Please tell me about this Egg drop thing 😂

My first ever Princess Cruise in August. I’ve read some recent Patters posted on here and seen talk on cruise critic of one or other of the following. Either:

1. The annoyingly loud & messy egg drop which they should ban

OR 

2. That must do activity, the very funny much revered Egg drop which you should at least watch

So, how does it work?

Do you win anything? Or is not splattering your fellow cruiser with egg enough? 😂 

tips & tricks, sign up process info & funny stories all welcome here please 🙏 

I guess you could call me an IC Rat, because of all the time I spend sitting in the Atrium near the IC (I drink lots of cappuccino and coffee.  One benefit is that we are constantly entertained by the the various activities in the Atrium...including the egg drop.  And the egg drop is always entertaining, harms nobody (except the eggs) and is just good fun.  If there is a prize, it might be a bottle of champagne or something similar.  

And nobody gets splattered as the cruise staff keeps the target area clear.

Hank

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If there is a prize, it might be a bottle of champagne or something similar.  

No champagne any longer. It's only a coaster or sometimes a notebook.

Times are tough.

• Haha 4

Actually, the prize may or may not still be a bottle of champagne. YMMV. Also, some egg drop challenges might be very spontaneous, where all of those interested will kind of just make their egg drop contraption right then and there. But a recent cruise saw the egg erop sign-up be about a week before the actual drop, which gave participants a lot of time to be creative and thoughtful in their designs. The winner of the last egg drop I saw was lauded for their engineering of the contraption holding the egg within their overall design.

Again, the vibes you encounter will all be dependent on your ship's entertainment staff and also the length of your cruise (IMO the longer the cruise, the more easygoing and thoughtful).

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

No champagne any longer. It's only a coaster or sometimes a notebook.

Times are tough.

Im odd & I don’t drink so if I won, which I won’t, a person near me is going to get gifted that champagne bottle

They are always trying to get you to go places with the promise of a glass of bubbly. I might turn up if they are handing out free coasters for my cuppas 😂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I guess you could call me an IC Rat, because of all the time I spend sitting in the Atrium near the IC (I drink lots of cappuccino and coffee.  One benefit is that we are constantly entertained by the the various activities in the Atrium...including the egg drop.  And the egg drop is always entertaining, harms nobody (except the eggs) and is just good fun.  If there is a prize, it might be a bottle of champagne or something similar.  

And nobody gets splattered as the cruise staff keeps the target area clear.

Hank

Been reading the recent patters posted by people on 2 week Scandinavian / Iceland cruises- I’m really amazed at the number of activities that happen in the Piazza

Think it’s brilliant and can easily see myself at the cafe people watching & enjoying it all 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snoozecrooze said:

a recent cruise saw the egg erop sign-up be about a week before the actual drop, which gave participants a lot of time to be creative and thoughtful in their designs

This is what seemed to be happening on the patters I saw for a 2 week Iceland/ Norway cruise

I didn’t realise they also did spontaneous ones too

1 hour ago, snoozecrooze said:

Again, the vibes you encounter will all be dependent on your ship's entertainment staff and also the length of your cruise (IMO the longer the cruise, the more easygoing and thoughtful).

I’m on a 2 week Norway cruise in August on Sky

I hope I’ll have a great entertainment team on board 🤞

2 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

Is this typically on every sailing?

in my experience, it is on many cruises but not all (will depend on the cruise director/staff) on  some ships you can gather stuff & pre-make your egg drop container (maybe the most creative i have seen was stuffing it in a container of cooked oatmeal from the buffet) & on others you can only use the items they supply (think paper towels, stir sticks, disposable coffee cups, string & tape) I have only small Princess/ship branded items as prizes (like coasters)

They had it last week on the Grand and the prize was a small blue notebook with the sea witch embossed on the cover. 

If you want to win a bottle of bubbly that's the prize in the Yes -  No game

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

They had it last week on the Grand and the prize was a small blue notebook with the sea witch embossed on the cover. 

If you want to win a bottle of bubbly that's the prize in the Yes -  No game

That's a shame since some people do put a lot of effort into the egg drop contest. 

7 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Well…. Rule Number 6 is disappointing

that blows that idea out the window 🤷‍♀️ 😉 

Rule 6 doesn't eliminate the use of large children, nor adults, for that matter.

Edited by damiross
  • Haha 2

On the Crown, for the upcoming June 13th - 23rd Alaskan Cruise, the sign ups are on Day 1 at 9:45-10:00am and the drop is a few hours later, at 1:30pm same day.  That doesn't give much time for the newbies to figure it out.  It is better if there is a few days in between to get creative or at least have it on Day 2 or another sea day.

OK here I am asking a question about the egg drop? Is there a certain day that it happens in the A trim area, as I definitely do not want to miss not seeing this happen,or is this something that people on the ship make up and drop themselves???

1 hour ago, beshears said:

OK here I am asking a question about the egg drop? Is there a certain day that it happens in the A trim area, as I definitely do not want to miss not seeing this happen,or is this something that people on the ship make up and drop themselves???

It usually takes place in the Piazza towards the end of the cruise and will be posted in the Patter.  The passengers who chose to participate, possibly 10 or so, will build devices to protect their egg & drop them from deck 7 onto a plastic sheet spread out for protection. Each participant lines up and drops their egg in succession having their egg checked for cracks after landing.

• Like 1