Carnival bottomless soda package

Aubriee01

Honestly, I don’t think it is. Unless you think the kids will be drinking a lot of soda. Like 3 or mor a day every day. It does not include other things like cheers does so it’s just soda. No Gatorade, milkshakes etc. 

Worth it of course all depends on you, break even is three sodas a day and it does work right until the end of the cruise. Waiters in the dining rooms will also bring a soda for your meals on the drink package so one Soda a meal pretty much breaks even. Before they switched to Pepsi products, my kid really made out on this package. 

• Like 1

For me, yes. And I always made sure to get my money's worth. So that meant that when I was sitting poolside, if my drink got watered down, or warm, I went and got a fresh one. I would always have one waiting at the table for dinner (or shortly after I got there) every night. I know it's not good, but I tend to drink 2-3 sodas in a day anyway, so it is pretty much worth it for me. Now, the last cruise we took, we did a 5 day, where we'd be off the ship for 2 of those days. This was the first time I didn't get the soda package, we brought a 12 pack on the ship instead. It's just that for us, it's a pain to always get a 12 pack when we get to the hotel the night before.

It begins from the moment you get on board, but just like alcohol, you have to pay taxes in port in Long Beach.  So, those sodas, before you get underway, will be like $1 a piece. 🤷

If you can wait till you sail away they'll be free. 😁

Hubby always gets this and most certainly worth it.  Keep in mind, everyone keeps mentioning sodas, but also includes juice too.

So you can get the pineapple, cranberry, etc. juices at the bar.

This is a great way to have  "mocktail"

A pineapple, sprite (which it is some other name I can't remember), with a shot of "cherry" in it is great. Cranberry and sprite, Pepsi with shot of cherry for a good cherry Pepsi, etc.

Now that it is Pepsi my DH does every time.  So tired of looking for Diet Pepsi in every port or carrying 2 12 packs.  Celebration had the fountain drinks on Lido and P&A so he would fill up his big cup several times a day and also ask at a bar for a can and he would take those to the room.

1 hour ago, groundloop said:

One problem with the soda package for kids is that they tend to be ignored by bartenders.  My grandson  stood at the bar for 15 minutes waiting to get a soda, finally I walked up and was promptly waited on.

Having kids go to the bar for a soda is a huge fail on Carnival's part. 

20 hours ago, deelightfull said:

It begins from the moment you get on board, but just like alcohol, you have to pay taxes in port in Long Beach.  So, those sodas, before you get underway, will be like $1 a piece. 🤷

If you can wait till you sail away they'll be free. 😁

When we cruised from Miami a couple weeks ago the tax on the soda was $0.24.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteOptima said:

Now that it is Pepsi my DH does every time.  So tired of looking for Diet Pepsi in every port or carrying 2 12 packs.  Celebration had the fountain drinks on Lido and P&A so he would fill up his big cup several times a day and also ask at a bar for a can and he would take those to the room.

My wife and I both drink diet decaf pepsi. They are hard to come by on the ship but whatever bar we went to if the didn't have any they'd go find some somewhere.

On Celebration the 820 bar across from Miami slice were so good tracking them down for us every day.

4 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

That would be the difference between Fl taxes and Ca  taxes (and as a CA resident, 🫤).  But I'm probably misremembering, the tax was probably closer to $0.50.  🤷

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 8:30 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

is it only Carnival who charges tax on sodas while you are still in POM?

When we sailed on RCI a month ago out of POM, all I had to do is show our pass which had the soda package indicated on it, and they didn't swipe the card or anything. So, we got sodas when we were having our embarkation lunch at the buffet. No tax.

1 hour ago, csoud68 said:

The sodas we get always seem to be flat. Who knows how old those cans are...and I think they sit on pallets in hot areas...

We don't do that up charge anymore..

I think it's the humid, salty air that saps the carbonation right out of sodas very quickly! I noticed that even with sodas that we carried on. If they weren't finished within 10 minutes, they would start to go flat. 

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

is it only Carnival who charges tax on sodas while you are still in POM?

When we sailed on RCI a month ago out of POM, all I had to do is show our pass which had the soda package indicated on it, and they didn't swipe the card or anything. So, we got sodas when we were having our embarkation lunch at the buffet. No tax.

Did you look on your final receipt that they left in your mailbox to make sure it wasn’t added?

on Royal we had a port stop in San Juan. Bought a drink while still in port and they charged tax on it.

2 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Did you look on your final receipt that they left in your mailbox to make sure it wasn’t added?

on Royal we had a port stop in San Juan. Bought a drink while still in port and they charged tax on it.

yes, I am slightly obsessive about checking the folio several times a day. They didn't even scan the card - they just looked at the card, saw the word "soda package" and brought the sodas.

Yep, 4 sodas per day is just above break even since they charge $3.00 per can or glass. I always make out like a bandit since I can drink 8-9 sodas a day and then get a couple for my wife if the purchases are at least 5 minutes apart.  No "Sprite" since the switch.  It's "Starry".  Pepsi Zero, Diet Pepsi and Starry Zero are no cal choices.  Also juices at any bar.  They're supposed to open the can even if they hand it to you with a glass of ice..  But if they don't, you can take the can back to your room and put it in the fridge for later and save a room service charge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yes, I am slightly obsessive about checking the folio several times a day. They didn't even scan the card - they just looked at the card, saw the word "soda package" and brought the sodas.

Maybe because you had the package?? If they didn't swipe your card there is no way they could of charged you tax unless they wrote down your folio number but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

46 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Maybe because you had the package??

the thread is titled "Carnival bottomless soda package," so my question was also about the tax on drinks purchased with a package.

On 5/17/2023 at 11:52 PM, deelightfull said:

It begins from the moment you get on board, but just like alcohol, you have to pay taxes in port in Long Beach.

On 5/18/2023 at 8:30 PM, Illbcruzn4life said: