ticket if you need to.

The official website is here:  EN - Trenitalia

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2

I'll add one more comment regarding the train station in Civitavecchia.  Mind you, the last time I did this journey was just before Covid, so things may have changed in the interim.

When you get off the train in Civitavecchia, you need to cross under the tracks in order to get to the actual station - there was a staircase from the platform (you had to go down, walk under the tracks, then up the stairs on the other side) but no elevator.  Schlepping a suitcase and wheelie carryon down and then up the stairs was doable at the time, I'd be less enthusiastic about the prospect now!

Possibly someone that's used the station more recently can provide an update...?

1 hour ago, Raisinette said:

I'll add one more comment regarding the train station in Civitavecchia.  Mind you, the last time I did this journey was just before Covid, so things may have changed in the interim.

When you get off the train in Civitavecchia, you need to cross under the tracks in order to get to the actual station - there was a staircase from the platform (you had to go down, walk under the tracks, then up the stairs on the other side) but no elevator.  Schlepping a suitcase and wheelie carryon down and then up the stairs was doable at the time, I'd be less enthusiastic about the prospect now!

Possibly someone that's used the station more recently can provide an update...?

There are now elevators at the Civitavecchia station.

• Thanks 1

I'm flying into FCO on Saturday, October 14 at 7:15am.  According to TrenItalia there is a train to Venice at 8:38am.  I have carry on only.  Is this doable? I have heard of a code or something that can expedite a traveler through customs.  Anyone heard of this?  Thanks for any and all help!

Edited by ninjacat123
wrong date

Hmmm....if your plane arrives on time, pretty doable. 

The process is driven by Immigration, not Customs. There definitely can be lines at Passport Check (the European name), as several international flights arrive around that time. The next step is getting your bags, which as you have only carry ons, saves you a truckload of time. Lastly, Customs is the 'red/green" system, which literally takes a few seconds. 

Don't know anything about a code, and we have flown to Italy, and any number of other countries many times. Don't think catching a train is critical to clearing Immigration. I have seen people who proclaim such important issues frequently get more attention from security folks than they wished.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm flying into FCO on Saturday, October 14 at 7:15am.  According to TrenItalia there is a train to Venice at 8:38am.  I have carry on only.  Is this doable? I have heard of a code or something that can expedite a traveler through customs.  Anyone heard of this?  Thanks for any and all help!

Since FCO installed E-gates and opened them to US citizens traveling with a biometric passport, the time to get through Immigration is greatly reduced. 

Assuming your flight is on time, you shouldn't have a problem getting the Venice train. Of course, you also may not have much time to lolligag -- e.g., get cash, buy a coffee or food for the train ride, etc. 

The good news is that often these morning arrivals are a bit early.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Since FCO installed E-gates and opened them to US citizens traveling with a biometric passport, the time to get through Immigration is greatly reduced. 

Assuming your flight is on time, you shouldn't have a problem getting the Venice train. Of course, you also may not have much time to lolligag -- e.g., get cash, buy a coffee or food for the train ride, etc. 

The good news is that often these morning arrivals are a bit early.

I didn't know about biometric passports.  Good to know!!

4 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I didn't know about biometric passports.  Good to know!!

For those who don't know, these are the passports (issued since the mid 2000's) that have encrypted information in a microchip usually contained in the cover. You can tell whether your passport is biometric by looking for the camera icon on the cover. (By now, most US passports are).

image.png.9125ce53cdc1e18c0d20ad7eb87833b6.png

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just finished this cruise.  Heading back to US now. Language won't be much of a problem. People in the tourist areas often speak English.  You can easily book transportation to/from Rome. If you don't mind a bit of challenge, the train is fun and cheap. PM me if you'd like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deanman02 said:

We just finished this cruise.  Heading back to US now. Language won't be much of a problem. People in the tourist areas often speak English.  You can easily book transportation to/from Rome. If you don't mind a bit of challenge, the train is fun and cheap. PM me if you'd like. 

Cruise Critic doesn't have a PM feature.

2 hours ago, deanman02 said:

Did you find the trains crowded?  My husband and I will each have carryon only and I hope we could get seats.  Thx!!

The trains were “full” but everyone had a seat. We used the train mainly between Rome and the cruise port (trouble spelling that town!) Travel in the city might be different. 

On 5/12/2023 at 2:03 PM, dirtdogsr said:

I am considering a Mediterranean cruise which sails out of Rome....... I have never been to Europe,  and will be cruising along.   I am a bit nervous about transportation to and from the port.    Will a language barrier be a problem?   Should I try to make transportation arrangements beforehand?    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Last year we did the Rome Greek islands and turkey cruise, it was awesome. we took "Rome Chauffer"" from port to airport $130. we used them three different times while we were in rome and they were very professional and punctual 

https://www.rome-chauffeur.com/

On 5/12/2023 at 2:09 PM, cruisemom42 said:

The port for Rome (Civitavecchia) is about an hour and a quarter drive from the center of Rome and about an hour from FCO airport. 

First, put your mind at ease -- language should not be an issue. There are thousands upon thousands of English-speaking tourists visiting Rome annually, and people working in travel-related areas will speak some English. That said, it's generally better (and often cheaper) to make your plans in advance and reserve transport.

I hope you are planning to spend a few days in Rome before your cruise as well.

I would suggest you start reading posts on the Ports of Call forum here on CC for Italy. There are many posts about the options for getting from Rome (or airport) to your ship as well as recommendations for frequently used private transfers:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

Cruisemom, 

Thinking of doing a transatlantic out of Civitavecchia ...have been to Rome twice recently and was thinking of skipping it. Have you ever stayed in Civitavecchia or is there any other places nearby to visit besides Rome? We loved Rome but will be short on time so would prefer to save the expense this time around. Thank you!

1 hour ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Cruisemom, 

Thinking of doing a transatlantic out of Civitavecchia ...have been to Rome twice recently and was thinking of skipping it. Have you ever stayed in Civitavecchia or is there any other places nearby to visit besides Rome? We loved Rome but will be short on time so would prefer to save the expense this time around. Thank you!

I've not found much to love in Civitavecchia. The hotels are very, very average for starters. Some have found some charm there -- perhaps I have not looked hard enough. 🤣 There isn't much to do in Civitavecchia proper, but a couple of opportunities for nice daytrips:  Tarquinia, a lovely medieval town with great Etruscan museum and absolutely fascinating cemetery with the painted tombs. You could do this on your own via a short bus ride from Civi.

If you wanted to rent a car or arrange a day tour, it's possible to see Orvieto -- which come to think of it, would be a much more inviting place to stay if you want to avoid Rome. Take a look at it and see if you find it appealing as an option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've not found much to love in Civitavecchia. The hotels are very, very average for starters. Some have found some charm there -- perhaps I have not looked hard enough. 🤣 There isn't much to do in Civitavecchia proper, but a couple of opportunities for nice daytrips:  Tarquinia, a lovely medieval town with great Etruscan museum and absolutely fascinating cemetery with the painted tombs. You could do this on your own via a short bus ride from Civi.

If you wanted to rent a car or arrange a day tour, it's possible to see Orvieto -- which come to think of it, would be a much more inviting place to stay if you want to avoid Rome. Take a look at it and see if you find it appealing as an option.

Thank you and I knew you would know! Happy travels!

On 5/12/2023 at 8:03 PM, dirtdogsr said:

Arranging transportation ahead of time will make a big difference for you. While cruise line transfers to the port are stress free, they are not always more inexpensive,

We had a great experience with Rome Cabs for our pickup at the airport as well as our transfer from our hotel in Rome to the cruise port. For airport pickup after a long flight, a private transfer is a small luxury at just 15 euros more than getting a taxi.

The private transfer from hotel to airport was actually about 10 euros less than the cost of the Princess bus transfer for that we would have had to get to Fuimicino to use. They saved us time and money. You can check pricing and book online at https://www.romecabs.com

there is a whole thread about them here