Avalon Romantic Rhine: Southbound

TMLAalum

For those who've taken this cruise which requires an all-aboard by 5pm the first night, then overnights in Amsterdam before leaving the following afternoon for Cologne, how much free time can we expect to explore Amsterdam?

We arrive the day of the cruise at 12:44pm via Thalys from Paris. We are travelling with a group of friends/family, most of whom want to visit the Anne Frank House for certain. Looking over the non-detailed itinerary for this cruise it appears the afternoon of boarding day is free; what about that evening since hours for the house go until 10pm? The following day's schedule shows Canals of Colorful Amsterdam or joining the Adventure host. The Afternoon offers a choice of free time or optional ($) excursion, but no mention of the all-aboard time.

Our dates in Amsterdam are 8/29 and 8/30 so there is time for the Anne Frank contingent to pre-book their tickets. Should they go for the afternoon of boarding day or that evening? Or would they be better off booking for the next day afternoon after Avalon's morning excursion?

Thanks, and BTW if you've not seen the series "A Small Light" about Miep Gies that is available on the Nat'l Geo channel and streaming on Disney & Hulu, I highly recommend it! It's inspired me to spend time at the Dutch Resistance Museum in Amsterdam, (DH and I aren't part of the AFH visitors).

A schedule that is provided now will give you a general idea of sailaway time, but all timing issues on river cruises are subject to change. If I were in your position I would get 12:30/1:00 tickets and head over to the House right after the canal cruise. A snack of street food should do for missing lunch onboard. 

I just reread OP’s post and see no mention of an all aboard time for the first day. Does Avalon always do boat drill on boarding day? If not, that first afternoon may be open until port talk/dinner time. 6:30/7:00 (?). Dinner is most likely to be “leisurely,” so I wouldn’t plan anything for after dinner. 
Still I would plan on “museuming” on the full day. 

@CPT Trips

All aboard is 5pm on Day One of the itinerary. Our TA has promised to contact Avalon to see about a more detailed schedule for our time in Amsterdam. The canal boat could be skipped by the Anne Frank folk if they've already done that on their previous time there, unless there is something special about the Avalon excursion.

DH and my Amsterdam canal boat voyage was on an historic saloon boat with 10 others from our Celebrity roll call- the group previous to us had a catered event and the food and drink left was there for us to enjoy. Don't know if Avalon's can compare to that!