Summit... Last Minute Cabin Openings and Cancellations?

Welly09

Hi all! I am booked in a family veranda (I think they're now called Deluxe Veranda) stateroom on the 6.18 sailing on Summit to Bermuda. To make a VERY long story short, we've had some news in our family that's made two other family members now want to book on the trip too. The problem is, there are only Oceanview rooms available at this late date and that will not work for them. I've bid on a suite upgrade in the hope that maybe I'll get that, and then they could book my current cabin, I am checking the website hourly to see if anything opens up but so far nothing. I was told by one agent that their revenue dept. does hold some cabins in reserve, but another told me this sailing is sold out and they do not. Sometimes I log on and the website says "Check other dates" under a particular cabin type, other times it says "Sold out".

So my question is... does anyone have any experience with cabins opening up very last minute before a sailing? Is that common? And/or does anyone know how I may be able to secure a veranda or higher cabin for my family on this sailing?

Thank you SO MUCH for any tips, hints, tricks, etc.!

Even if your suite upgrade bid comes through, chances are that your current cabin will not go back into inventory but rather will be awarded to someone else who put in a bid for it.  I would say your best bet would be to have your travel agent book an oceanview room and waitlist them for a verandah cabin.  However, chances are that at this late date a verandah cabin will not clear and then they will be in the oceanview room.  For what it's worth......oceanview rooms are not that bad.  It's better than not going on the cruise at all!!!

• Like 5

Just now, neverlaysup said:

Have them book the Oceanview cabins and then put in Move Up bids as well. Keep in mind, if you win a suite bid, they will not be allowed to dine with you in Luminae without an extra fee.

The problem with that though, is that if something higher than an Oceanview doesn't open up and they don't want to sail in the oceanview, they'll lose the entire fare. It's within final payment window so there are no refunds.

1 minute ago, Welly09 said:

The problem with that though, is that if something higher than an Oceanview doesn't open up and they don't want to sail in the oceanview, they'll lose the entire fare. It's within final payment window so there are no refunds.

Chance are, nothing will open up until the day of sailing. We have in the past, not bid on an upgrade and then upgraded onboard at customer service to an available cabin. If they refuse to sail in an Oceanview, they need to stay home because anything else is a roll of the dice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Welly09 said:

So my question is... does anyone have any experience with cabins opening up very last minute before a sailing? Is that common? And/or does anyone know how I may be able to secure a veranda or higher cabin for my family on this sailing?

Where's Carnac the Magnificent when you need him. 

2 hours ago, Welly09 said:

Hi all! I am booked in a family veranda (I think they're now called Deluxe Veranda) stateroom on the 6.18 sailing on Summit to Bermuda. To make a VERY long story short, we've had some news in our family that's made two other family members now want to book on the trip too. The problem is, there are only Oceanview rooms available at this late date and that will not work for them. I've bid on a suite upgrade in the hope that maybe I'll get that, and then they could book my current cabin, I am checking the website hourly to see if anything opens up but so far nothing. I was told by one agent that their revenue dept. does hold some cabins in reserve, but another told me this sailing is sold out and they do not. Sometimes I log on and the website says "Check other dates" under a particular cabin type, other times it says "Sold out".

Thank you SO MUCH for any tips, hints, tricks, etc.!

If other family members or friends want to go on this cruise , they may wish to get what they can cabin wise and hope for an upgrade. Hope it all goes well for a great cruise 🚢 

Yes, cabins become available up until sailing.  But the entire Celebrity  Bermuda season has been very tight - much more so than last year (both years were short seasons ending around August 1). I've been looking for a Penthouse on almost any sailing, I've checked multiple times a day since January, and nothing. I need three more suites or balcony cabins and I've been watching those also. Occasionally a sold out category does become available, but are gone within hours. There has been no big or small cancelations prior to final payment dates. I'm not sure about the waitlist; I've been on them in the past and was never called  - I found the open cabins and upgraded myself. Celebrity rather sell empty cabins at these high rates than upgrade. The only advice I can give you is if you see a cabin that you want to book, don't wait. The cabin can be gone in an hour.  Have birth dates and credit card info, etc  ready to go. Good luck.  

Maybe your other person should consider the Window cabin and hope they can upgrade. The Window cabins on the Summit are not that awful and remember on a Bermuda cruise it is really just a dockside hotel room for 3 days.  Once you have the cabin you can work on an upgrade.  

• Like 1

You don’t go into specific numbers, but the Deluxe Family Veranda on Summit sleeps at least five. Is adding them to your family veranda cabin possible? 

We are going to be in one of those cabins in August on Summit.  I wouldn’t move from there to a suite even if Celebrity paid me. Both the room and the balcony are so much larger than any suite onboard plus you have sweeping views of the back and side of the ship. 

10 minutes ago, Spurs Fans said:

You don’t go into specific numbers, but the Deluxe Family Veranda on Summit sleeps at least five. Is adding them to your family veranda cabin possible? 

We are going to be in one of those cabins in August on Summit.  I wouldn’t move from there to a suite even if Celebrity paid me. Both the room and the balcony are so much larger than any suite onboard plus you have sweeping views of the back and side of the ship. 

A very good point. The other family members could book an Oceanview cabin and come to your cabin to enjoy that fabulous balcony with you. 

1 hour ago, Spurs Fans said:

.  I wouldn’t move from there to a suite even if Celebrity paid me. Both the room and the balcony are so much larger than any suite onboard plus you have sweeping views of the back and side of the ship. 

You might not want an upgrade where Celebrity pays you,  but the room and balcony are not larger than ANY suite on board. 

Edited by JFontaine

13 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

You might not want an upgrade where Celebrity pays you,  but the room and balcony are not larger than ANY suite on board. 

I will grant you the Penthouse Suite has a larger balcony and room.  I was unfortunately speaking in a generality. 

(I’d take the Penthouse Suite if they paid me.) 😊

Edited by Spurs Fans
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spurs Fans said:

Unfortunately, no it’ll be too many guests. But I think the veranda category opened w some availability this AM!!

• Like 2