MedallionNet Questions

Kbears

Good afternoon,

I am looking to purchase the MedallionNet for our Itinerary. But we only have 2 devices. 

Is the only choice 1 device or 4 per reservation, or can both parties order the 1 device?

We only have 2 devices and seems to be a sketchy that we would have to pay almost double to add the 2nd device. 

Thank you. 

With the "one device" booking you can actually have as many devices as you like but each person can only be logged onto the system with one device at a time. My wife and I each use our phone and our tablet and are fine with the "regular" package where we get "one device" each.

Edit: Of course you do both have to have the "one device" package or else you can only be logged in on one device. You can share the login but it will be under one person's name and would be a bit of a nuisance.

Edited by Thrak

You are correct only 2 choices 1 device each or 4 devices.  You can share the one device option if you don't need to have internet on all the time you just log off your phone and the other person can log in to their phone.

Princess' MedallionNet plans are per person, not per reservation.  Each person on the reservation can purchase a single device plan.  If you wanted to only have one person on the reservation purchase a single device plan, then the two of you would have to share the plan, requiring one person to log off their device and the other person to log in on the other device.  In this instance, both would use the login credentials of the person who the plan is credited to.

As as been recommended above, it's more convenient to have each person purchase a single device plan for themselves.

The 4 device plan was designed for a single person who need to be logged in concurrently on more than one of their devices.

Even when She Who Must Be Obeyed deigns to cruise, we never spend our days glued to our devices.  In the olden days when we purchased a set number of minutes, the allowance was more than enough. The device has an off button and also airplane mode.  

Just sayin'.

22 hours ago, Wblotner said:

Have you done this?

13 hours ago, antsp said:

Yes, every time we cruise. 

But the Hotspot workaround is only useful when the two parties are in proximity to each other.  My wife and I and not quite joined at the hip when we are on a cruise.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Is it still the case that OBC can be used to purchase wifi once onboard at the same price as pre-purchasing pre-cruise?

The pricing on board is the same.  No discount for pre-ordering.

That said, it had been reported that guests were finding they could upgrade to the 4-device plan once on board for the OLD price difference and not the new difference.  I have believed that to be a bug in the Princess App and I have no idea if it is still happening.  I have posted two or three times in responding to questions if any CC member had experienced the 4-device upgrade pricing once on board in order to find out what the App is charging. 

For now, I would just wait until on board to order Medallion Net as no advantage to pre-order.   I would also book a 1-device plan and then check the upgrade cost after to see if worth doing that or just ordering another 1-device plan for the cabinmate.

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2023 at 4:28 PM, Kbears said:

Good afternoon,

I am looking to purchase the MedallionNet for our Itinerary. But we only have 2 devices. 

Is the only choice 1 device or 4 per reservation, or can both parties order the 1 device?

We only have 2 devices and seems to be a sketchy that we would have to pay almost double to add the 2nd device. 

Thank you. 

See my Post #13 above. 

The old pricing was such that the 4-device plan cost the same as 2x 1-device plans, so it was a no-brainer for a couple to order 1 4-device plan.  Now, it needs 3 people sharing to make it worthwhile, per the pricing. 

You might be lucky and find that upgrading from 1-device to 4-devices may not cost you $25 (as it should since costs are supposed to be $15 and $40).  If you can upgrade for anything <= $15, then do that instead.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

But the Hotspot workaround is only useful when the two parties are in proximity to each other.  My wife and I and not quite joined at the hip when we are on a cruise.

And...there are a number of carriers that don't allow their phones to be a hotspot from a WiFi signal, only cell data.  Or maybe it's just certain models of phones even on a carrier that does allow it.

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

See my Post #13 above. 

The old pricing was such that the 4-device plan cost the same as 2x 1-device plans, so it was a no-brainer for a couple to order 1 4-device plan.  Now, it needs 3 people sharing to make it worthwhile, per the pricing. 

You might be lucky and find that upgrading from 1-device to 4-devices may not cost you $25 (as it should since costs are supposed to be $15 and $40).  If you can upgrade for anything <= $15, then do that instead.

I knew you would know. Thank you!!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 1:41 PM, Rick&amp;Jeannie said:

And...there are a number of carriers that don't allow their phones to be a hotspot from a WiFi signal, only cell data.  Or maybe it's just certain models of phones even on a carrier that does allow it.

iPhones can’t share the wifi signal as they don’t have two wifi antennas to do this and only certain Android phones are able

to do this. If sharing a wifi signal than using a Windows PC or just getting a travel wifi router is your best bet.