Booked cruise then applied for status match

FLchick3

Hi,

Is there any chance MSC will apply my 5% discount without the TA contacting them? After reading on this forum that MSC can often mess up a reservation if any changes take place, I’m a little concerned about trying to apply the 5% discount.

I applied for status match after booking my cruise and the discount was not applied by MSC. I had booked directly with them online. I wouldn't expect MSC to proactively give you a discount. They're shoreside systems are a hot mess.

I wasn't really paying attention to be honest, so I never reached out to them to try and get it applied after the booking. 

I've later added a VC number to a booking and received the appropriate discount. In my case, the website was being wonky and wouldn't let me add my number. It was a simple phone call and I received the new confirmation pdf reflecting the discount within minutes.

I booked online direct with MSC and then later found out about VC status match.

Got approved for an upgrade to Silver using my IHG status.

Never saw a discount but my additional purchases (internet & laundry) are showing a discount.

Showing 2200 points and I haven't even sailed yet.

Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 7.01.38 AM.png

Edited by 4sallypat

8 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The discount wouldn't always get applied automatically. Did you call after getting a VC number/status?

MSC phone lines are awful - could not wait with the hold times...

Will ask on board...

Thanks everyone. I’m currently waiting for the approval email.  Once I get that I’ll probably let the TA contact them. Fingers crossed that they apply my Voyager club number and that there are no hiccups.

• Like 1

So we booked a week ago, after final payment was due.  Now I'm finding out I can status match for a 5% discount.  It looks like we would only be silver. Is it worth it, will they actually give me the 5%?  I don't care if it's in the form of OBC, we wouldn't have any trouble spending it.  lol 

Edited to add:  I went ahead and applied.  How long does it take?

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

Hi Tami, the comments I'm seeing are all over the place. For many people it took two weeks, but some people got a response in two days! And some people were told their information was incomplete, they submitted the exact same information again and it was accepted. This all sounds like typical MSC 🙂

8 minutes ago, FLchick3 said:

Hi Tami, the comments I'm seeing are all over the place. For many people it took two weeks, but some people got a response in two days! And some people were told their information was incomplete, they submitted the exact same information again and it was accepted. This all sounds like typical MSC 🙂

Why am I not surprised?

• Haha 1

I booked my cruise, then read about the status match.  I completed the appropriate paperwork online, got silver status about a week later (due to my points w/RCL) and then called MSC.  Right then, I was emailed the 5% discount for my final bill.  I think the $150 discount was well worth it!!  😁

• Thanks 1

I booked my cruise for September in late April and did the status match last week (took less than 24 hours to get a response). I called today and they gave me the 5% off and I have my conformation, fairly easy process!

I received my status match today. So it took about 24 hours. The email I received said I would receive another email with more details. I'm going to wait a couple of days and then let my TA contact them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2023 at 11:39 AM, fluffybunny22 said:

If you call right when they open there's not really a long hold time.

You were 100% correct - called when they opened and got an MSC rep immediately.

Got 5% cruise credit applied to my OBC.

Thank you.

IMG_8162.jpg

• Like 3

We got confirm the next day, to Gold status.

Notified our TA, then he informed us:

"$50 of onboard credit per person will be applied to the account once you board the ship.

But it turns out you save more money on the Military discount! 

This is because your Voyager's Club membership would get you a 5% discount off the total + another 5% discount of the price, rather than just a full 10% discount that the Military discount gets you for booking a Balcony cabin or above. The difference was something like $6 I believe.

Rest assured you got the best price available!"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all. We booked in April for a March 2024 cruise. After booking and paying deposit joined Voyagers club. Learned about status match and applied using Gold status from another cruise line, and within a day was matched to MSC silver. Was a little disappointed with silver because I could have also tried Hilton gold status and maybe got MSC gold as well, but…oh well!! Called TA and she called MSC. Got the 5%+5% applied right away without any trouble 😃

• Like 1