Celebrity excursion Civitavecchia to Rome on your own

Chris_FL

Has anyone joined the Independent Exploration: Shuttle and Express Train to City.  It says its a 10 hour excursion, but only 5.5 hours in the city.  Do you know what time it arrives/leaves Rome?  Train is only 1 hour and shuttle busses take 10 minutes from port to train.   We have tickets to the Vatican Guided tour which is 2 hours and ends at 3.  Would we have time to do the Colesseum in the morning?

I would say about 2 hours to do a full tour of the Colesseum. Are you planning to go walk the Forum too? That will take more time.

I tried to look up that excursion to see if I could tell when it leaves, and the Celebrity site kept telling me I had no internet access.

• Like 1

Hi Chris

We did this tour yesterday. You’re right about the actual journey duration, but there’s a bit of dwell time at the dock while you wait for everyone to board the coach, so we departed at around 8.30am. Then around 10 minutes shuttle to the station, more waiting around to board the train which was scheduled to leave at 9.07 but was 10 minutes delayed. So we eventually arrived in Rome St Pietro station around 10am. Then a walk to Vatican City before we were left to our own devices. We had to be back at the station by 4.20pm, so we did have around 6 hours on our own. 
we walked to the Colosseum (long walk!!) but were there by 12. You could also get a taxi. 

There were very long lines to get in to the Vatican so I don’t think you’d be able to do the Vatican in the morning and then the Colosseum in the afternoon. 

In the end (after our very long walk) we got back to the station around 3pm and bought a ticket for an earlier train (we had the tour guide’s number so we could let her know we were leaving the tour). 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeroliGirl said:

Hi Chris

We did this tour yesterday. You’re right about the actual journey duration, but there’s a bit of dwell time at the dock while you wait for everyone to board the coach, so we departed at around 8.30am. Then around 10 minutes shuttle to the station, more waiting around to board the train which was scheduled to leave at 9.07 but was 10 minutes delayed. So we eventually arrived in Rome St Pietro station around 10am. Then a walk to Vatican City before we were left to our own devices. We had to be back at the station by 4.20pm, so we did have around 6 hours on our own. 
we walked to the Colosseum (long walk!!) but were there by 12. You could also get a taxi. 

There were very long lines to get in to the Vatican so I don’t think you’d be able to do the Vatican in the morning and then the Colosseum in the afternoon. 

In the end (after our very long walk) we got back to the station around 3pm and bought a ticket for an earlier train (we had the tour guide’s number so we could let her know we were leaving the tour). 

2 hours ago, NeroliGirl said:

Hi Chris

Thank you for your info.  Very helpful.  How did you get back to the port when you arrived back in Civitavecchia?  Any problems finding a taxi in Rome?

When we got back to Civi there were plentiful taxis at the station (there was an MSC cruise embarking that day so lots of passengers with lots of luggage!). There is also the port shuttle bus which we took - €6 pp one way (cash only though). Very easy 

Taxis in Rome also seemed plentiful, but you can only get one from dedicated taxi stops - you can’t just hail one in the street. But we saw several taxi ranks during our walk - they are at all the usual locations of interest. 

We’ll be back in Civi in September (on the Silhouette) and we’re planning to do this trip again on our own, the trains are quite easy to navigate, and only €4.60 one way, so it will work out cheaper (albeit with the small risk that if the trains get messed up we are on our own!)

When we were in Rome, we got around using the metro.  The metro runs trains every 5-7 minutes.  To get from the Vatican to the Colosseum, it will take about 15 minutes.  Buy metro tickets inside the metro station or at a newsstand or corner shop.  A one way ticket costs less than 2 euros.  Walk to the Ottaviano metro stop, take Red A line (direction Anagnina) 6 stops to the Termini.  Change to the Blue B line (direction Laurentina) two stops to Colosseo.  Although we felt safe on the metro, hold on to your belongings, as Rome, like most large cities, has its share of pickpockets.

We took the train from Civi to Rome and got off at the closest station to the Vatican. Check the schedule to see if it works for you.  The do it yourself will save a ton of money. Take a tour if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself.

If you are doing this "tour" you could book "skip the line" tickets for both the Colosseum and Vatican.

If taking a taxi, be very sure of the denomination of the currency you hand over - some drivers are quite adept at palming a smaller note and saying "you only gave me . . . "

Fortunately I had been warned about this in advance and when the driver became threatening I told him he could call the police - he left with what I gave him - the correct amount plus tip he did not deserve due to his extortion attempt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

If you are doing this "tour" you could book "skip the line" tickets for both the Colosseum and Vatican.

If taking a taxi, be very sure of the denomination of the currency you hand over - some drivers are quite adept at palming a smaller note and saying "you only gave me . . . "

Fortunately I had been warned about this in advance and when the driver became threatening I told him he could call the police - he left with what I gave him - the correct amount plus tip he did not deserve due to his extortion attempt.

Thanks for the heads up on the taxis.  I purchased the Vatican Tickets but it appears I can't purchase the Colosseum tics until 30 days before.  

5 hours ago, Chris_FL said:

Thanks for the heads up on the taxis.  I purchased the Vatican Tickets but it appears I can't purchase the Colosseum tics until 30 days before.  

You're welcome!

Fortunately we had been warned, as having got myself lost, (taking a wrong exit from a Piazza near where we were staying) ending up some distance away and by that time out of water on a hot day, I was a bit stressed! Without the warning, I would have handed over more cash.

Rome is an amazing city, we have been several times and if we ever get back (not so young any more) there would still be new places to explore. Don't forget to throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain if you have time.

Enjoy!

I would totally do this on my own. It’s very easy to navigate from the port to the train station in Civitavecchia, €6 pp for the port shuttle.  You may find that a lot of taxis will decline the short ride to the train station as they’re looking for trips to Rome. Once you arrive at Roma Termini it’s very easy to get around on foot or by taxi. 

On 5/25/2023 at 11:10 AM, snowflake_quilter said:

I would say about 2 hours to do a full tour of the Colesseum. Are you planning to go walk the Forum too? That will take more time.

I tried to look up that excursion to see if I could tell when it leaves, and the Celebrity site kept telling me I had no internet access.

Two hours for the Colosseum?  No way.  With the crowds I was done with that place in 30-45 minutes, tops.  Your mileage may vary.