Anyone strongly discouraged from going to medical for Covid symptoms?

Hi all,

My partner and I had a challenging and difficult experience on the Encore. Let me start by saying, we love cruising - just became platinum on ncl.  Alaska was an absolute bucket item list for my partner! On vacation, we tend to be very go with the flow and rarely find anything to complain about. We spent the first half of our 27 year relationship being too poor to travel, so we appreciate and have gratitude for the ability to go on a cruise.

For the last 3 years, we have miraculously avoided Covid to come down with it on the first full day of our cruise.  It was Monday night - we were both pretty shocked, up until then we had felt good, having spent a great weekend in Seattle.  We had brought an at home test and tested in the cabin. My partner was positive instantly, mine was negative.  The next morning, I called medical and was first told to call back as they were in a meeting. The timing may be off, we were both feverish and sick, but I called back hours later and was told they couldn’t see us as they had a critical case.  Totally understood, no problem, asked them to call us back when they were available.  The nurse then started asking questions, I explained our situation and our understanding of the need to quarantine, and wanted to get seen to potentially get Paxlovid.  She cut me off and said,   “Mam, things are back to normal” you don’t need to tell us if you have Covid”  she then stated we would need “full diagnostic evaluations and quoted us at 6,000 dollars each.  She stated many of these tests were  maritime law and that we couldn’t just get a Covid test.  We were both feverish and frightened.  Despite being middle aged adults, being sick with what has felt like a terrible flu in the middle of the ocean is scary! We had purchased the NCL insurance, but worried that our medical expenses might not be covered and on top of the losses for our trip, we would also be out 12,000.00  I have seen what medical debt can do! Looking back, it seems that NCL did not want any documented Covid cases on the cruise and this was effective in keeping us away.  Of course, with a clearer head now, I wish we had gone to medical.  We tried our best to be responsible and only left the cabin to get food ( masked in N95) to bring back to our room or ordered room service.  We never got off the ship and tried hard to follow CDC guidelines.  We asked our room steward not to clean our room to avoid making him sick.  He told us he would tell someone in guest services.  I tried to call someone in guest services but only was transferred to medical. 

I am writing this wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with medical. I am very doubtful of getting any compensation, but will try and share our story with NCl if anyone thinks that would help.  It is probably cathartic writing this and perhaps, it will help someone else.  For the record, we are vaccinated and boosted and glad for it!  

• Like 1

I personally wouldn’t have told anyone.   Would have stayed in my room.  Ordered room service left at the door and hung out on my balcony and enjoyed the view.   
fully vaxed and booster   I just did 30 days at sea and had 10 tests with me just incase.    Felt a little weird one or 2 days.   Tested and nothing.  

I got covid in Laughlin Nv at a concert.   Nothing more than a soar throat.  No need for any special meds.   And I have COPD.   
but that’s me.   And I have good travel ins.   

• Like 2

Mostly just looking for other’s experiences. Also folks should know that people are being told that everything is back to normal and that when one discloses Covid, there is nothing done to prevent spread.  No one wants to go back to early pandemic days, but I would expect them to treat it the way they do norovirus. 

• Like 2

My whole family got sick with covid the first year, just before the vaccines came out.  2 of my 3 kids had a mild fever, and all of us had mild cold symptoms.  My husband was tested for covid through work, and his positive test came back on Christmas Day.  I called the pediatrician and explained my kids really only had very minor cold symptoms at that point (the fever was gone) and I'd never bring them in for this level of symptoms if it wasn't covid, so I really didn't want to risk exposing the medical staff on Christmas if I didn't have to when my kids weren't really sick.  The doctor explained there was nothing they could do to treat a mild covid case and that if the kids got any sicker to call them back and they would bring us in immediately.  Thankfully, everyone got better and we never needed the doctor.

It's possible medical is trying to cut down on the number of reported cases by discouraging visits.  But its also possible that they were telling you the truth and that medical is required by the ship's insurance to run $6,000 worth of tests on every patient who might have covid, and that if they don't stock Paxlovid they'll run all those tests and then have to tell those patients there's nothing they can do for them, and they should just go into quarantine and call medical if things get worse.

Unfortunately, we have a situation in which many passengers consider it to be in their best interest to hide a mild covid case so they can still do excursions and avoid quarantine, and the ships don't have an incentive to find the cases so I think at this point passengers should assuming sailing is a covid risk, travel with Paxlovid if they would take it if they test positive and avoid cruising if they are high risk for a severe covid case.

I hope you are feeling better and am very sorry you lost your Alaskan cruise - I know that 's a really special one.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 4

If positive of covid while on a cruise, I would certainly not feel the need to contact the medical center on board if all I have are regular flu symptoms (as I would not feel the need to contact my regular doctor at home if getting flu symptoms). I would remain in my cabin for a few days to relax and get better, and when "out and about" if needed, be wearing a facemask (I always bring a few with me just to be on the safe side) and try to keep distance to people the best I can. After all, in 2023 covid is a flu - and most people have had their multiple vaccinations to avoid serious complications because of it (my self included). And if they haven't, well - that is simply not my responsability. 

• Like 10

Cruise lines dropped pre cruise testing  and mid cruise testing as soon as they could, over a year now.

The last thing they wanted was people owning up to being positive it caused loads of work, quarantine, contact tracing etc.

last year the TAs to Europe/UK did no testing and many had dropped most mitigation but all the US pax needed tests to go home, 100s testing positive to go into isolation, for UK TA that was Heathrow hotels shuffled of the ships ASAP.

Many then reintroduced masking for the following cruises.

Now a year later people have dropped testing even if they feel a bit off.

Most have never done diagnostic tests for respiratory symptoms until covid came along.

No real need to test unless seeking medical intervention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, insearchofsun said:

I am very doubtful of getting any compensation, but will try and share our story with NCl if anyone thinks that would help. 

Compensation for what? I don't know what you're expecting NCL to do. The worst days of Covid are (hopefully) behind us and the crazy protocols that were in place a few years ago are no longer required for the good of public health.

• Like 1

I do understand why you are confused at the medical response to your call. It’s hard to keep up with how cruise lines are dealing with COVID. At one time NCL had a quarantine deck where they moved infected people.All of that has changed. Very recently I know people were able to get Paxlovid but evidently that has changed too.hopefully someone who has gone to medical recently with COVID will tell you what happened to them. Some people feel it’s just the flu and for most of us who have been vaccinated it’s pretty mild. However I do understand how scary this had to be for you. I was scared with my first bout of COVID.hopefully you’ll be able to find an inexpensive last minute replacement vacation and have a re-do of your trip.

I don’t see anything wrong with what you were told. It sounds like you both had a relatively mild case - symptom onset was absolutely horrible horrible timing, though you most likely “got Covid” before ever boarding - and did the responsible thing by self-quarantining. There’s really nothing NCL could have done for you more than you already did for yourself and they were completely transparent regarding the costs so they were trying to do the right thing by you in that sense. 

If you really felt you needed to go to medical, you still could have. And you would have been triaged, waited forever then and billed heavily same as if you had an ER visit on land. 

• Like 2

Things are changing. My husband passed away about 6 months ago. Found out the night of the memorial that my BIL tested positive for covid, my sister had been battling a low grade cold for a few days and at that time we realized that she also probably had covid and had been around all of us for several days. (she has always been extremely careful and had similar symptoms twice already this winter and tests had always come back negative, so she didn't test this time). I panicked and contacted those who had gathered at the house since they would have had the most prolonged contact. What I found was that those who had been vaccinated were not concerned, and that the one person I was most worried about - over 50, diabetes, overweight - was not vaccinated and he wasn't concerned either. Had done his research and had made the choice not to get the shot and was comfortable with his choice. This experience was enlightening to me. Everyone has to make their own choice and what I feel is right isn't necessarily what another chooses.

All we can do is take care of ourselves, make good choices and do our best not to expose others. I think you did the right thing self-isolating, but there are others that probably wouldn't have done that. Anytime we gather in groups we take a chance.

• Like 9

Let's be honest.  The decision of cruise lines to drop vaccination and masking requirements was not based on public health.  It's all about losing passenger revenue and placating the anti-vaxxers.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

Let’s all be honest….The fact you brought N95 masks on a cruise, home COVID test and we’re testing on the first day let’s us know all we need to know.

I think the vast majority of civilization doesn’t care anymore. 

Looking at your situation, the lady was probably trying to make you well aware it’s 6k for her to see you. They obviously have to make that explicitly clear before you just come down and then get the shocked bill.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, quack2 said:

Let's be honest.  The decision of cruise lines to drop vaccination and masking requirements was not based on public health.  It's all about losing passenger revenue and placating the anti-vaxxers.

No. There is no longer an emergency in the USA. I'm a vaxxer, not that, that should matter. Three here. Should be more, but I don't care anymore. I've had COVID. Some don't want to admit it, but this is normal now. You get COVID. You get the flu. It is what it is. People aren't dropping everything just because they have COVID.

Cruise lines are doing what all other place have done, including schools, healthcare providers, and others. The only part of the pandemic I want back is the lockdown so I don't have to interact with people/am able to work remotely. Otherwise, whatever.

Personally, I'd prefer people take personal responsibility now like the OP did. If they get sick. Do the smart thing. Stay home (or in a stateroom). Limit possible exposure to others , because that's what anyone who is sick (with any communicable disease) should do.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

No. There is no longer an emergency in the USA. I'm a vaxxer, not that, that should matter. Three here. Should be more, but I don't care anymore. I've had COVID. Some don't want to admit it, but this is normal now. You get COVID. You get the flu. It is what it is. People aren't dropping everything just because they have COVID.

Cruise lines are doing what all other place have done, including schools, healthcare providers, and others. The only part of the pandemic I want back is the lockdown so I don't have to interact with people/am able to work remotely. Otherwise, whatever.

Personally, I'd prefer people take personal responsibility now like the OP did. If they get sick. Do the smart thing. Stay home (or in a stateroom). Limit possible exposure to others , because that's what anyone who is sick (with any communicable disease) should do.

I agree.  Its become a "don't ask and don't tell" policy for most of those workplace/schools/businesses.  

• Like 2

I don't even know if the ships offer paxlovid.  That would be the question. It's really mask for the first 5 days or until symptoms improve.  Paxlovid for those at high risk, or remdesivir (which is IV). If you check your cruise insurance, surely it addresses covid.  Mine will not compensate anything for covid at this point in the pandemic.  So check your insurance carrier. 

I managed to avoid covid for ages and did so through 2 cruises and long haul flights. I eventually caught it in October last year at home just 2 weeks before I was eligible for a second booster. I’m mildly asthmatic and it’s usually triggered by respiratory viruses. As it was a bank holiday weekend I couldn’t talk to my doctor until 4 days into it, he wound up just prescribing me steroid tablets along with upping my inhaler usage. It was pure misery for the first few days and completely wiped me out for about 2 weeks, if I’d been on a ship I’d never have left my cabin.  I probably would have shaken it off without the tablets but would have been an even longer recovery. I am eligible for a booster again now but I’m putting it off a while until it will give me added protection before my next cruise.

• Like 1

To the OP, the contact person in the medical facility was merely explaining to you what all they could, could not, and MUSt do (and the cost involved) if you elect to go see them   If that scared you into any particular decision, that is 100% on you.  You were merely given honest facts about the situation.  No one tried to make you select any particular option for how to proceed.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, insearchofsun said:

Hi all,

My partner and I had a challenging and difficult experience on the Encore. Let me start by saying, we love cruising - just became platinum on ncl.  Alaska was an absolute bucket item list for my partner! On vacation, we tend to be very go with the flow and rarely find anything to complain about. We spent the first half of our 27 year relationship being too poor to travel, so we appreciate and have gratitude for the ability to go on a cruise.

For the last 3 years, we have miraculously avoided Covid to come down with it on the first full day of our cruise.  It was Monday night - we were both pretty shocked, up until then we had felt good, having spent a great weekend in Seattle.  We had brought an at home test and tested in the cabin. My partner was positive instantly, mine was negative.  The next morning, I called medical and was first told to call back as they were in a meeting. The timing may be off, we were both feverish and sick, but I called back hours later and was told they couldn’t see us as they had a critical case.  Totally understood, no problem, asked them to call us back when they were available.  The nurse then started asking questions, I explained our situation and our understanding of the need to quarantine, and wanted to get seen to potentially get Paxlovid.  She cut me off and said,   “Mam, things are back to normal” you don’t need to tell us if you have Covid”  she then stated we would need “full diagnostic evaluations and quoted us at 6,000 dollars each.  She stated many of these tests were  maritime law and that we couldn’t just get a Covid test.  We were both feverish and frightened.  Despite being middle aged adults, being sick with what has felt like a terrible flu in the middle of the ocean is scary! We had purchased the NCL insurance, but worried that our medical expenses might not be covered and on top of the losses for our trip, we would also be out 12,000.00  I have seen what medical debt can do! Looking back, it seems that NCL did not want any documented Covid cases on the cruise and this was effective in keeping us away.  Of course, with a clearer head now, I wish we had gone to medical.  We tried our best to be responsible and only left the cabin to get food ( masked in N95) to bring back to our room or ordered room service.  We never got off the ship and tried hard to follow CDC guidelines.  We asked our room steward not to clean our room to avoid making him sick.  He told us he would tell someone in guest services.  I tried to call someone in guest services but only was transferred to medical. 

I am writing this wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with medical. I am very doubtful of getting any compensation, but will try and share our story with NCl if anyone thinks that would help.  It is probably cathartic writing this and perhaps, it will help someone else.  For the record, we are vaccinated and boosted and glad for it!  

I too had avoided Covid for three years and came down with it the third day of our recent Gem TA. 
Was feeling off second day and woke up the next day with a fever of 101 feeling pretty bad. 

Concierge called medical center for us and they wanted to see both me and my wife. I tested positive and she was negative. I was prescribed Paxlovid and my wife took it prophylactically as a preventative measure. I was required to isolate in the cabin for five days and she had to wear a mask outside the cabin. Was released from isolation after five days and a negative test. It was quite the procession to get me back to the cabin from the medical center.  Returned as far as possible through the crew are with security clearing the way flowed by nurse, then me then somebody fogging behind me. I found out after the fact that my key card had been flagged in case I tried to go anywhere or leave the ship.

The medical center fee for evaluation, antigen test, PCR test, Paxlovid and follow up antigen test was $1,318.00 dollars. Her bill was $1,223.00. So far my personal insurance is covering $245.00 each ( cost of the tests) and the rest is pending with AON trip insurance. Should have their answer on coverage of the balance in a couple weeks.

The only issue I had with the medical center was that they took no vitals (BP, pulse ox, temp, etc.) but when I went back to the medical center a few days later to pick up the final paperwork, it magically had vital signs filled in.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, quack2 said:

Seriously?  At least you're living up to your screen name.  SMDH

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GrapevineTx_Cruiser said:

Returned as far as possible through the crew are with security clearing the way flowed by nurse, then me then somebody fogging behind me. I found out after the fact that my key card had been flagged in case I tried to go anywhere or leave the ship.

Good grief.  How "recent" was this?

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Good grief.  How "recent" was this?

The Apr. 15-30, 2023 NY to Civitavecchia TA crossing. 

We asked if there were many cases, and of course they couldn’t or wouldn’t say. When we were in the medical center there was one other couple with the same situation. He was positive, she was negative.

9 minutes ago, GrapevineTx_Cruiser said:

The Apr. 15-30, 2023 NY to Civitavecchia TA crossing. 

We asked if there were many cases, and of course they couldn’t or wouldn’t say. When we were in the medical center there was one other couple with the same situation. He was positive, she was negative.

Thanks.  Wow.  Would you do the same again or just self-isolate and try your best to enjoy your cruise?  That security procession, complete with fogging, borders on insulting.

• Like 2