Canadian Football League Games at Playmakers

Just wondering if Playmakers carry the CFL?  Is this something I can ask the bartender to put on when on the ship?  We'll be on Navigator of the seas on September 29, 2023 when my team plays the Toronto Argonauts and I would love to see the game and partake in a few frosty beverages. 

ESPN Caribbean syndicates sports from other networks. That's how they can show March Madness on board.

But as we enter the time of year when the only American sport still in season is baseball, I guess there's a chance CFL might be on.

• Like 1

Prior to the shutdown ships with Playmakers had the ability to pick from a wider variety of sports content beyond ESPN Caribbean or ESPN International.  Often Playmaker ships showed all kinds of sports on different TVs.

Since the restart it's not a clear if Royal maintained these extra subscriptions to sports content on Playmaker ships.  

• Like 1

The ship has ESPN and it will be restricted to the ESPN of the region that the ship happens to currently located.   In your case ESPN Mexico. I checked the schedule for ESPN mx this week and there is no CFL listed.  I doubt it will be different in Sept. 

Your best and only option to watch would be to stream it yourself with your TSN subscription and a VPN located in Canada.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Toddcan said:

Hardly anyone in Canada watches CFL, so I'd faint if I saw it onboard any ship, even for the grey cup. 

This is what I was wondering.  The market for this is pretty small.  Of course, the demand for watching cricket is present small on a cruise ship, yet they broadcast it a lot.  Sports coverage on the ships is not great per all the other comments about ESPN Caribbean.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

I know that the Grey Cup was on a RCI cruise a few years ago. I won $500 on the game and I don't even remember which teams were playing. I spent a lot my winnings buying beers for the crying losers.

Im Canadian and i can honestly say i have never watched a CFL game ever. 

I watch USA college and NFL games extensively though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loman said:

Im Canadian and i can honestly say i have never watched a CFL game ever. 

I watch USA college and NFL games extensively though.

I exclusively watch the CFL.  Longer and wider field and you have to get 10 yards for a first down in only 3 tries, unlike the NFL and 4 cracks at it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BBQ Bacon said:

I exclusively watch the CFL.  Longer and wider field and you have to get 10 yards for a first down in only 3 tries, unlike the NFL and 4 cracks at it.

Run , pass , kick . 

Its tougher to get 10 yards in the NFL, hence ... 4 downs . 😄

• Like 1

Go Lions Go... Orange and black forever.  

I was a thirty year season ticket holder.  I love CFL football. Wide open field, all of the in motion offense, the ball constantly in the air.

Nothing better 🙂 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

The field is so big in the CFL , its just a matter of time before the receiver gets open ,

and with no pass rush , the QB has all day to throw the ball.

And dont get me started on the size of the end zone , lol . 😀

The CFL is truly a different game ,I didnt think anyone south of the border had any any

interest in the CFL.

Lots of NFL fans up here .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, loman said:

The field is so big in the CFL , its just a matter of time before the receiver gets open ,

and with no pass rush , the QB has all day to throw the ball.

And dont get me started on the size of the end zone , lol . 😀

By that logic if the NBA raised the height of the hoop by two feet and decreased the diameter by 15 percent it would be a better game 🙂 

Just teasing 😉 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

By that logic if the NBA raised the height of the hoop by two feet and decreased the diameter by 15 percent it would be a better game 🙂 

Just teasing 😉 

Me likes,  LOL 

A Canadian defending the NFL and an American showing some love for the CFL .😀

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, loman said:

Me likes,  LOL 

A Canadian defending the NFL and an American showing some love for the CFL .😀

Well... not quite 🙂 

I'm Canadian, I just live in the US. I've been here since 2016.

I went to my first CFL game in 1977.  BC Lions vs. Ottawa Roughriders at old Empire Stadium. Jerry Tagge threw the winning touchdown to Jim "dirty thirty" Young with no time left on the clock.  It was such an exciting finish, I was 11 years old and I was hooked for life. Ive been through all the highs and lows and there have been some real lows (do you remember the US expansion). But I'll defend the league to my death.  I think it is really exciting and fan friendly.  How can you not like the no fair catch!

I still follow the Lions from a distance but haven't been to a game since 2015.  

CFL+ now lets me continue the tradition.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

Its hard to get excited about any league with only 9 teams and 6 make the playoffs🤣

odds used to be good for the "roughriders" 😛   

4 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

Its hard to get excited about any league with only 9 teams and 6 make the playoffs🤣

I remember the lean years for the Bombers...but now we're riding high and I'm loving every minute of it until it too comes to an end.