Daily Activity Schedules?

On 5/26/2023 at 11:39 PM, TheDarkestBlue said:

Dress code from the menu board outside one of the restaurants on board last year screen shot from YouTube, sorry for the quality 

FromYouTube.jpg

We will be on the cruise on 26th August with our 8-year-old son.  I have bought him some nice tropical shirts, but was wondering if it would be acceptable for him to wear smart shorts and sandals for dinner in all the restaurants? Or do I need to get him long trousers and smart (closed) shoes especially for the cruise?  I'd like to be able to make use of all the dining facilities without any restrictions.

3 hours ago, mermaid 285 said:

We will be on the cruise on 26th August with our 8-year-old son.  I have bought him some nice tropical shirts, but was wondering if it would be acceptable for him to wear smart shorts and sandals for dinner in all the restaurants? Or do I need to get him long trousers and smart (closed) shoes especially for the cruise?  I'd like to be able to make use of all the dining facilities without any restrictions.

Hummmm .... let's see, does the dress code apply when your 8 or is is 10 ... maybe it's 13 ... no, maybe it was 18  ... doesn't state. Rules are rules ... your asking for an exception but at what age should it apply? The only exception is in Le Grille during the summer and holidays ... if the Head Chef implements the laxed policy. You might want to ask the head waiter ... he can tell you it's OK on his watch. But be prepared to have at least one pair of pants and closed shoes in your bag 😉

• Like 1

I received my paperwork today.  Voucher (which is just a confirmation of the sailing with cabin number), reminder that boarding is between 3pm and 5pm, and the health forms.  If you don't have the health forms in advance they have always provided them to us at the pier.  Nothing else is needed (obviously passport).

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, minidonuts85 said:

On the very informative daily activities link, it didnt show Le Grille open for dinner. Anyone sailed recently and know if Le Grille is open for dinner? Thanks! 

Was open on my last cruise in late April.

However ... the load often is the deciding factor if it is open or not. Small amount of passengers and they mu elect not to open

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Hi 🙂 

Just wanted to say I'll be home in a few days and will post up stuff then 🫡

Looking forward to it! And please be sure to post an actual review. Most of the last several PG reviews on Cruise Critic are dismal, and IMO don't seem to reflect the majority of experiences. One review complained about the food, saying it ruined the cruise for them, and everything tasted like it had been frozen. I'm curious what they were eating, because I know that the PG is renowned for its freshly caught fish, even doing a demonstration of filleting a large fish. Weird.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing about your cruise!

People often only comment when things didn't go perfectly in their opinion. This true generally true in all aspects in life. Often reviews are from people who look at their galls half empty. Yes I'm sure there are times things didn't go perfectly  ... I recall hearing when the ship left drydock that some supplies where not readily available and some items may have been frozen. You can't blame the kitchen for this kind of issue ... it happens when there is a supply issue and your in an area like the south Pacific ... is it the norm? No  ... but it is possible in certain cases, probably happens to many ships from time to time. Heck, you go to the grocery store now days and some things are no longer readily available. 

The PG is known for good food and the kitchen staff and chef are very good. 

I prefer to look at the glass as being half full 😉

Bring on the Crème brûlée 

_DSC1861.jpg

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

People often only comment when things didn't go perfectly in their opinion. This true generally true in all aspects in life. Often reviews are from people who look at their galls half empty. Yes I'm sure there are times things didn't go perfectly  ... I recall hearing when the ship left drydock that some supplies where not readily available and some items may have been frozen. You can't blame the kitchen for this kind of issue ... it happens when there is a supply issue and your in an area like the south Pacific ... is it the norm? No  ... but it is possible in certain cases, probably happens to many ships from time to time. Heck, you go to the grocery store now days and some things are no longer readily available. 

_DSC1861.jpg

Agree completely! I try to be one of those people who writes reviews when things are good too. I've posted countless reviews on TripAdvisor, Yelp and AirBnb, most of which are glowing, a few of which are damning. I know I often rely on reviews to help me make my travel choices, so I want to help others as well. And I try to motivate people I know to write reviews as well.

1 minute ago, Leejnd4 said:

Agree completely! I try to be one of those people who writes reviews when things are good too. I've posted countless reviews on TripAdvisor, Yelp and AirBnb, most of which are glowing, a few of which are damning. I know I often rely on reviews to help me make my travel choices, so I want to help others as well. And I try to motivate people I know to write reviews as well.

Sorry for my big thumbs causing typos ....

Interestingly I was the 'expert' for French Polynesia on Tripadvisor for years ... It was a constant battle with others who gave advise but they had a vested interest ... most, not all were TA's. I finally had enough and left being an 'expert' ... Tripadvisor kept my posts but change the name of who posted ... 

I'm often accused of being a cheerleader for PG because I take groups ... very sad as always tell it straight. As of 2024 U will have visited FP on land and 4 different cruise ships ... not many can say that or have a vantage point to arrive at the advise I give. Would love to say more but as we know I walk a tightrope on keeping within the rules 😉

8 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

_DSC1861.jpg

This was one of my favourites too!

la Orana! 😊 

For your viewing pleasure, Society Islands June 10 - 17, 2023, dailies, room service breakfast menu, and disembarkation papers - we left independently, bookended this at the Hilton Tahiti and rented cars from Avis in downtown Papeete, highly recommend them. I am just back and still jet lagged, but wanted to get this out there. 

On another note, we had a YouTuber named Gary Bembridge, whose channel, Tips for Travelers, present on this cruise. I didn't speak with him or mention that I was a subscriber until the last morning at breakfast to give him his privacy, as I understood this to be his 100th cruise, and was with his SO. I believe he's going to be doing a review of it, saw him taking pictures all over the place. Usually puts his stuff up on Sundays. Fingers crossed I'm not in any of the pictures, LOL!

Had a great time, food was really good and fresh, everybody on board lovely, excellent service all around 🤙🏻

Let me know if this works? I'm still sleepy 😶‍🌫️

PaulGauguinSocietyIslands6-10-23.pdf

Edited by TheDarkestBlue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Working fine for me – using an MacBook.  Thanks for the work involved in making this a single pdf for download, rather than a very long post!  [Don't know how it will work for folks on phones, but I rarely try to use my phone for anything like this...]

2 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

la Orana! 😊 

For your viewing pleasure, Society Islands June 10 - 17, 2023, dailies, room service breakfast menu, and disembarkation papers - we left independently, bookended this at the Hilton Tahiti and rented cars from Avis in downtown Papeete, highly recommend them. I am just back and still jet lagged, but wanted to get this out there. 

On another note, we had a YouTuber named Gary Bembridge, whose channel, Tips for Travelers, present on this cruise. I didn't speak with him or mention that I was a subscriber until the last morning at breakfast to give him his privacy, as I understood this to be his 100th cruise, and was with his SO. I believe he's going to be doing a review of it, saw him taking pictures all over the place. Usually puts his stuff up on Sundays. Fingers crossed I'm not in any of the pictures, LOL!

Had a great time, food was really good and fresh, everybody on board lovely, excellent service all around 🤙🏻

THANK YOU! It worked fine for me. I'm so excited about my upcoming cruise, I'm dying to read ANYTHING about it. 🙂 Are you going to post a full review in the reviews section? (Not to rush you or anything...) 😉 

By the way, I'm a YouTuber as well, although my channel is all about chronicling our life living full-time aboard a sailboat and cruising around Mexico. And I don't have a ton of subscribers. But I do plan on putting together an episode about my PG cruise. I'll post it in the forum when it's published.

53 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

THANK YOU! It worked fine for me. I'm so excited about my upcoming cruise, I'm dying to read ANYTHING about it. 🙂 Are you going to post a full review in the reviews section? (Not to rush you or anything...) 😉 

By the way, I'm a YouTuber as well, although my channel is all about chronicling our life living full-time aboard a sailboat and cruising around Mexico. And I don't have a ton of subscribers. But I do plan on putting together an episode about my PG cruise. I'll post it in the forum when it's published.

Who takes care of Bubba when you head to FP?

4 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

la Orana! 😊 

PaulGauguinSocietyIslands6-10-23.pdf 11.38 MB · 15 downloads

Thanks for posting! So funny, I just watched his upload yesterday and he mentions someone stopped him on last day and said - if you ever see me, don't worry about bothering me, feel free to co tact before last day. 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Who takes care of Bubba when you head to FP?

My husband isn't going on this cruise - he's staying on our boat with Bubba. I'm going with a dear friend of mine. She is mobility-challenged and REALLY wanted to do this cruise again, but she can't do it alone and her husband isn't in good enough health to be able to travel that far. And my hubby doesn't really want to go. So we're doing it as a girls trip! 🙂 

For me, it's also filling in a gap: we had originally planned on sailing there in our own boat. We moved aboard our sailboat late in 2019 and sailed down to Mexico, intending to spend only a year or two there and then cross the Pacific to FP. But then Covid hit, and FP closed to pleasure craft, so we got stuck in Mexico. They've now opened it back up again, and MANY of our cruising friends have already sailed over there. But we missed our window, as we need to head back north to CA by this time next year. That doesn't leave enough time to sail all the way to the South Pacific and make it back to CA within that time frame.

Sailing our own boat to FP was my dream. But that's not going to happen. So...the PG it is! 😁

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 9:15 PM, sjkoen said:

Thanks for posting! So funny, I just watched his upload yesterday and he mentions someone stopped him on last day and said - if you ever see me, don't worry about bothering me, feel free to co tact before last day. 😀

Thanks for mentioning it, I checked it out, and it turns out he was talking about me, lol 😆 I wrote to him. I have to say,  everybody looked like they were having a great time, this was my best vacation ever. 

• Like 1