Has anyone paid for their cruise with affirm and then the cruise price drops?

Hi, I had a friend book her cruise using the affirm payment option. I just checked the royal Caribbean website today and noticed that our cruise had dropped in price. Does anyone have any personal experience on how she should go about requesting the price drop?  

thanks for any help in advance 😊

She should call Royal, and not accept the first answer if they say she can't get the new price (as long as she's before final payment).  They'll adjust the price and update her balance which *should* mean any payment plan ends sooner but that part I'm not familiar with.  You always have to call though for price adjustments before final payment date (date final payment is due, not date you paid it).

And even then they might not allow it.  My recent request for adjustment was denied when I found the Military discount has been offered on our Sept. cruise.  Our final payment is June 5th!  They would not allow an adjustment and I spoke with two agents.  Things, they are a changin.

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

And even then they might not allow it.  My recent request for adjustment was denied when I found the Military discount has been offered on our Sept. cruise.  Our final payment is June 5th!  They would not allow an adjustment and I spoke with two agents.  Things, they are a changin.

Just curious as I have literally dealt with hundreds of price drops and never had one refused.

Were you trying to get the military discount applied to your original rate or was the new price that was advertised on Royals site which included the military discount lower than the price you paid.  Did you by chance book a restricted rate like a friends and family rate or even a group rate initially.

• Like 3

It should work that the decrease in price (if honored) is removed from the last few payments for example:

Original  $2000                             New $1500

$166.66 for 11 payments              $166.66 for 8 payments

$166.74 for 12th and final             $166.72 for 9th payment

**Side Note** Affirm may charge interest. So, just a word of caution that while it may seem like a great option that's only IF the interest rate is LESS than your credit card. Some credit cards offer travel protection or points/cash back, too. I'm not discouraging using Affirm, etc. Just want folks to be aware that while you can find 0% interest, it's not always the case. Affirm reports some loans to Experian. Therefore, taking out a loan with them may affect your credit score and failing to pay as agreed can impact your credit score.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just curious as I have literally dealt with hundreds of price drops and never had one refused.

Were you trying to get the military discount applied to your original rate or was the new price that was advertised on Royals site which included the military discount lower than the price you paid.  Did you by chance book a restricted rate like a friends and family rate or even a group rate initially.

Yes, new price was way higher even with the discount.  I was trying to get them to apply the military to my original price.  It wasn't restricted nor group, but...I had just paid it off early!  I've  gotten lots of adjustments in the past on regular fares but not this time.  All of those have been before final and not paid off.

Edited by BecciBoo

29 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Yes, new price was way higher even with the discount.  I was trying to get them to apply the military to my original price.  It wasn't restricted nor group, but...I had just paid it off early!  I've  gotten lots of adjustments in the past on regular fares but not this time.  All of those have been before final and not paid off.

Well that explains it.  Anytime you re-price, the entire fare is re-priced at today's rates.  You have never been allowed to add promotions, includibg military or resident rates to an existing fare without it being changed to the current rate.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That is also not our experience.  We had one adjusted almost $600 the last time we called on an deduction.  That was probably last year some time, in fact we were alerted to the lower rate by Merion's Mom right on these boards.  But it was the fare, not a discount.  Personally I don't see the difference but it's their policy.

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

That is also not our experience.  We had one adjusted almost $600 the last time we called on an deduction.  That was probably last year some time, in fact we were alerted to the lower rate by Merion's Mom right on these boards.  But it was the fare, not a discount.  Personally I don't see the difference but it's their policy.

You need to compare apples to apples (bottom line price), not apples to oranges (adding a new discount to your fare). 

If your booked fare is $X plus a $50 OBC and the current fare is $X-$100 with no OBC, you will be repriced at $X-$100 and the $50 OBC will be removed.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

You need to compare apples to apples (bottom line price), not apples to oranges (adding a new discount to your fare). 

If your booked fare is $X plus a $50 OBC and the current fare is $X-$100 with no OBC, you will be repriced at $X-$100 and the $50 OBC will be removed.

And it has always been that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Huh?  I agree with Ken.  A military "rate" is a promo.  A promo can only be used if it is in effect when you book it. If a promo appears later, you can only have it if you agree to the price the promo is now attached to. 

And Merion does not have a Mom.  Merion is a place.

• Thanks 1

P.S. & PSA

Internet is GREAT on the Oasis.  NEVER drops.  ALWAYS stays connected.  This is one thing that has gotten better lately.

(don't get me started on the baklava in the Solarium Bistro, which was always my favorite thing)

• Like 1