Perks or OBC from travel agent?

HappyTravels4ever

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Flatbush Flyer I respect your opinion.  We all have one.  My opinion is neither short sighted nor off base.  Those that think so, simply have a different point of view.  My opinion like many, are based on our experience on many, many cruises.  Just like a cruise, every person's experiences are different so how they handle cruise related items are a bit unique. 

Our world seems to be all about the only opinion that matters and is right is mine.  I personally feel that every opinion matters, none are really short sighted and as long as you are happy with the outcome all is good with the world.  As long as it does not negatively effect my experience. 

So want to ask for a part of a commission, go ahead.  Want to think it should be offered to have a long a lasting relationship, I hope that works out for you.  Want to let your valued team member make all their earned commission, your decision to make.  Want to give you opinion on the experience you have had, that is what social media is all about as long as we don't hurt someone else.  Making ones own decision is NOT short sighted.  It is being human.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

No one is questioning your decision or opinion. If you want to turn down a rebate offer, go right ahead.

My reply to your post was merely meant to respond to all those thread contributors who think that rebating disadvantages TAs.

A bit of research would clearly evidence that the reality of widespread rebating in all sorts of businesses is a proven profit-making strategy.

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No one is questioning your decision or opinion. If you want to turn down a rebate offer, go right ahead.

My reply to your post was merely meant to respond to all those thread contributors who think that rebating disadvantages TAs.

A bit of research would clearly evidence that the reality of widespread rebating in all sorts of businesses is a proven profit-making strategy.

As an Insurance Agent, as well as a Registered Investment Advisor, I may be in the lone career that prohibits rebating. Testimonials are also forbidden,

3 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I was responding to the comment regarding the comment regarding  rebating in all sorts of businesses. 

Yes, I know. That’s why I had said all SORTS OF…. rather than ALL businesses ….

AND used the added example of car salespeople and MSRP.

The bottom line here remains that pretty much every consumer advocacy organization/publication often suggests negotiating fee, prices, et al. 
Another great example of negotiation is real estate sales. Depending on the local market (e.g., San Francisco and NYC), a shack can easily cost $1 million +. In locations like that, I’d say discounted fees are very common and both sellers and their agents can have a mutually beneficial relationship.

We never “insist” on any kind of deal, rebate, etc.  What we do is simply shop around for the best overall deal (always found through various cruise agencies).  Those that prefer to spend more money on principle, are not much different than a person going to an auto dealer and demanding to pay the full retail price.  Each to their own….we think.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2023 at 9:23 PM, HappyTravels4ever said:

Hi,

I am not asking (yet?!?!) for TA names, but trying to get an idea of what perks your TA might give for a $20,000 cruise. Gratuities? OBC? Other?

To bring the thread back to your original question, I use an online agency which provides mostly essential services, so I usually need to know which cruise I want.  You can use the "request a quote tab" on their web site and enter general information and they'll come back with some quotes (including what perks and/or OBC the agency is throwing in.)  My last cruise booked through them was a rack rate of $18,000 fare by the time I had added in a couple of upgrades (wifi & enhanced beverage pkg)

My online agency provided the following: $1500 refundable OBC.  I got another $250 shareholder OBC, an additional $50 agency loyalty OBC, and then I bought discounted cruise line gift cards to pay off the whole balance.  In the end, the cruise came to about $15,000.

Certainly, the cruise line, itinerary, and any cruise line and agency promotions will affect your final outcome.  I did spend about another $500 for privately booked excursions.  As I wrote in an earlier post, the same itinerary, which was a week shorter, I got a free specialty dinner as a thank you for giving that other agency a $22, 000 booking.  So, it pays to shop around.  I would never walk into a mom & pop agency and demand a rebate, but if it's being offered by a bigger agency, that can make a cruise more affordable or give you the option to get a better cabin category.  

My preference is to get as much OBC as I can.  This way, I can decide which onboard perks I want to get, and not need to eat at a specialty restaurant just to use up a perk, nor do I want a complimentary photo package, or take an excursion I wouldn't have taken just to not let the free excursion go to waste.  If I want to get them, OBC will still make it possible without added costs to me.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

To bring the thread back to your original question, I use an online agency which provides mostly essential services, so I usually need to know which cruise I want.  You can use the "request a quote tab" on their web site and enter general information and they'll come back with some quotes (including what perks and/or OBC the agency is throwing in.)  My last cruise booked through them was a rack rate of $18,000 fare by the time I had added in a couple of upgrades (wifi & enhanced beverage pkg)

My online agency provided the following: $1500 refundable OBC.  I got another $250 shareholder OBC, an additional $50 agency loyalty OBC, and then I bought discounted cruise line gift cards to pay off the whole balance.  In the end, the cruise came to about $15,000.

Certainly, the cruise line, itinerary, and any cruise line and agency promotions will affect your final outcome.  I did spend about another $500 for privately booked excursions.  As I wrote in an earlier post, the same itinerary, which was a week shorter, I got a free specialty dinner as a thank you for giving that other agency a $22, 000 booking.  So, it pays to shop around.  I would never walk into a mom & pop agency and demand a rebate, but if it's being offered by a bigger agency, that can make a cruise more affordable or give you the option to get a better cabin category.  

My preference is to get as much OBC as I can.  This way, I can decide which onboard perks I want to get, and not need to eat at a specialty restaurant just to use up a perk, nor do I want a complimentary photo package, or take an excursion I wouldn't have taken just to not let the free excursion go to waste.  If I want to get them, OBC will still make it possible without added costs to me.

What are the rules for buying NCL stock and then gaining on-board-credit for being stock holder.  To clarify, I have no stock.  I can buy some, how much do I need and can I apply for the credit event though my final payment already passed.  

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

What are the rules for buying NCL stock and then gaining on-board-credit for being stock holder.  To clarify, I have no stock.  I can buy some, how much do I need and can I apply for the credit event though my final payment already passed.  

https://www.nclhltd.com/investors/shareholder-benefits

100 shares. I am not sure, but I assume that you could provide proof after final payment, and still receive the onboard credit.

Tom & Judy

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

As previously stated, a minimum of 100 shares is required.  I found that I have good luck with submitting the required paperwork 60 days from embarkation.  You can't submit it too far in advance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Please note that the NCLH shareholder OBC is not combinable with some fares (e.g., the recent Extraordinary and Summer sales).

• Thanks 1

can I apply for the credit event though my final payment already passed.  

Yes.  Final payment is often due 3-4 months before embarkation, whereas you can submit your Shareholder Benefit Request form anytime up until "at least 15 days prior to sailing" (per TFree's link posted above), though I wouldn't cut it that close in case things are slow around the office and they don't get to your request until you've already sailed.  In which case.....who knows?

• Thanks 1

To clarify, I have no stock. 

It's by no means a great stock to hold: hardly a growth stock at this point (and not likely for the foreseeable future), and it pays no dividends.  But at just below $17 today, you can pick up 100 shares and hold them until you sail.  Then see how you like the O experience.  

If your bones tell you that you're gonna be sailing this line for years to come, then the stock will pay for itself in another 16 cruises -- and that's if you only take cruises of fewer than 15 days.  Any longer than that, your NCLH benefit is $250 so you could break even at 7 cruises.  Caveat: Past performance does not guarantee future results.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

It's by no means a great stock to hold: hardly a growth stock at this point (and not likely for the foreseeable future), and it pays no dividends.  But at just below $17 today, you can pick up 100 shares and hold them until you sail.  Then see how you like the O experience.  

If your bones tell you that you're gonna be sailing this line for years to come, then the stock will pay for itself in another 16 cruises -- and that's if you only take cruises of fewer than 15 days.  Any longer than that, your NCLH benefit is $250 so you could break even at 7 cruises.  Caveat: Past performance does not guarantee future results.

Also applicable to NCL and Regent brands.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Booked on ESS, and did receive Shareholder OBC.

I should have added, "never hurts to request it though" for exactly this reason. The combinability terms for ESS said that this was not possible, but obviously it was 😉 O can be a bit unpredictable...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

I think @DrHemlock is looking at is for the stock to pay for itself.  I bought the stock and the original price is holding firm or advanced somewhat.  What makes me hold it is the idea that I'm getting more of a return from my next two cruises than the money would have gotten in a bank.  YMMV

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE HOLDINGS LTD. IS THRILLED TO OFFER OUR SHAREHOLDERS THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS:

$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 15 Days or More.
$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 7 to 14 Days.
$50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 Days or Less.

This exclusive benefit is reserved solely for shareholders owning a minimum of 100 shares of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. at time of sailing. Offer valid for any vacation on Norwegian Cruise Line®, Oceania Cruises® or Regent Seven Seas Cruises®, excluding charter sailings. Additional terms and conditions may apply.* To redeem this special offer, simply complete the attached Shareholder Benefit Request Form and mail or email (with accompanying documentation) request at least 15 days prior to sailing to:

logo-ncl.svg

Email:
ShareholderBenefit@ncl.com

To learn more about Norwegian Cruise Line visit www.ncl.com

logo-oceania.svg

Mailing Address:
Oceania Cruises
Shareholder Benefit Department 7665 Corporate Center Drive Miami, FL 33126

Email:
ShareholderBenefit@oceaniacruises.com

To learn more about Oceania Cruises

visit www.oceaniacruises.com

logo-regent.svg

Mailing Address:
Regent Seven Seas Cruises Shareholder Benefit Department 1401 NW 136th Avenue, Suite 101
Sunrise, FL 33323

Email:
ShareholderBenefit@RSSC.com

To learn more about Regent Seven Seas Cruises visit www.rssc.com

The stock can also be held in a retirement account as well.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

My TA gives 4 times United miles for balcony and below and 8 times for suites.  That $20,000 cruise would get me 160,000 miles, enough for a round trip business class flight to Europe.  All TA’s have their own perks.

This is really interesting; you get the miles from the TA, regardless of which credit card used?

• Like 1