Princess Plus for only one passenger in a cabin

Russ Lomas

We have 2 children travelling with us who will be 15, so they are not permitted to be booked under Princess' rules in their own cabin (I know switching can go on once aboard).  We wanted the Princess Plus package for the two adults, but not the 2 children.  Princess says both people in the cabin (or all 4 in our case - 2 cabins with 1 adult and 1 child registered in each) must take the package.  People in this Forum said that you could call in and get the Plus package added to just the 2 adults in different cabins.

I took their advice and did this with no issues at all.  My in laws have the same situation and called in to do the same.  They tried 2 different agents and 2 supervisors and said it is not possible.  I have my invoices, so I know it is possible.  Do they just keep calling til they get an agent who says OK and does it?

3 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

We have 2 children travelling with us who will be 15, so they are not permitted to be booked under Princess' rules in their own cabin (I know switching can go on once aboard).  We wanted the Princess Plus package for the two adults, but not the 2 children.  Princess says both people in the cabin (or all 4 in our case - 2 cabins with 1 adult and 1 child registered in each) must take the package.  People in this Forum said that you could call in and get the Plus package added to just the 2 adults in different cabins.

I took their advice and did this with no issues at all.  My in laws have the same situation and called in to do the same.  They tried 2 different agents and 2 supervisors and said it is not possible.  I have my invoices, so I know it is possible.  Do they just keep calling til they get an agent who says OK and does it?

Do they have a TA or CVP who could do that for them?

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Do they have a TA or CVP who could do that for them?

I called in to Princess and got it done myself, received the new invoices, then transferred our reservation to our travel agent (he was away on vacation when I booked this cruise).

The other family did the exact same thing.  They were told by the 2nd Princess agent it was taken care of.  They then transferred the booking to the TA.  When they got confirmation yesterday of the transfer, all 4 of them now were registered for Princess Plus (not what they asked for).  The TA called Princess and spoke to 2 supervisors, who both said it was not possible.  Not sure why not, because I did it myself with no issues at all.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I called in to Princess and got it done myself, received the new invoices, then transferred our reservation to our travel agent (he was away on vacation when I booked this cruise).

The other family did the exact same thing.  They were told by the 2nd Princess agent it was taken care of.  They then transferred the booking to the TA.  When they got confirmation yesterday of the transfer, all 4 of them now were registered for Princess Plus (not what they asked for).  The TA called Princess and spoke to 2 supervisors, who both said it was not possible.  Not sure why not, because I did it myself with no issues at all.

I wonder if the agent who did it for you, did it correctly?

Someone out there should be able to advise.

Could they just charge one cabin the beverage package and once OB, advise

guest services, who the adults are and apply the alcohol to those 2 adults?  Maybe the TA could ask PCL if that’s possible?  After all, minors can’t drink and they are still getting 2 beverage packages.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

The stand alone Plus Beverage Package can be purchased by individual passengers but the Princess Plus Fare, which includes gratuities, internet, and the Plus Beverage package, isn’t available to just one of the people in a cabin. The first two passengers in the cabin both have to book with the same fare. Children booked with the Plus fare get the non-alcoholic beverage package along with internet and gratuities included.

Did you and your in-laws book with the Princess Plus fare or purchase just a Plus beverage package? It’s confusing because the nearly identical names.

Edited by Torfamm

2 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

The stand alone Plus Beverage Package can be purchased by individual passengers but the Princess Plus Fare, which includes gratuities, internet, and the Plus Beverage package, isn’t available to just one of the people in a cabin. The first two passengers in the cabin both have to book with the same fare. Children booked with the Plus fare get the non-alcoholic beverage package along with internet and gratuities included.

Did you and your in-laws book with the Princess Plus fare or purchase just a Plus beverage package? It’s confusing because the nearly identical names.

We booked Princess Plus, not just the beverage package.  Had no issues on my 2 reservations, adding it to the adults only and not the kids (1 in each cabin), as others on this forum told me previously they had successfully done as well.

The in laws tried the exact same thing with a different agent and were denied.

The problem will get solved because the in laws will be able to move their 16-year-old boys into one cabin (it was originally booked with 1 adult and 1 child in each cabin because the agent said two 16-year-olds could not be in their own cabin, which according to the Princess website, it is not true).

8 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We booked Princess Plus, not just the beverage package.  Had no issues on my 2 reservations, adding it to the adults only and not the kids (1 in each cabin), as others on this forum told me previously they had successfully done as well.

The problem will get solved because the in laws will be able to move their 16-year-old boys into one cabin (it was originally booked with 1 adult and 1 child in each cabin because the agent said two 16-year-olds could not be in their own cabin, which according to the Princess website, it is not true).

Let us know how they finally resolve this. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

You could take the "don't sweat it approach".  Princess now allows guests to purchase the Plus or Premier cruise fare package upon boarding. Do it on embarkation and it is charged to onboard account.  It is a good way to use up OBC and if you have any trip insurance that charges premium based on your trip cost, you will save on that as well since the Plus cost is not considered in the picture until you are actually on board.  So, the parents and teens can be aligned in their proper cabins and then just order the package in the adult cabin.  You also have the option to book the "No Alcohol" beverage package for the teens.

Another tip would be to upgrade one parent's MedallionNet to a 4-device plan and then share with the teens.  All teens need to pay is the $16 Crew Appreciation and then you can decide if a la carte non-alcohol drinks is better than paying $30/pp/day for the non-alcohol package.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You could take the "don't sweat it approach".  Princess now allows guests to purchase the Plus or Premier cruise fare package upon boarding. Do it on embarkation and it is charged to onboard account.  It is a good way to use up OBC and if you have any trip insurance that charges premium based on your trip cost, you will save on that as well since the Plus cost is not considered in the picture until you are actually on board.  So, the parents and teens can be aligned in their proper cabins and then just order the package in the adult cabin.  You also have the option to book the "No Alcohol" beverage package for the teens.

Another tip would be to upgrade one parent's MedallionNet to a 4-device plan and then share with the teens.  All teens need to pay is the $16 Crew Appreciation and then you can decide if a la carte non-alcohol drinks is better than paying $30/pp/day for the non-alcohol package.

Thanks for the detailed comments.  I had heard that you were able to add the Plus once aboard the ship, but in this case, people felt best to add it now in case policies or prices changed.  We thought it is a great idea to use the OBC to cover the package, but we will just use the OBC to pay the kids' gratuities, thus leaving us with a bill of only a few dollars.

As for the MedallionNet upgrade, we do not cruise to sit around on a device all day long.  We plan to just share access with the kids whenever they would like it, but we paid for them to enjoy the cruise.  If they just want to go on the internet, they could do that from home.  I am assuming Princess is similar to RCCL where you get a code and you can log in and get internet access from multiple devices, as long as only one of them is on at a time, or it boots off the other device?

4 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Thanks for the detailed comments.  I had heard that you were able to add the Plus once aboard the ship, but in this case, people felt best to add it now in case policies or prices changed.  We thought it is a great idea to use the OBC to cover the package, but we will just use the OBC to pay the kids' gratuities, thus leaving us with a bill of only a few dollars.

As for the MedallionNet upgrade, we do not cruise to sit around on a device all day long.  We plan to just share access with the kids whenever they would like it, but we paid for them to enjoy the cruise.  If they just want to go on the internet, they could do that from home.  I am assuming Princess is similar to RCCL where you get a code and you can log in and get internet access from multiple devices, as long as only one of them is on at a time, or it boots off the other device?

Okay, so you ought to be able to swing it in advance as well.  

As for internet package, you can share the credentials with anyone else.  When a new device attempts to connect, the user is notified if another device is already connected and if to proceed to disconnect it.  Credentials are cabin number and birthdate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Okay, so you ought to be able to swing it in advance as well.  

As for internet package, you can share the credentials with anyone else.  When a new device attempts to connect, the user is notified if another device is already connected and if to proceed to disconnect it.  Credentials are cabin number and birthdate.

Of the person who purchased the Internet package.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2023 at 7:26 AM, PacnGoNow said:

Let us know how they finally resolve this. 

RESOLVED.  After the other family was denied, then the travel agent denied, then the travel agent denied by 2 supervisors, the travel agent called again with the intent of showing our reservations and how it was done for us.  From what I was told by my in laws, the Princess agent said no problem and removed the Plus from the 2 kids (1 staying in each room).  Not sure why there is no consistency, but at least it is finally resolved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

RESOLVED.  After the other family was denied, then the travel agent denied, then the travel agent denied by 2 supervisors, the travel agent called again with the intent of showing our reservations and how it was done for us.  From what I was told by my in laws, the Princess agent said no problem and removed the Plus from the 2 kids (1 staying in each room).  Not sure why there is no consistency, but at least it is finally resolved.

Wow.  Thank you tor the feedback.  So, it still sounds like a lack of training.

Glad that’s done. Have a great cruise.

• Like 1