🛳️🏝️🍹🥩 Semi-Live Trip Report: Wonder June 4-11

I didn't have the patience to caption them so just ask if you want to know what something is.

The ones that look like milkshakes (some have chocolate chips on top) basically are chocolate milkshakes with a shot of banana liquor... custom made for my non-drinking, big kid of a wife by our amazing SL bartender, Ajit. My wife brought him the chocolate chips from the waffle topping area in the WJ at breakfast. Later on she also brought him actual bananas from WJ.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking time to write the review and for the good information. I'm more hopeful for the food options now, although we will not be doing many, if any, specialty restaurants. We will be sailing on Wonder for the first time in October 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustUs275 said:

Thanks for taking time to write the review and for the good information. I'm more hopeful for the food options now, although we will not be doing many, if any, specialty restaurants. We will be sailing on Wonder for the first time in October 🙂

First, you’re welcome. Focus on the word  “options” b/c there are many, without spending a Penny extra.

Obviously we ate in CK a lot, and most meals there were very good, but when my wife & I sail alone, it’s in an interior with maybe 2 specialty meals during the week. I’m actually looking forward to eating at mostly included venues on our next 2 sailings. Always been a Park Cafe fan for both breakfast & lunch, I enjoyed the tacos at El Loco Fresh, WJ is hit & miss but there’s always something, we’ll pay for Mason Jar brunch again b/c it was that good, and we loved Playmakers on Indy so we’ll likely have burgers there one night (there’s a fee, of course, but it’s not exactly Chops). Sorrento's is usually just a late night snack for me but even their pizza was better than usual (very thin & crispy) and my wife had one made for lunch one day (she orders it sauceless & crispy so it’s more like cheesy bread). Never even tried The Dog House which has been hit & miss on other ships. Another option, if the menu is appealing, is having dinner at Solarium Bistro one night. It requires a reservation but it’s free. My wife is too picky for it but she went with me one night a long time ago & I thought it was pretty good. Some unique Mediterranean options for sure. 

I know I’m ignoring the MDR, which is a staple for most people not doing lots of specialty dining, but we haven’t been fans since way before covid or new menus so the negative comments don’t phase us. The few dishes that were sent up to CK seemed fine, not great & not horrible, which is kind of how we always viewed the MDR.

Just one man’s opinion, of course, but as someone who gains 7-10 lbs. on a 7-night cruise, I wouldn’t worry about the food.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Just one man’s opinion, of course, but as someone who gains 7-10 lbs. on a 7-night cruise, I wouldn’t worry about the food.

You are just working on your next winter's hibernation pelt.

I have been Doomsday Prepping WAY before you have. Those 7-10 lbs can buy you 20 days in the wilderness. You do not need to pack or can your food, it is always with you! I bring my "survival belt" everywhere I go.

☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Thanks for the review.  We're not "The Suite Life" cruisers, so don't have the DL and SL and CK experience, But friends of ours love them.  Especially for extended family cruises.

IMO, brunch is the best meal at Mason Jar, but not something we' do more than once (2 of us ordered 2/3 of the menu, LOL).  But outside of Playmakers for sports events, it's the best night bar on the ship.

Other than CocoCay, I didn't see anything on the ports.  Anything special or not so special at any of the 3?

As far as recommendations, other than the Mason Jar, we found Izumi Sushi, Giovanni's, Playmakers, and Hooked best for lunch.  150 Central, Wonderland and Chops are best for dinner.  DW loves Hooked for dinner too, but menu is close to lunch.  Same for Giovanni's at diner.  Hooked oyster shooters are great if you like oysters.  The oyster guy will make them right in front of you if you sit at the bar.  Smoke Rings drink at Wonderland (and you can just get it at the bar versus dinner) is a wonderful drink if you like bourbon cocktails.  Boleros has a rum, Zafra Master Reserve 21 years, that's an excellent sipping rum in a snifter.  Also their Caipirinha is very good.

17 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

IMO, brunch is the best meal at Mason Jar, but not something we' do more than once (2 of us ordered 2/3 of the menu, LOL).  But outside of Playmakers for sports events, it's the best night bar on the ship.

Other than CocoCay, I didn't see anything on the ports.  Anything special or not so special at any of the 3?

We were originally going to do dinner at Mason Jar next time as my picky wife likes the more savory stuff like chicken pot pie, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, etc., but she was fine having them for brunch and said we might as well pay half  the price and just do brunch again... which is fine by me b/c I liked pretty much every item I tried, lol.

I popped into Mason Jar one night just to try a funky drink with a D voucher and the place was jumping! We're not really "hang out at a bar" people, I usually just grab my drink and go, but I don't doubt you on that.

Ports - My extended family really does sail for the ship. My wife and I do too, just not to THAT great of an extent unless we're doing Nassau/CocoCay shorties. Our excursion of choice for the Mexican ports would likely be all-inclusive beach clubs, which seemed a little redundant. With SL perks and our D vouchers, I didn't need additional alcohol. The one place we really do want to tour is Roatan. We had a private tour planned in 2019 but high winds prevented Harmony from docking there so we missed it and were pretty disappointed. I offered a redo on that but my wife decided she'd rather just stick with the family.

We're doing this exact same itinerary next June and the plan is to do a beach club in Cozumel and then a long tour on Roatan. One other issue is that the ship leaves Costa Maya at like 2pm so that doesn't make for a very great beach club day either, which is a shame b/c we went to one there before that we really enjoyed.

If I understand the map of deck 17 correctly when you exit the elevator you have to walk past the Grand Suite doors to get to the entrance of the Coastal Kitchen or Suite Lounge. How does that work on boarding day? It seems like you would need to get past the locked doors without your card key then walk past the rooms while the room stewards are trying to clean them to gain access. Is that correct?

I prefer to wait in the suite lounge until the rooms are open. It just seems it is much more complicated on Wonder than it is on other Oasis class ships where you can just exit the elevator and enter the Suite Lounge/Coastal Kitchen.

19 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

As far as recommendations, other than the Mason Jar, we found Izumi Sushi, Giovanni's, Playmakers, and Hooked best for lunch.  150 Central, Wonderland and Chops are best for dinner.  DW loves Hooked for dinner too, but menu is close to lunch.  Same for Giovanni's at diner.  Hooked oyster shooters are great if you like oysters.  The oyster guy will make them right in front of you if you sit at the bar.  Smoke Rings drink at Wonderland (and you can just get it at the bar versus dinner) is a wonderful drink if you like bourbon cocktails.  Boleros has a rum, Zafra Master Reserve 21 years, that's an excellent sipping rum in a snifter.  Also their Caipirinha is very good.

Appreciate the suggestions but we don't do a ton of specialty dining. Our favorite was always the original Giovanni's Table for filet and pasta and we enjoyed Sabor on Harmony last year. Wife won't eat any seafood/sushi, Wonderland is way too exotic, and 150 wouldn't really work for her either. We do enjoy Playmakers (ate there on two separate Indy cruises last year) and obviously now Mason Jar. That's pretty much enough for us. We're frugal, she's picky, and we have simple tastes. We can appreciate a good steak (she had TWO filets for lunch on CocoCay, lol) but we're just as happy with a good burger and fries. Giovanni's Kitchen is the one place we could try... maybe after the next cruise when we hit D+ and get 2 BOGO meals (told ya we're frugal).

I've tried some of the crazy bourbon drinks and I just can't get past the bourbon. When drinking simple drinks at home I'm more of a vodka tonic guy. I like The Pitch from Playmakers (modified Long Island) so I asked our go-to SL bartender to make them for me many times and he had no problem doing so of course. His were even better than I had in Playmakers on Indy. I attributed it to skill (he said he opened Wonder and told us he would be opening Icon so he's obviously held in high regard) and to the fact that he was using top shelf everything. We took good care of him and he was a great guy, beyond his mixology skills.

12 minutes ago, ScubaCat3 said:

If I understand the map of deck 17 correctly when you exit the elevator you have to walk past the Grand Suite doors to get to the entrance of the Coastal Kitchen or Suite Lounge. How does that work on boarding day? It seems like you would need to get past the locked doors without your card key then walk past the rooms while the room stewards are trying to clean them to gain access. Is that correct?

I prefer to wait in the suite lounge until the rooms are open. It just seems it is much more complicated on Wonder than it is on other Oasis class ships where you can just exit the elevator and enter the Suite Lounge/Coastal Kitchen.

The glass doors that lead to the Grand Suites (and eventually the SL/CK) can be propped open so you just walk right in on embarkation day. TBH, they were propped open more often than they were locked during much of the week. If you care you can just pull the open one shut but it wasn't really a big deal to us. We were in 1722. Being literally steps away from the entrance to the SL/CK was pretty damn convenient, I must say. We're not suite people but the set up on Wonder with the suite sun deck above and all the GS's all right there on 17 really was well-designed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

The glass doors that lead to the Grand Suites (and eventually the SL/CK) can be propped open so you just walk right in on embarkation day. TBH, they were propped open more often than they were locked during much of the week. If you care you can just pull the open one shut but it wasn't really a big deal to us. We were in 1722. Being literally steps away from the entrance to the SL/CK was pretty damn convenient, I must say. We're not suite people but the set up on Wonder with the suite sun deck above and all the GS's all right there on 17 really was well-designed.

Thanks for the reply. So I guess the room stewards are okay with people using the hallway while they are working on boarding day. 

Just now, ScubaCat3 said:

Thanks for the reply. So I guess the room stewards are okay with people using the hallway while they are working on boarding day. 

My bad, I should have been clearer. The doors were indeed locked early on so we just went elsewhere. I'm not sure if we could have had someone open them to use the SL. After an early lunch in WJ we were just wandering and eventually the doors were propped open.

49 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

My bad, I should have been clearer. The doors were indeed locked early on so we just went elsewhere. I'm not sure if we could have had someone open them to use the SL. After an early lunch in WJ we were just wandering and eventually the doors were propped open.

Thanks. That was my concern. When I get the email from the suite concierge I will ask about boarding day access. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

First, you’re welcome. Focus on the word  “options” b/c there are many, without spending a Penny extra.

Obviously we ate in CK a lot, and most meals there were very good, but when my wife & I sail alone, it’s in an interior with maybe 2 specialty meals during the week. I’m actually looking forward to eating at mostly included venues on our next 2 sailings. Always been a Park Cafe fan for both breakfast & lunch, I enjoyed the tacos at El Loco Fresh, WJ is hit & miss but there’s always something, we’ll pay for Mason Jar brunch again b/c it was that good, and we loved Playmakers on Indy so we’ll likely have burgers there one night (there’s a fee, of course, but it’s not exactly Chops). Sorrento's is usually just a late night snack for me but even their pizza was better than usual (very thin & crispy) and my wife had one made for lunch one day (she orders it sauceless & crispy so it’s more like cheesy bread). Never even tried The Dog House which has been hit & miss on other ships. Another option, if the menu is appealing, is having dinner at Solarium Bistro one night. It requires a reservation but it’s free. My wife is too picky for it but she went with me one night a long time ago & I thought it was pretty good. Some unique Mediterranean options for sure. 

I know I’m ignoring the MDR, which is a staple for most people not doing lots of specialty dining, but we haven’t been fans since way before covid or new menus so the negative comments don’t phase us. The few dishes that were sent up to CK seemed fine, not great & not horrible, which is kind of how we always viewed the MDR.

We usually don't eat dinner in MDR anymore either - we tried it once last year and didn't go back. We usually do like WJ for dinner, and I definitely want to try Solarium Bistro! I'm almost convinced to try the Mason Jar brunch too, based on your review. We really like Park Cafe and Sorrentos - thin and crispy pizza sounds great! El Loco Fresh will be a must-try especially for me. WJ could be a disappointment though, because I've always enjoyed the wide variety of good choices. I am quite sure we will never find ourselves lacking for food! 😁 Thanks again!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

They were propped open when we boarded in Barcelona on embarkation day before the Nov. TA...and like you mentioned were really propped open too much during the cruise.  On sea days the wanderers just walked in, even those not in a suite.  Mostly it seemed during our 4 weeks that suite pax were leaving them open.  They are not auto close like the other Oasis class, you have to pull them back shut.

We were happy to be on the opposite hallway through the other set of glass doors.  Way less foot traffic over there.  Have the same cabin, 1770, booked again for our B2B in October.  Nice cabin.  🙂 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, island lady said:

We were happy to be on the opposite hallway through the other set of glass doors.  Way less foot traffic over there.  Have the same cabin, 1770, booked again for our B2B in October.  Nice cabin.

But I was SO MUCH CLOSER to the coffee machine, food, and bar! That was my ideal location, lol.

Glad we were both happy with our locations. In reality, I think you know I wouldn't have cared where I was. I'll be perfectly happy with my deck 9 & 10 interiors for the next 2.

We didn't actually notice many wanderers and the SL was incredibly quiet during the day. Multiple family members from our party were often alone at the bar getting to know our favorite bartender, Ajit.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

But I was SO MUCH CLOSER to the coffee machine, food, and bar! That was my ideal location, lol.

Glad we were both happy with our locations. In reality, I think you know I wouldn't have cared where I was. I'll be perfectly happy with my deck 9 & 10 interiors for the next 2.

We didn't actually notice many wanderers and the SL was incredibly quiet during the day. Multiple family members from our party were often alone at the bar getting to know our favorite bartender, Ajit.

We were in a junior suite on our Wonder cruise, and as Island Lady mentioned, the doors were propped open when we went to CK right after we boarded to make dinner reservations.  That was the first surprise.  The second surprise was that they were already taking reservations at CK before 11 am.  The third surprise was that we never had to do the dreaded junior suite knock on the CK door for the three dinners we reserved because the doors were always open.

A question that I have for you - were your seapass cards specially keyed for the elevators that went to the suite deck?  Our room was on deck 8 so we tried to take the elevator up to CK.  Without fail, we would always get the elevators that would only take us to deck 16.

7 minutes ago, splashsmom said:

A question that I have for you - were your seapass cards specially keyed for the elevators that went to the suite deck?  Our room was on deck 8 so we tried to take the elevator up to CK.  Without fail, we would always get the elevators that would only take us to deck 16.

No, you just got unlucky. Some elevators only go to 16, others go to 18. We pushed the button like anyone else and either got lucky or just walked the extra deck.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

No, you just got unlucky. Some elevators only go to 16, others go to 18. We pushed the button like anyone else and either got lucky or just walked the extra deck.

Same thing for us.  Never had a problem with elevator to 17.  Though we took the stairs as much as possible....except for coming back from port.  😉 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Same thing for us.  Never had a problem with elevator to 17.  Though we took the stairs as much as possible....except for coming back from port.  😉 

I also prefer the stairs, just don't like waiting for crowded elevators. Normally we're somewhere on a  middle deck like 9-10 so It's not that bad of a walk either up to the pool deck/Solarium/WJ or down to the Promenade.

It was a madhouse after we saw the aqua show one night so I decided to walk from 6 to 17... as someone allergic to exercise, those last few flights were rough! 🤣

• Haha 1