Equinox medical issue

TXGREG

I wanted to provide some details about the way the Equinox medical team handled an issue on the May 4th cruise to the Southern Caribbean. 

At around 1030pm on the May 12th (last night of the cruise), there was a shipwide announcement that a passenger needed an emergency blood transfusion. They needed a male with either A positive or O negative  blood.  Many passengers and crew immediately gathered at the guest relations area to volunteer.

I have O negative blood and was in the volunteer group. A number of people were turned away since they had been drinking but 5 of us went down to medical. They took us back one by one after taking some basic information from us. They then drew blood to test it for the best match with the passenger.

I ended up being chosen.

I was extremely impressed with the nurses and the Dr. They were professional,  efficient,  and acted with a sense of urgency in order to get the transfusion done quickly.

I have never had any previous experience with the medical team on any cruise. The level of care for me after I gave blood was excellent. 

I would trust this group with my own care or my family's care if it was needed.

While it wasn't how I had planned to spend our last night at sea, it did give me a chance to see the medical team in action and allow me the chance to help someone in need.

I hope Celebrity rewards that group for their efforts on May 12th.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 14

5 hours ago, TXGREG said:

I wanted to provide some details about the way the Equinox medical team handled an issue on the May 4th cruise to the Southern Caribbean. 

At around 1030pm on the May 12th (last night of the cruise), there was a shipwide announcement that a passenger needed an emergency blood transfusion. They needed a male with either A positive or O negative  blood.  Many passengers and crew immediately gathered at the guest relations area to volunteer.

I have O negative blood and was in the volunteer group. A number of people were turned away since they had been drinking but 5 of us went down to medical. They took us back one by one after taking some basic information from us. They then drew blood to test it for the best match with the passenger.

I ended up being chosen.

I was extremely impressed with the nurses and the Dr. They were professional,  efficient,  and acted with a sense of urgency in order to get the transfusion done quickly.

I have never had any previous experience with the medical team on any cruise. The level of care for me after I gave blood was excellent. 

While it wasn't how I had planned to spend our last night at sea, it did give me a chance to see the medical team in action and allow me the chance to help someone in need.

I agree as we have had to utilize medical on a ship before and the care was excellent! 

6 hours ago, TXGREG said:

I ended up being chosen.

Aloha. You are blessed for volunteering and your kindness is overwhelming. I don’t know you of course but cannot express how wonderful a person you are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How amazing to hear.  Good karma is coming your way.  😊

We were on a cruise of the Med and they called for someone with I believe O blood.  My husband is a regular donor so my son and I hustled back to our cabin to wake him from a nap.  He called the medical centre and they had found many volunteers already.  It's great to know that so many will answer the call and the medical team can do these things.  

7 hours ago, TXGREG said:

I ended up being chosen.

I've never heard them do that but so glad you were able to help.

I was on that cruise and heard absolutely nothing about this. You would think people would have been talking about it on debarkation day. Strange. Anyway an amazing story. 

Edited by 39august

I was on this cruise sitting at cafe al bacio and was pins and needles on what was happening.  My husband also went down to guest relations and they had told us that they had volunteers.  Thank you so much for helping thid gentlemen.   Did you ever find out what happened?  Glad celebritys medical team was top notch.  I feel even more assured when sailing with them now.   You deserve a cruise :)

On our last TA on Beyond we had just left the Mediterranean Sea and entered the Atlantic heading towards the US. The Captain made an announcement that we were turning back towards Gibraltar due to a medical emergency.

We were having dinner at the Rooftop Garden Grill and watched as a helicopter approached, hovered overhead, then lowered a gurney. A few minutes later a passenger was hoisted up and the helicopter flew away.

Everyone was happy to later hear that the passenger had received treatment and was doing fine.

Medical emergencies do happen but X's crew is trained to handle them. 👍

• Like 1