Katakolon to Olympia train or bus

thechocolatemom

I'm looking for someone who has recently traveled to Olympia from Katakolon by bus service or the train.  From my research, it appears that there is a train at times, but I haven't been able to figure out if it's running currently and if it's available on a Sunday.  I've also found a bus that states online it's 10 euro per person round trip.  I did contact them and they now charge 15 per person.  I'm looking for reviews and recommendations for either one.  We're not interested in booking a personal tour or renting a car.  Just trying to figure out the easiest way to get from port to Olympia.  Appreciate any recent experiences.  Thanks.

I have yet to read a report of someone who actually saw this train...

I've also thoroughly researched, and came up with the above bus (at 10 Euro pp return).

It gave us 2.5 hours in Olympia and it was just what we needed.

It's a bit "tricky" to find them, since their buses are now allowed inside the port area. They're just outside "Bus to Olympia"....

A few years ago we took one of the buses offering a returnticket to Olympia outside the pier. We had plenty of time to see the museum and the "ruins", even had time for a lunch in the village. I think we paid E. 15.- per person for the return. Worth it!

We're there next Wednesday.  Will try to report if we see/find the train.  I've pinned on Google Maps where I think the train station is (beside the Ktel bus station??) and noted the departure times.  That's our plan A.  From a few blogs I've read, it seems like there isn't a shortage of buses offering return trips to Olympia so if the train isn't there/running, we'll default to a bus.  

I was there on a Sunday in June 2023 and the train was not running on that day. We paired up with another couple and got a taxi to Olympia, the taxi waited two hours for us and then returned us to Katakolon for €80 which cost us €20 per person. There was no booths or anyone selling transport to Olympia at the dock exit but hopefully that will have changed this year.

We were there on a Wednesday in June 2022 and the train was running (one departure at 8.40 am and one return at 1.10pm.  There were numerous bus tours available €15 per person return.

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

We were there on a Wednesday in June 2022 and the train was running (one departure at 8.40 am and one return at 1.10pm.  There were numerous bus tours available €15 per person return.

Thank you!  This is what I was hoping to find.  We'll see if the training runs on a Sunday and if not, we'll take one of the busses.  Appreciate you taking the time to provide the information!  Hope you've had a lovely cruise.

On 6/7/2023 at 3:54 AM, Milhouse said:

We're there next Wednesday.  Will try to report if we see/find the train.  I've pinned on Google Maps where I think the train station is (beside the Ktel bus station??) and noted the departure times.  That's our plan A.  From a few blogs I've read, it seems like there isn't a shortage of buses offering return trips to Olympia so if the train isn't there/running, we'll default to a bus.  

If possible, could you see if the "Fun Train" that takes you to the winery and beach is running?  TIA!

17 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

If possible, could you see if the "Fun Train" that takes you to the winery and beach is running?  TIA!

Yup will try.  Was looking at that as an option instead of Olympia too.

• Thanks 1

There is a wonderful small museum in Katakolo - Museum of Ancient Greek Technology.  It is well worth a visit if you have a spare hour.  Many working models and explanations of how they did things back then.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 2:40 PM, PurpleTraveller said:

I was there on a Sunday in June 2023 and the train was not running on that day. We paired up with another couple and got a taxi to Olympia, the taxi waited two hours for us and then returned us to Katakolon for €80 which cost us €20 per person. There was no booths or anyone selling transport to Olympia at the dock exit but hopefully that will have changed this year.

Oops, typo mistake. I was there on a Sunday in June 2022 not 2023. Sorry.

Found the train and I'm writing this while waiting for the train to depart!  Limited departure times tho.  Took us about 15min to walk to the station.  Best visual landmark is a ferris wheel which is right beside the station.  

Best landmark on Google maps is a playground beside train tracks.

Saw the tourist fun trains.  Some are parked in a lot beside the train station but haven't seen them running yet as its likely early.

Edit:  Train departed on time at 8:40am. Not the single return time at 1:10pm. Apparently you pay on the train.  

A tout outside the port was quoting 15e return on a bus.

PXL_20230614_062537135.jpg

PXL_20230614_062640855.jpg

PXL_20230614_062704117.jpg

PXL_20230614_064100953.jpg

Edited by Milhouse
More details
  • Thanks 1

Pay 5e per person during the outbound and pay again during the return.  Ticket person/conductor came through a few mins after we were under way, spoke English, and reminded us of the return time.

Train makes a few short stops along the way.

PXL_20230614_070723783.jpg

Tourist fun train seems to be running.  Came across this placard along the shopping street on the way to the Olympia train and it was gone in the afternoon. 

And I saw the train moving in the lot beside the Olympia train but it was empty.  I think they had dropped pax off and was looping around.

PXL_20230614_062152697.jpg

PXL_20230614_121622240.jpg

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

@Milhouse

Thanks for the updates and confirmations.  That will be very helpful for other cruisers arriving into Katakolo during the season.

Hope you enjoyed your day.

I'm just very appreciative of the cruise critic community identifying these as potential options in the first place.  I wouldn't have known these options existed in the first place!  Happy to help build on the original information, even though it is subject to change obviously (ie make sure you have a back up plan).

• Thanks 2

Thanks for this info. So it sounds like from this thread there’s transportation options readily available at port ? Are skip the lines passes needed here and are they available ? Thanks all! 

I read on another string that the Olympia archaeolgy site tickets can sell out and one should buy them on-line to make sure you get one.  is this true?  Did anyone have trouble getting into Olympia once you arrived there?

17 hours ago, CMW21 said:

Thanks for this info. So it sounds like from this thread there’s transportation options readily available at port ? Are skip the lines passes needed here and are they available ? Thanks all! 

14 hours ago, thefanman said:

I read on another string that the Olympia archaeolgy site tickets can sell out and one should buy them on-line to make sure you get one.  is this true?  Did anyone have trouble getting into Olympia once you arrived there?

From my experience, a person was promoting 15E buses (return) to Olympia just outside the port gate which is within easy walking distance.  However, it is far enough that someone we passed that had walking difficulties was taking about paying a taxi to take them the rest of the way from the gate to the gangway.

The train was a 10-15min walk from our ship's gangway.

Taxis are also available within the port IIRC.

Not sure what you are referring to for skip the lines.  

A 12E ticket gets you access to the archeology museum, the archeology site, and the Olympic Games Museum.  The archeology museum is relatively large with a number of rooms.  The archeological site grounds is quite expansive.  Saw many tour groups all over the place.  The Olympic museum has many rooms but there are some relatively narrow halls so I can see it getting congested.

We did not have problems entering any of the three places. 

Side note, the circuit seems like it can be done in two directions depending on which direction you head: archeology museum-archeology site-Olympic museum or vice versa.  The Olympic museum is kind of uphill.

Hello everyone,

First time in Olympia on a cruise stop. I was planning on getting to Olympia on my own and exploring the ancient sites using the Train. Thanks to the poster for all the pics 🙂

For anyone who has visited the Ancient ruins recently. Do you know if there are tour guides available on the spot at the site?

On 6/12/2023 at 8:38 PM, VMax1700 said:

There is a wonderful small museum in Katakolo - Museum of Ancient Greek Technology.  It is well worth a visit if you have a spare hour.  Many working models and explanations of how they did things back then.  

Second that. A very interesting and surprisingly good museum.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, michelle028 said:

Hello everyone,

First time in Olympia on a cruise stop. I was planning on getting to Olympia on my own and exploring the ancient sites using the Train. Thanks to the poster for all the pics 🙂

For anyone who has visited the Ancient ruins recently. Do you know if there are tour guides available on the spot at the site?

Definitely not a definitive answer but we didn't encounter or come across any obvious guides offering services at the train station or outside the entrances of either museums or the archeology site last week.

8 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Definitely not a definitive answer but we didn't encounter or come across any obvious guides offering services at the train station or outside the entrances of either museums or the archeology site last week.

@michelle028 The Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports book has a tour guide listed in it with contact info.  In the Port of Katakolo section.  Rick Steves also mentions the lack of tour guides, unlike many other popular ancient sites.

Edited by ninjacat123