Daily Activity Schedules?

la ora na! 🧜🏻‍♀️

I hope you all are well out there! It's our first time on PG and was wondering if anyone had recent daily activities schedules and/or menus that you could post up? We're going next month and trying to get a feel for the Rhythm of the ship. Mauruuru roa!

4 hours ago, tashaaa said:

This is wonderful! I was trying to find these somewhere as we're in the process of planning out our days for our upcoming cruise (which isn't until November, but we're early planners haha). Thank you!

5 hours ago, tashaaa said:

OMG!  So great! This is just what I needed, you're an angel 😇 

Though I'm still confused about the dress code 🙈 

Anybody? Gala night? Polynesian night? What's the difference?

Is there a place where my teen son can get dinner in shorts? 

When do reservations open for the restaurants? Can we do them all at once, or a daily thing? 

Lol, this answers a lot of questions, though now much more to think about! 🙃 Thank you so much!

55 minutes ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

OMG!  So great! This is just what I needed, you're an angel 😇 

Though I'm still confused about the dress code 🙈 

Anybody? Gala night? Polynesian night? What's the difference?

Is there a place where my teen son can get dinner in shorts? 

When do reservations open for the restaurants? Can we do them all at once, or a daily thing? 

Lol, this answers a lot of questions, though now much more to think about! 🙃 Thank you so much!

Don't worry about dressing up. The evening dress code is "Country Club Casual". Here's how it's described on the PG site:

Country Club Casual, or elegant resort wear, is appropriate dress for all evenings aboard The Gauguin. A dress, or skirt or slacks with a blouse or sweater for ladies, and slacks and collared shirts for gentleman. No ties are required at any time, although gentlemen may opt to wear a jacket to the Captain’s Welcome Reception.

I plan on wearing casual sun dresses to dinner every night. While shorts are not supposed to be worn for dinner, I think a teenager wearing them is going to be left alone as long as he's otherwise dressed nicely (Hawaiian shirt, collared polo type shirt). There's no "formal" night. Polynesian night is a great night to wear something very colorful - women are encouraged to wear Pareos. 

If I recall correctly, you can't make dinner reservations for the two specialty restaurants until onboard, and it's best to reserve them early. We're going to do so as soon as possible after embarkation. I believe you can only make one reservation for each restaurant initially, to ensure everyone gets a chance. Then if you want to go back, you can check each evening to see if there's any availability. 

Edited by Leejnd4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!  I did see it on the website,  but in reading trip reports, it seems a little less rigid for the guys than that? My son only has black dress shoes and Keens closed toe sandals (besides sneakers) so want to get something appropriate, but that he'll use again. I'm all set, sundresses are easy and light, not sure about a pareo being tied around my waist at dinner 🥴 lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Thanks!  I did see it on the website,  but in reading trip reports, it seems a little less rigid for the guys than that? My son only has black dress shoes and Keens closed toe sandals (besides sneakers) so want to get something appropriate, but that he'll use again. I'm all set, sundresses are easy and light, not sure about a pareo being tied around my waist at dinner 🥴 lol 

Well if you only tie it around your waist, I would encourage you to wear SOMETHING on the top. A pair of coconuts might do the trick. 😉

Or you could attend one of the pareo-tying workshops put on by Les Gauguins, so that you can actually wear it more like a dress. I attended one, but I've now forgotten all those crafty ways to tie them! So I'll be getting some re-training.

Edited by Leejnd4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Well if you only tie it around your waist, I would encourage you to wear SOMETHING on the top. A pair of coconuts might do the trick. 😉

Or you could attend one of the pareo-tying workshops put on by Les Gauguins, so that you can actually wear it more like a dress. I attended one, but I've now forgotten all those crafty ways to tie them! So I'll be getting some re-training.

LOL! At this stage in my life, they would have to be some really big coconut shells 🥥🥥 not sure my neck is up to it! I do look forward to buying a pareo when we get to Tahiti, precruise. We're staying at the Hilton for a couple days, and I understand there is a shopping center across the street where I hope to score one. I would really love to learn how to do the flower crowns and lei from the ladies, not sure when they teach that or if they give you anything like that when you come onboard? 

So you've been before? Awesome 🤙🏻 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

LOL! At this stage in my life, they would have to be some really big coconut shells 🥥🥥 not sure my neck is up to it! I do look forward to buying a pareo when we get to Tahiti, precruise. We're staying at the Hilton for a couple days, and I understand there is a shopping center across the street where I hope to score one. I would really love to learn how to do the flower crowns and lei from the ladies, not sure when they teach that or if they give you anything like that when you come onboard? 

So you've been before? Awesome 🤙🏻 

Yes, this will be my third PG cruise. It's been a while, but I'm excited to go back!

The Gauguins hold "Polynesian Time" every day as I recall, and teach things like dancing, arts & crafts, lei making, etc. I don't recall if they teach pareo tying there, but I'll bet they can. And they always offer a dedicated pareo tying session on Moto Mahana.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

I wear sneakers all the time at dinner  ...

June - August and the holidays they sometimes allow shorts at dinner in Le Grille ... perfect for kids and those who don't want to dress up. During the months mentioned there are more kids on-board thus the laxed protocol. Ask the head waiter in Le Grille if that is the case on your cruise week ... 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I wear sneakers all the time at dinner  ...

June - August and the holidays they sometimes allow shorts at dinner in Le Grille ... perfect for kids and those who don't want to dress up. During the months mentioned there are more kids on-board thus the laxed protocol. Ask the head waiter in Le Grille if that is the case on your cruise week ... 

Thanks! 🙂 Hmm, may I ask what kind of sneakers? Lol, usually it's me who needs things, but the son has grown a lot recently and had to get all new summer stuff. 

When do you make the dinner reservations? All at the start of the cruise? Each day? Appreciate your help 🤙🏻

13 minutes ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Thanks! 🙂 Hmm, may I ask what kind of sneakers? Lol, usually it's me who needs things, but the son has grown a lot recently and had to get all new summer stuff. 

When do you make the dinner reservations? All at the start of the cruise? Each day? Appreciate your help 🤙🏻

I wear New Balance 609's

Reservations can not be made prior to boarding the ship. Depending on the itinerary will dictate how many reservations you can make. On shorter 7 night you can book one reservation on each of the specialty restaurants. On 10 day or longer and if the ship is not to full they may allow you to book two reservations (one at each of the restaurants) and two for the second half of the cruise. If the ship is pretty full then you will need to go back at day 6 and make the second set of reservations. This is to assure everyone has a chance to enjoy both and they also change the menu on day 6 for cruises 10 or more days long. 

23 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I wear New Balance 609's

Reservations can not be made prior to boarding the ship. Depending on the itinerary will dictate how many reservations you can make. On shorter 7 night you can book one reservation on each of the specialty restaurants. On 10 day or longer and if the ship is not to full they may allow you to book two reservations (one at each of the restaurants) and two for the second half of the cruise. If the ship is pretty full then you will need to go back at day 6 and make the second set of reservations. This is to assure everyone has a chance to enjoy both and they also change the menu on day 6 for cruises 10 or more days long. 

White ones? 🤔 So, nice, solid white leather sneakers with dockers style pants is a go at the main dining room, with a button down or polo? 

Thanks for the thorough explanation of the rsvp situation,  I hadn't realized there was a limit 😊

9 minutes ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

White ones? 🤔 So, nice, solid white leather sneakers with dockers style pants is a go at the main dining room, with a button down or polo? 

Thanks for the thorough explanation of the rsvp situation,  I hadn't realized there was a limit 😊

White sneakers .... and a button down shirt ...

Enjoy your trip

Hi everyone 🙂 appreciate all the help this thread has been!

Now that I have gone through the dailies, gotta say thank goodness the covid restrictions are no longer in place 😷 so happy to be past it!

Does anybody recall when they do the marriage blessing ceremony? It's not a private one that would be arranged for a fee, just a more casual thing? I  didn't want to schedule anything against it, not sure dh will go for it, but who knows? Maybe the moonlight and stars will get to him, lol 🥰 30 years 

Speaking of stars - does anyone know of astronomy excursions other than the kind that are folklore-based? My son is very interested in the southern hemisphere night sky, and I would love to learn more about it. Is it true that you can see the Milky Way with your Naked Eyes? Wow! 🌌

Anyone done spa treatments? I've downloaded the menu, and they have some different experiences, just was wondering what your experience may have been like?

Edited by TheDarkestBlue

23 minutes ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Hi everyone 🙂 appreciate all the help this thread has been!

Now that I have gone through the dailies, gotta say thank goodness the covid restrictions are no longer in place 😷 so happy to be past it!

Does anybody recall when they do the marriage blessing ceremony? It's not a private one that would be arranged for a fee, just a more casual thing? I  didn't want to schedule anything against it, not sure dh will go for it, but who knows? Maybe the moonlight and stars will get to him, lol 🥰 30 years 

Speaking of stars - does anyone know of astronomy excursions other than the kind that are folklore-based? My son is very interested in the southern hemisphere night sky, and I would love to learn more about it. Is it true that you can see the Milky Way with your Naked Eyes? Wow! 🌌

Anyone done spa treatments? I've downloaded the menu, and they have some different experiences, just was wondering what your experience may have been like?

Blessing is usually day one on Bora Bora in the late afternoon  .... usually

• Thanks 1

They used to offer charts of the sky at reception, maybe still do.Very fun to go up to the top level and gaze away, they restrict access at night so usually a scheduled thing. At one time they had a staff member (miss you Dom!) the marina supervisor who would lead watching…. Maybe still offered. We bought a sky chart on Amazon which we regularly bring along.  Yes you can see the Milky Way… viewing better Spring/Summer. 

The anniversary/honeymooners get together is sweet. We do it every time. It usually is the first day in Borabora with Otemanu as the backdrop. I’ve wondered if they have resumed wrapping the couples up in the Tahitian blanket with flower crowns yet. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sita said:

They used to offer charts of the sky at reception, maybe still do.Very fun to go up to the top level and gaze away, they restrict access at night so usually a scheduled thing. At one time they had a staff member (miss you Dom!) the marina supervisor who would lead watching…. Maybe still offered. We bought a sky chart on Amazon which we regularly bring along.  Yes you can see the Milky Way… viewing better Spring/Summer. 

The anniversary/honeymooners get together is sweet. We do it every time. It usually is the first day in Borabora with Otemanu as the backdrop. I’ve wondered if they have resumed wrapping the couples up in the Tahitian blanket with flower crowns yet. 

La ora na! Thanks for responding 🙂 I did get the Southern sky chart from Amazon, and came across a resource for downloading the night sky for each month. Also found that there is an astronomy Society for Tahiti, and I plan to write to them and see if they have any viewings from their big telescope. I wonder how steady the ship is trying to see through telescope or astronomy binoculars? Here is some of their beautiful astronomy photos:

https://sattahiti.jimdofree.com/astrophotographie/

Hope we can make the blessing ceremony,  I will probably have a constant stream of happy tears, and will make for terrible pictures, lol 😆  We have an afternoon H2O snorkel set up for the 1st day in Bora Bora, hope it doesn't coincide.

I wanted to thank you Sita!  after doing my research I found your post about leaving money on the table by not going through travel agent, I did my due diligence and wound up with a good amount of onboard credit, and a reasonably priced upgrade 😁  thanks for the inspiration! I love this place, and appreciate every one who shares their knowledge.

• Like 1

Nice to hear, DarkestBlue. 
Highly recommend Borabora motu. I’m always surprised when people have missed it. Used to be the ‘money shot’ on every brochure. There’s a nice pic on the PG website (go to trip enhancements/private beaches then click on Borabora)

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 10:25 PM, sita said:

Nice to hear, DarkestBlue. 
Highly recommend Borabora motu. I’m always surprised when people have missed it. Used to be the ‘money shot’ on every brochure. There’s a nice pic on the PG website (go to trip enhancements/private beaches then click on Borabora)

Thanks, we have an overnight in BB, so plan to spend the other day on the motu 😎 looks beautiful. I love to just lay around on beach vacation, this will be a pretty active vacation, and the motu is part of planned downtime. 

• Like 1