Current Alaska Sailings

islandchick

Thanks for all the info.  Will be on O for Alaska this year.  Hope internet is better.  Have heard widely different opinions of Skagway train.  Leaning toward doing it.  Looked at their website, seems like train is right near dock.  All other info appreciated, as most ports the same as V.

13 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Thanks for all the info.  Will be on O for Alaska this year.  Hope internet is better.  Have heard widely different opinions of Skagway train.  Leaning toward doing it.  Looked at their website, seems like train is right near dock.  All other info appreciated, as most ports the same as V.

Hi FetaCheese 🙂

I really wanted to take the train in Skagway.  The area without kids and the super comfy chairs looked awesome.  Have you confirmed that your trip is stopping in Skagway?  We are on the 9/7/23 AK cruise and they changed from Skagway to Haines.  I'm bummed. 

6 minutes ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Hi FetaCheese 🙂

I really wanted to take the train in Skagway.  The area without kids and the super comfy chairs looked awesome.  Have you confirmed that your trip is stopping in Skagway?  We are on the 9/7/23 AK cruise and they changed from Skagway to Haines.  I'm bummed. 

Thanks, just checked itin.  We are on Oceania.  Skagway still listed under shorex.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

8 minutes ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Hi FetaCheese 🙂

I checked on getting to Skagway from Haines in order to take the train.  The only way apparently is by ferry.  Timing just doesn't work out.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Thanks, just checked itin.  We are on Oceania.  Skagway still listed under shorex.

Ah...Oops.  I thought I was in another forum.  hahaha...sorry.  And congrats.  I will sit over here and be jeally while I read about your awesome train ride. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CAFs said:

I checked on getting to Skagway from Haines in order to take the train.  The only way apparently is by ferry.  Timing just doesn't work out.  

Yup.  We were not going to risk it.  So we will find something things to do in Haines.  It has been touted as not touristy so that could be cool. 

2 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Everything is close at hand in Skagway, including many traps. Don't get too close to the door of any jewelry store lest you be dragged in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

Yup.  We were not going to risk it.  So we will find something things to do in Haines.  It has been touted as not touristy so that could be cool. 

Haines is indeed much less touristy than Skagway. If you want to amuse yourself, put out your thumb in H and try to get a ride all the way to Anchorage -- 750 miles away. This worked for me in December 1981. The temperature along the way dropped to minus 35 degrees F -- perfect weather!

• Haha 2

The ferry from Haines to Skagway is fairly a fairly fast power catamaran type and takes about, if memory serves, 45 minutes each way.  Skagway has the aforementioned train but also is a center for helicopter rides to the glaciers and dog sledding.  The jewelry stores are a smaller version of St. Thomas.  I swear I saw some of the same guys out front hustling tourists.  The Red Onion Bordello can be fun and the beer is good.  From Haines we have taken a whale watching tour.  Not a pretty town but has some basic services if you need stuff.  Beautiful vistas abound no matter what you decide to do. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

For those of you that have sailed out of Seward, what is the earliest we can leave the ship on day 2?  We found an excursion from a reputable 3rd party vendor but it starts at 830am.  I think we would need to be off the ship by 8am at the very latest. 

https://sewardoceanexcursions.com

We overnight in Seward, so you can leave the ship as early as you want on Day 2.

• Like 1

I thought I read somewhere that heavy coat is provided for dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier excursion, but can't find it now. My husband would prefer not to pack his own. Can anyone confirm?

15 hours ago, tullbja said:

I thought I read somewhere that heavy coat is provided for dog sledding on Mendenhall Glacier excursion, but can't find it now. My husband would prefer not to pack his own. Can anyone confirm?

I would suggest packing it anyway. Even on your balcony or on deck you may need it if it is windy. I have taken a dogsledding tour but it was approx 10 years ago in Juneau but they did not provide anything but shoe covers, things may be different now. 

Edited by islandchick
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 6:38 PM, islandchick said:

We will be sailing July 9th and would really appreciate any info on the current Alaska cruise from anyone on it. Would love to hear your opinions and any daily info including menus. 

Bumping this as I would still like to hear more info and opinions. 

• Like 2

For those that have sailed this year, do the Orion dock close to the main town in Valdez or are we at the dock that is further away and requires a shuttle bus?  We are hoping to be close enough to walk to and from the ship during the day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cmmaxwell03 said:

For those that have sailed this year, do the Orion dock close to the main town in Valdez or are we at the dock that is further away and requires a shuttle bus?  We are hoping to be close enough to walk to and from the ship during the day.

We were there in May on another line and were scheduled for the town dock but got moved to the new dock which necessitated a shuttle bus ride.  The cause was the arrival of one of the large supply barges.  Barges are subject to many delays in that part of the world and show up when they show up.  Usually welcome sights to the locals as most heavy, basic needs for just about everyone in town arrive on those barges.  Don't expect a whole lot in Valdez but the surrounding mountains are spectacular.

• Thanks 1

Jumping in with a suggestion for Seward which is to rent a car.  Yes the Exit glacier is very accessible.  There is also a wildlife viewing area at Bear Creek Wier a few miles out of town.  There are literally thousands of salmon swimming upstream. Also if you want to venture further, Gwins roadhouse in Coopers Landing is worth the scenic drive along the Kenai river. It is worth the drive just for a bowl of their chowder. This is a very do able day trip. 

• Like 3

Anyone who has recently been on Orion, can you tell me what chefs table menus they have been using ? Also, any particular days where they have had special meal (seafood buffet, etc) or lobster nights? Trying to figure out our dining schedule so any info is helpful. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, islandchick said:

Anyone who has recently been on Orion, can you tell me what chefs table menus they have been using ? Also, any particular days where they have had special meal (seafood buffet, etc) or lobster nights? Trying to figure out our dining schedule so any info is helpful. 

Sorry, I can't help - but would love to hear your comments after your trip - we are doing this in August and I just found the forum. Hopefully someone will respond, so we both will have more information. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2023 at 2:17 PM, cmmaxwell03 said:

We just booked a tour on our own that picks us up at the dock - they said Viking was at Kelsey Dock. I sent a message to them to ask about how we got back if we decided to stay in town after the tour - but haven't heard back. We wanted to go to the Solomon Gulch Hatchery and this tour goes to it along with other sights.

• Like 1