Eurodam Explorations Cafe

1 hour ago, Sherbertscamper said:

I am assuming that the Explorations Cafe offers pastries at no charge, but charges for coffee. Is this correct? We love the International Cafe on Princess, and I realize the options on Holland are fewer.

Thanks!

Explorations Cafe specialty coffees are prepared by a barista, unless they are on break.

Pastries schedule:

6:30 - 10:30 AM - Regular and chocolate croissants

10:30 AM - 2:30 PM - Bran muffins

2:30 - 6:30 PM - Almond tart and muffins

6:30 - 9:00 PM - Chocolate crisps

Chocolate and vanilla biscotti most of the day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Pastries schedule:

Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Sherbertscamper said:

I am assuming that the Explorations Cafe offers pastries at no charge, but charges for coffee. Is this correct? We love the International Cafe on Princess, and I realize the options on Holland are fewer.

Thanks!

Almost the same question was asked by another poster for the Zuiderdam. It appears the only real  material difference is you can get hot savory items at the Princess International Cafe, where you might have to go to a non-coffee venue on HAL ships to get similar items - Dive inn, NY Pizza, and 24 hour Room Service.

As well as some  HAL ships who also offer the Dutch Cafe which is more similar to the International Cafe - though not open 24 hours a day. But HAL continues to offer 24 hour free room service. And it has very good choices.

Additionally, there are commercially packaged snacks for purchase in the ship store if one is really desperate.

The pastries at the Explorations cafe were mini - maybe 3 bites at most.  At least that’s how they were on the first Eurodam sailing to Alaska this year.  And the line to order coffee was out the door through the hallway each time I went.  People were ordering multiple coffees and asking for specials like they were at Starbucks (“ latte with extra shot, oatmilk, whip on top with caramel drizzle” like things).  

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

Pastries schedule:

@Sherbertscamper you are correct - pastries in Explorations Cafe are no charge, coffees are not.

As others mentioned, Grand Dutch Cafe is most similar to Princess International Cafe, but Eurodam does not have GDC.

37 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

And the line to order coffee was out the door through the hallway each time I went.  People were ordering multiple coffees and asking for specials like they were at Starbucks (“ latte with extra shot, oatmilk, whip on top with caramel drizzle” like things).  

I can't fault the Explorations Cafe for their customers. I've been known to cause a Starbucks to come to a grinding halt by ordering a "large black coffee." The employee will then ask me to clarify and I'll respond with, "Coffee, black in a large cup. Spell my name properly."

Methinks I might be a diner person. I get black coffee in a heavy, white ceramic mug. The waitress, who invariably calls me "hun/hon/darlin'", keeps refilling my mug until I signal "no more" which makes me happy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I can't fault the Explorations Cafe for their customers. I've been known to cause a Starbucks to come to a grinding halt by ordering a "large black coffee." The employee will then ask me to clarify and I'll respond with, "Coffee, black in a large cup. Spell my name properly."

Methinks I might be a diner person. I get black coffee in a heavy, white ceramic mug. The waitress, who invariably calls me "hun/hon/darlin'", keeps refilling my mug until I signal "no more" which makes me happy.

Starbucks can't get anything right.  I ask for a skinny latte extra hot no foam.  I have zero problems getting this heard properly on the ship and any other place I go.  At Starbucks it comes out with vanilla, caramel, oat milk you name it.  When I've complained it's all my fault because I don't say it as non fat milk.  Yup, that's it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, POA1 said:

One person at a time I don’t mind.  But when one person is ordering different special specialty coffees for their party of four.  And the 10 people ahead of me doing the same, it is too much.

I went there twice, for the generic cafe latte.  After that, I just grabbed a cup of regular coffee at the buffet.  

4 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

One person at a time I don’t mind.  But when one person is ordering different special specialty coffees for their party of four.  And the 10 people ahead of me doing the same, it is too much.

I went there twice, for the generic cafe latte.  After that, I just grabbed a cup of regular coffee at the buffet.  

There was a lot of that on the koningsdam.  It was super annoying.

On 5/28/2023 at 9:24 AM, Crew News said:

Pastries schedule:

OK but what about those amaaaaazing little custardy swirls with the raisins? Where/when do I find them?

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

I will have to ask in October.  Stay tuned

Brilliant! I had them at Explorations years ago but never spotted them on our recent Noordam cruise... UNTIL the very last day when they were in the dining room! I don't even know what they're called but I dream about them.

Edited by loveandpeas

2 hours ago, Aprilftay said:

What time does the pinnicale bar open...looks like the can make special coffee drinks..anyone tried going in the morning or know what time they open?

Great question.  I have reviewed my Daily Programs for the past four 2021-2023 cruises  (including the ones from the Nieuw Amsterdam 7-21 May, 2023) and none show the opening time of the Pinnacle Bar.  In fact, only the Ocean Bar is shown and it opens at 10:00 AM.  Looks like i will add bar open times to my October cruise questions to pose. 

The current Pinnacle Bar menu does not show any coffee drinks.

On Westerdam in April, the Pinnacle bar did not open until 5pm, although there was someone at the bar to make drinks for Pinnacle lunchers. 

I sat there and read quite often on sea days as the I found the chairs comfortable and had a good view. Never saw any coffee drinks being prepared -- other than an espresso martini of an evening....

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1