NJ is NOT NY!

3dogmom

22 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

It is rare. I recall 1 possibly 2 ships in the past 5 years stopping at Cape Liberty. Aidaย  & TUI may have been the cruise lines.

ย 

22 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

It is rare. I recall 1 possibly 2 ships in the past 5 years stopping at Cape Liberty. Aidaย  & TUI may have been the cruise lines.

That mustโ€™ve been disappointing (not knocking NJ, Iโ€™m 20 miles from Bayonne).

5 hours ago, meadowlander said:

As you now know, you reached a very false conclusion. If you have a port call inย  Venice don't hesitate to seek our help agsin.

ย 

I had a port stop in Venice....and docked in Veniceย ๐Ÿ˜€

Recently boarded a cruise ship in Bayonne, and we went from MidTownย  Manhattan to Bayone by

• PATH train from Penn Station to Grove Street (Jersey City),
  • Lyft from Grove St to Cape Liberty/Bayonne

ย 

It's a good system because for $2.75 you avoid both the slow and expensive part of leaving the city on a pretty decent speed train, and then the Lyft was quick and easy.ย 

Train Penn-Grove St $2.75/ea; LyftXL $22 from Grove St to Cape Liberty.

whereas the estimated LyftXL straight from mid-town was around $100.

ย 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, scottbee said:

Recently boarded a cruise ship in Bayonne, and we went from MidTownย  Manhattan to Bayone by

ย 

It's a good system because for $2.75 you avoid both the slow and expensive part of leaving the city on a pretty decent speed train, and then the Lyft was quick and easy.ย 

A correction here: the PATH train departs from Greeley Square, at the intersection of 32nd Street and Sixth Avenue, one avenue east of the eastern end of Pennsylvania Station. If you go to Pennsylvania Station, you will not find the PATH train. The name of the PATH station is "33rd Street" (notwithstanding the fact that the station is between 32nd Street and nearly 30th Street).

ย 

The most expensive part of a hired car service is the crossing between New York and New Jersey, so by traveling between the two states using the PATH train there can be a significant savings.

ย 

One can also alight from the PATH train in Hoboken or Jersey City (Pavonia or Exchange Place) and transfer to a light rail train destined for Bayonne. It is an extra $2.25 per person, and when alighting from the light rail train in Bayonne (45th Street or 34th Street), a hired car to the port will cost about $10. It is an additional savings, though not nearly as much of a savings as the interstate (PATH) portion of the trip.

14 hours ago, scottbee said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

15 hours ago, scottbee said:

ย 

ย 

How recently did you do this? I ask because 5 weeks ago Uber wasย  charging $16 from the light rail station in Bayonne 2 miles from Cape Liberty. You got an outstanding rate from Lyft from a locationย  much further away from CL.

ย 

Taxi rate is $12 from the light rail station in Bayonne. I don't want anyone to falsely believe the fare is $10 because for accuracy, it is not "about $10". Anyย  cruisers from Bayonne in the past 4 weeksย  can inform if the price dropped, doubtful that occurred.

Edited by meadowlander

19 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

How recently did you do this? I ask because 5 weeks ago Uber wasย  charging $16 from the light rail station in Bayonne 2 miles from Cape Liberty. You got an outstanding rate from Lyft from a locationย  much further away from CL.

ย 

If there is a lot of demand you will get hit with surge pricing. Both Uber and Lyft do it but since there is more demand for Uber than Lyft I often avoid surges by using Lyft for the same locations. I usually check both apps and compare because sometimes one or the other will offer a discounted ride.ย 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meadowlander said:

ย 

Taxi rate is $12 from the light rail station in Bayonne. I don't want anyone to falsely believe the fare is $10 because for accuracy, it is not "about $10". Anyย  cruisers from Bayonne in the past 4 weeksย  can inform if the price dropped, doubtful that occurred.

6 weeks ago. $22+tip for a Lyft XL (6 passenger - 3 of us with luggage)

image.thumb.png.7767d5306100c5aedd91390e2ae97a05.png

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GTJ said:

A correction here: the PATH train departs from Greeley Square, at the intersection of 32nd Street and Sixth Avenue, one avenue east of the eastern end of Pennsylvania Station. If you go to Pennsylvania Station, you will not find the PATH train. The name of the PATH station is "33rd Street" (notwithstanding the fact that the station is between 32nd Street and nearly 30th Street).

You're right, it's 33rd Street Station, one block from Penn Station.ย  Still, a great way of dealing with it.

ย 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:01 PM, meadowlander said:

I feel violated having paid $12 pre tip for a 2 mile ride compared to your bargain Lyft rate ๐Ÿ˜

Did you not know and agree to the fare before you took the ride?

• 4 months later...
On 6/7/2023 at 9:54 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Not that many years ago, before jet planes wiped out the transAtlantic shipping lines, there were so many piers along the west side of Manhattan - Cunard, US Lines, W R Grace, Furness Bermuda, the French and Italian Lines, Swedish American, etc. โ€” it seems a bit sad that so little of that infrastructure was preserved.

It was so much fun to go up to the docks and visit the ships on the day they sailed.ย ย