Passport Renewal

BND

56 minutes ago, taba said:

The other thing that was helpful to me was I am signed up for USPS Informed Delivery. I receive an email every day with information about USPS  mail that will be delivered. I found out through that service  that my passport had been shipped and when to expect it. The information on the passport site was a few days out of date. 

We utilize informed delivery also.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taba said:

We have a cruise scheduled for late June.  We sent in our renewals forms via priority express mail in mid-March and paid for 1-2 day shipping. We also paid for expedited processing. I received my passport 4 weeks later.a few days after that we received an email that said said my wifes passport photo was rejected due to her glasses. We sent in a new photo and received her passport 3 weeks later. Total time for her passport including our error was 7 weeks.

It was worth it to us to pay for botb the expedited processing and 1-2 day priority mail. 

Who took her photo?  It states on the State Dept site that glasses aren't allowed unless you have a medical reason with a signed statement from your doctor.  I got my photo taken at CVS and the software they use verifies the photo meets all the requirements.  

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

Who took her photo?  It states on the State Dept site that glasses aren't allowed unless you have a medical reason with a signed statement from your doctor.  I got my photo taken at CVS and the software they use verifies the photo meets all the requirements.  

Hopefully you will get it in time 

15 minutes ago, SC LTC said:

Hopefully you will get it in time 

Oh, I've got plenty of time.  I'm being very proactive as I have the time right now to wait for it.  Next year, when it actually expires was going to be virtually impossible to have the timeframe available.

1 hour ago, BND said:

A different large pharmarcy chain. Glasses were not allowed beginning in November 2016. She rarely wears glasses, but her contacts were bothering her eyes on that day.

I was afraid the clock would  be reset when we sent in the new photo, but the delay was only 3 weeks.

Just got my new passport.  Straight renewal, no special situations. 

Paid for expedited processing and paid for express return. 

Chronology:

Mailed doc package Priority Fixed Rate 04/12/2023

Shown online as "Received" 04/18/23

Received new passport via Priority Mail Express 05/23/2023

Looks to me like 5 weeks once they got it in their hands.  I'm satisfied.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, rae8836 said:

Chronology:

Took photo at aaa had Application filled out went straight to the post office did not expedite

4 hours ago, rae8836 said:

Chronology:

That is good. My cruise is 5 weeks from when they accepted it . I hope it is a bit faster because I would want it to come at least a couple of days before my flight.

• 2 weeks later...

5 for weeks me

4-17-23. In person appt, named change, expired, issued over 15 years ago

4-19-23. Received in PA office

5-19-23. Status on line showed accepted

5-22-23. Was in my mailbox

Seems thru online research I was lucky to get it sent to Locator 69 (NH office), all I've read sounds like this the fastest processing office. I did pay the $60 for expedited processing but no expedited mailing.

So appreciative of everyone sharing - it's helping me stay (a little) sane. 

Sent passport in for renewal on March 13, a few days after our last cruise.  Status shows they received it on March 20.  It's been "processing" ever since.  The processing time advice from state dept is 8-11 weeks if received before March 23, 10-13 weeks after that, plus shipping time.

Tomorrow is 11 weeks from when they received it, so obviously that first time window is...out the window.  Hoping it shows up or at least changes status in the next two weeks but I actually have a couple more months before I really, truly need it in my hands.  It just makes me so nervous to have it out of my control lol!

Interestingly, I realized my global entry also needed to be renewed this summer.  I figured I'd go ahead and do that while I technically still have the old passport number, then can go online and update when I finally get the new book.  The renewal process for GE took about 7 hours from hitting "submit" to being notified there was a new expiry date.  Another 8 days and my new card arrived.  If only CBP was the agency running passport renewal! Or the databases could at least communicate. Good grief!

22 minutes ago, Fa-Li said:

Sent passport in for renewal on March 13, a few days after our last cruise.  Status shows they received it on March 20.  It's been "processing" ever since.  The processing time advice from state dept is 8-11 weeks if received before March 23, 10-13 weeks after that, plus shipping time.

Tomorrow is 11 weeks from when they received it, so obviously that first time window is...out the window.  Hoping it shows up or at least changes status in the next two weeks but I actually have a couple more months before I really, truly need it in my hands.  It just makes me so nervous to have it out of my control lol!

Interestingly, I realized my global entry also needed to be renewed this summer.  I figured I'd go ahead and do that while I technically still have the old passport number, then can go online and update when I finally get the new book.  The renewal process for GE took about 7 hours from hitting "submit" to being notified there was a new expiry date.  Another 8 days and my new card arrived.  If only CBP was the agency running passport renewal! Or the databases could at least communicate. Good grief!

Sounds like it's time to call the passport agency to see what's going on.

I was amazed how quickly my Global Entry card arrived. Especially since I'd received emails from them that my card was expiring which included: 

"Due to a significant increase in application volume, U.S. Customs and Border Protection is extending the grace period from 6 months to 1 year for any Trusted Traveler member who has a valid membership and who has submitted a renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 1 year while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application."

That made it sound like renewal could take months or even a year. Mine came quite quickly like yours. On the other hand, when my husband renewed, he got a letter saying it was approved but that he would have to go in for an interview again to pick it up. We tried doing the interview on the way back from an international trip when we arrived in Dulles, but were told that that terminal didn't have it. In the end, he had to schedule an interview and drive to SFO for it. I've no idea whether needing to go in person to complete the renewal is a random thing or based on some criteria. My husband has a very common name so that might be a reason. I've renewed multiple times and never had to go in person. 

It would be great if passport renewal was more like Global Entry.

Edited by new_cruiser

On 5/24/2023 at 9:43 AM, SC LTC said:

Took photo at aaa had Application filled out went straight to the post office did not expedite

We submitted our application (also non-expedited)  in Mid-April -- and were told 10-13 weeks. Fortunately, we don't have any trips planned for a while.

10 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

We submitted our application (also non-expedited)  in Mid-April -- and were told 10-13 weeks. Fortunately, we don't have any trips planned for a while.

For me I have a cruise the middle part of September of this year 🤞

On 6/4/2023 at 5:09 PM, Fa-Li said:

Updating to say that today the status changed to "shipped"!  So relieved!  So it was exactly 11 weeks to process, to the day.  

15 minutes ago, Fa-Li said:

Updating to say that today the status changed to "shipped"!  So relieved!  So it was exactly 11 weeks to process, to the day.  

When do you actually need it ?

Received my passport! Yay!

Two days short of 5 weeks since the processors received my docs. Fortunately I purchased overnight mail when I ordered them so they arrived this morning after they processed and printed them last night. 
I also paid the expedite fee.

I did reach out to my Congressman and he might have helped move them along.

I suggest everyone do the same.

I had also tried to get an appointment date to get them myself but there never were any openings.

I was beginning to think my cruise wouldn’t happen, but am headed to Vancouver Thursday!

3 hours ago, SC LTC said:

When do you actually need it ?

Haha, not until September.  Plenty of time.  I'm just one of those people who doesn't sit well with open mental windows.  

10 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

Received my passport! Yay!

Two days short of 5 weeks since the processors received my docs. Fortunately I purchased overnight mail when I ordered them so they arrived this morning after they processed and printed them last night. 
I also paid the expedite fee.

I did reach out to my Congressman and he might have helped move them along.

I suggest everyone do the same.

I had also tried to get an appointment date to get them myself but there never were any openings.

I was beginning to think my cruise wouldn’t happen, but am headed to Vancouver Thursday!

Great news!  Have a wonderful cruise!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...