Dumb Questions About Upgrade Bids and Room Swapping.

Hi CC Braintrust:

I am headed on the Sun in August for 10 days in Alaska! Very ready for a vacation, but some odd questions for y'all. (I promise I have looked for answers, but haven't found this specific set of scenarios.) I have questions about room swapping, and about the upgrade bidding process. 

Question 1 - Three of us are going, all with single inside rooms. Two of us are on the 4th deck, and the third, my friend David, we just found out is on the 10th. David is prone to seasickness (all three of us are, but I'm the least), and was hoping to be on 4 like the rest of us are. Because of his seasick tendencies he and I are planning on switching rooms. So I will be on 10 and he will be on 4. Is the best bet just to get two keys for each room and use the swapped key for getting in the cabin, and the other key for charging stuff? Or should we try to get the two accounts switched at a customer service desk? In all honesty, I'd rather just deal with one key if you know of any way to get accounts switched. We'd also be okay at settling up after the cruise if we each used the switched keys, but I feel like I'd have a hard time charging stuff as "David." Advice?

Question 2 - I am planning to bid on an upgrade from inside to balcony, but club balcony is also available for a reasonable price. We will be using David's room to do the bidding and I (meaning him and I'd repay him if successful) would like to put a bid on both a balcony for one amount (starts at $200, but will probably bid $300), and a club balcony (starts at $600and that's all I've got) for a higher amount. My question is, what happens if both are available? Would they be able to upgrade me to a balcony for that amount, and immediately upgrade me to club balcony for the other amount? I can find $600, but $900 is definitely out of my budget. Or if I got one, would all others bids be wiped out? If anyone has ever bid on more than one room, do you have any experience with this? And/or are there "rules" or a way to mark that only one bid should be accepted?

Thank you so much for any help!

Susan 

Regarding the room swap try calling NCL and see if David can be moved to a deck 4 inside cabin. If not ask them if they can swap your cabins on the system. You would both need to be present for the phone call.

Regarding the upgrade bid, I always bid on multiple room types, only one offer would be accepted the others would become void but obviously there is a chance that none would be.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

Hi CC Braintrust:

I am headed on the Sun in August for 10 days in Alaska! Very ready for a vacation, but some odd questions for y'all. (I promise I have looked for answers, but haven't found this specific set of scenarios.) I have questions about room swapping, and about the upgrade bidding process. 

Question 1 - Three of us are going, all with single inside rooms. Two of us are on the 4th deck, and the third, my friend David, we just found out is on the 10th. David is prone to seasickness (all three of us are, but I'm the least), and was hoping to be on 4 like the rest of us are. Because of his seasick tendencies he and I are planning on switching rooms. So I will be on 10 and he will be on 4. Is the best bet just to get two keys for each room and use the swapped key for getting in the cabin, and the other key for charging stuff? Or should we try to get the two accounts switched at a customer service desk? In all honesty, I'd rather just deal with one key if you know of any way to get accounts switched. We'd also be okay at settling up after the cruise if we each used the switched keys, but I feel like I'd have a hard time charging stuff as "David." Advice?

Question 2 - I am planning to bid on an upgrade from inside to balcony, but club balcony is also available for a reasonable price. We will be using David's room to do the bidding and I (meaning him and I'd repay him if successful) would like to put a bid on both a balcony for one amount (starts at $200, but will probably bid $300), and a club balcony (starts at $600and that's all I've got) for a higher amount. My question is, what happens if both are available? Would they be able to upgrade me to a balcony for that amount, and immediately upgrade me to club balcony for the other amount? I can find $600, but $900 is definitely out of my budget. Or if I got one, would all others bids be wiped out? If anyone has ever bid on more than one room, do you have any experience with this? And/or are there "rules" or a way to mark that only one bid should be accepted?

Susan 

you can bid on multiple upgrade offers, but only 1 will be charged to your form of payment at time of upgrade acceptance.  FYI, once you win an upgrade, you CANNOT decline it.  Even if you do not like the location of the upgrade, you cannot change it once your bid is accepted. Have fun and good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

Question 2 - I am planning to bid on an upgrade from inside to balcony, but club balcony is also available for a reasonable price. We will be using David's room to do the bidding and I (meaning him and I'd repay him if successful) would like to put a bid on both a balcony for one amount (starts at $200, but will probably bid $300), and a club balcony (starts at $600and that's all I've got) for a higher amount. 

Just want to make sure that you are aware as a solo-when bidding the amount you will be charged is double what you enter. Bidding is based on double occupancy no matter how many people are in the room. 

• Like 2

Hi Everyone:

Thank you so much SpainAlien, 9tee2Sea, and lepidoptera! Your answers certainly make me feel better about the bidding process!

I am aware there is a double charge for singles (room upgrades actually start at $100 and $300), but put in my real cost, as opposed to my bid which will have the bid. We don't want to change rooms for David, as he was put into a class and I am hoping that will help with the bidding process. And I may not get upgraded, but that's okay too. Just means I save some money. 

We'll and see if we can get rooms changed, but it seemed difficult for others to do, so I'm not going to hold my breath. 😉 But we have 100 days (100 days!!!!) so maybe we'll try with a couple different agents and see what happens. Thank you all again! 

Has anyone else had good luck swapping rooms before sailing?

One more thing to remember if you just switch cards...when you go to charge something, not only will your name come up as David, but his photo will pop up on the screen and I doubt you look like him! As mentioned above, have David check to see if there are any insides available on deck 4 and then call NCL and ask for one, I think if he explains the seasickness situation, they will comply (or at least get him on a lower deck),

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 7:17 PM, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

Hi CC Braintrust:

Susan 

I also get seasick very easily ( just looking at a rollercoaster makes me dizzy).  Just let David know, once you get to the inside passage, the waters are usually smooth as glass.  I always carry chewable Bonine

( seasick tablets ) with me in my pocket while on cruises.  Tell him to take 1 tablet 1 hour before sailaway.  He might only need to take it during the transit from Seattle.  It will be eazzy peazzy once you are in protected waters ( which will be most of the time).  You spend most of your time on deck, in open spaces, with plenty of air circulation, which will help alleviate the motion sickness.  Don't forget your binoculars!

On 5/16/2023 at 10:17 PM, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

Hi CC Braintrust:

Susan 

Tell David to invest in a Relief Band. They work fantastic. I keep a few on my boat. Been using them for about 6 years, they really helped a friend of mine get thru his chemo when the drugs did not

https://amzn.to/3On24BT

https://amzn.to/3On24BT

• Like 2

Hi All:

Thanks for all the advice on seasickness. All three of us are religious patch wearers. And in spite of that can still get sick in rough seas, somewhat rough seas, sometimes looking at the boat. But we manage, partially by being low and inside. 😄I will definitely get David to invest in a Relief Band, and some ginger chews. I wouldn't want to add any meds to the prescription we already have, but will keep Bonine in mind for trips where I can't be sleepy the day before heading out. 

The room saga has been interesting. We did go ahead and PAY for David to move to a lesser room (from an I4 to an IF which right now is over $500 cheaper for a solo traveler if you were to buy it online today.) To say I'm annoyed is putting it mildly. My TA tried to argue that he had a guarantee room, not an assigned room, but he bought the same time we did, and they did not have a room at the time for him unlike us. And he is moving from a better bigger room, to a smaller less desirable one and for medical reasons. But they have to get their pound of flesh in. And yes, before people start making all the nasty comments about how horrible I am, how I have no right to exist or be annoyed at anything the saintly NCL would ever do, and how selfish and stupid I am for daring to come on here and not kissing the boots of the company, (yes, this is what I'm seeing a lot more of on the boards lately), I totally get they have a right to assign us any room as none was available the day of purchase, and charge us anything they want as we are less than 120 days out. I get that. I am not trying to say they did not have the right to do that. I'm just saying that NCL customer service on this trip is batting zero, and while they can do it, decent companies would not make good customers pay more to downgrade. Okay, the airline would, but y'all know how much you love them. 

I've put bids on the balcony upgrades, but am not sure I will keep them. It might be more better for the group to all be close to each other, versus having a balcony to hang out in. Time will tell. In the meantime 96 days to go, and I'll not let NCL's nickel and diming dim my anticipation! Hope you have a trip coming up soon too!

• 3 weeks later...

We are wanting to do the same thing.  Our party split over 2 cabins wants to switch.  We did this once before but didn't do it officially.  We just switched on our own, but it was annoying to swap out keys to get in the room and back to get on/off the ship and have purchases attached to the correct person etc.  This time I reached out to our TA to switch officially.  She said that they would charge us a name change fee if we did it now and suggested that we wait until we board.  I will go by guest services once we board and see if they will make it complicated to switch.  If so, we will just switch unofficially again.

7 minutes ago, queenL said:

We are wanting to do the same thing.  Our party split over 2 cabins wants to switch.  We did this once before but didn't do it officially.  We just switched on our own, but it was annoying to swap out keys to get in the room and back to get on/off the ship and have purchases attached to the correct person etc.  This time I reached out to our TA to switch officially.  She said that they would charge us a name change fee if we did it now and suggested that we wait until we board.  I will go by guest services once we board and see if they will make it complicated to switch.  If so, we will just switch unofficially again.

They will give you access keys to the other rooms, no need to swap out keys if they can't officially move you. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 10:18 PM, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

The room saga has been interesting. We did go ahead and PAY for David to move to a lesser room (from an I4 to an IF which right now is over $500 cheaper for a solo traveler if you were to buy it online today.) To say I'm annoyed is putting it mildly. My TA tried to argue that he had a guarantee room, not an assigned room, but he bought the same time we did, and they did not have a room at the time for him unlike us. And he is moving from a better bigger room, to a smaller less desirable one and for medical reasons. ..I totally get they have a right to assign us any room as none was available the day of purchase, and charge us anything they want as we are less than 120 days out. I get that. I am not trying to say they did not have the right to do that. I'm just saying that NCL customer service on this trip is batting zero, and while they can do it, decent companies would not make good customers pay more to downgrade. Okay, the airline would, but y'all know how much you love them. 

Your reasoning is faulty.  

Your friend did not pay to downgrade to a lesser room.  He paid to go from the lower fare category of a guaranteed cabin to the always higher priced option of choosing his cabin.

The fact that he was lucky enough to receive what NCL may think of as a higher price cabin in the guaranteed gamble is not a factor. The cabin value is the guaranteed fare he paid for it with all its attendant restrictions.

He is now paying to chose his preferred cabin location of low and, hopefully, amidships.   

Edited by Homosassa

If you are heading to Alaska, I would suggest getting a balcony room. We did an Alaska cruise last summer and I certainly appreciated getting out of bed (putting jacket on, LOL) and being on my balcony joining the peacefulness and the scenery!!! 

if you friend wants an inside cabin, see if there is an adjacent inside room across the hallway from your balcony room! Hopefully you can find this combo on a lower level!! Enjoy the cruise! 

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Your reasoning is faulty.  

Your friend did not pay to downgrade to a lesser room.  He paid to go from the lower fare category of a guaranteed cabin to the always higher priced option of choosing his cabin.

The fact that he was lucky enough to receive what NCL may think of as a higher price cabin in the guaranteed gamble is not a factor. The cabin value is the guaranteed fare he paid for it with all its attendant restrictions.

He is now paying to chose his preferred cabin location of low and, hopefully, amidships.   

Thanks for the patronizing analysis. But we all bought on the same day and paid exactly the same price. He did not pay for a sail away guarantee cabin. Two of us got to pick our rooms, he did not. The price of the room we gave up was $500 more that day, than the price of the room we got. I made it very clear NCL could do this, just that it was going to leave a bad taste in our mouth. There's no faulty reasoning that many companies with good customer service would not have done something like this. It's just fact. NCL does not. It's just fact. We don't have to like it. It's just fact. We are screaming at CS, we aren't demanding people boycott, we aren't saying we'll never cruise NCL again. But this will factor into our decision on later travel, and again this was not the first time we were unhappy with NCL CS this cruise. I should not have had to wait months for a refunded when they double charged me. Almost 2 months AFTER they listened to the recordings and knew they were in the wrong. But my reasoning is not faulty as I did not say this is what they had to do, I just offered an opinion on how I did not see it as good customer service. And even I am allowed an opinion. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, UCLAman said:

If you are heading to Alaska, I would suggest getting a balcony room. We did an Alaska cruise last summer and I certainly appreciated getting out of bed (putting jacket on, LOL) and being on my balcony joining the peacefulness and the scenery!!! 

if you friend wants an inside cabin, see if there is an adjacent inside room across the hallway from your balcony room! Hopefully you can find this combo on a lower level!! Enjoy the cruise! 

This is my 4th trip to Alaska and my third in an inside room. Our first was a balcony trip, we spent a lot of money and were almost never in the room. Same with the next two trips, never in the room and went out for the views. And I have limited funds for traveling. My $1500 cabin would have been $5000 for a balcony at the lowest level. So I'll pick not having to share a cabin and being able to travel more often, over having a balcony. A lot of non-wealthy singletons do this. Thanks!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

This is my 4th trip to Alaska and my third in an inside room. Our first was a balcony trip, we spent a lot of money and were almost never in the room. Same with the next two trips, never in the room and went out for the views. And I have limited funds for traveling. My $1500 cabin would have been $5000 for a balcony at the lowest level. So I'll pick not having to share a cabin and being able to travel more often, over having a balcony. A lot of non-wealthy singletons do this. Thanks!

Ok. Didn’t realize it was your FOURTH time on an Alaska cruise. I don’t think you had mentioned it. I was just trying to help. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UCLAman said:

Ok. Didn’t realize it was your FOURTH time on an Alaska cruise. I don’t think you had mentioned it. I was just trying to help. 

No worries. I reread my response and I wasn't trying to be rude. But balconies are expensive, especially on one income.😄 But I've also seen this advice a lot to new travelers, and sometimes people don't think about economics (just get a Haven cabin!), physical considerations (seasickness), or simply how much use something can get (good chance you will never be in your cabin!) I hope making new travelers aware that going to Alaska is such a great thing that they don't need to save all the way to a balcony, there are some benefits to inside too. I will admit that since this is my 4th trip, and I've been okay with seasickness on the last three, I am bidding for an upgrade to a balcony, but it's a low priority. If I get it great, we'll all hang out there, but if not, we'll just hang out in our favorite spots. 😉 So I am trying to take your advice, but in a way I can afford.

Besides, would never willingly be rude to a fellow Bruin!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2023 at 6:52 PM, SeekingKillerWhales! said:

I never get the must have balcony but happy many do as it keeps the inside at sensible money

if it is a scenic trip get an inside close to the doors to the outside, go for longer or on a better ship longer.

Some ships you can be outside in <10 seconds and at a bar stool with panoramic views in <20secs

give be that over a balcony across the hall from the insides at double the price.

Not stuck on a tiny balcony with limited views and useless if the views are the other side. 

• Like 1